• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Are their any interesting thing's about the fandom beginners wouldn't really know about?

ChronoTheFurry

I do art now! (Profile picture isn't done by me)
Hey I am Chrono and I recently think I am a furry,

I have always had an appreciation towards animals and anthropomorphic animals in cartoons.

I was wondering if there are things a newbie ( like me :p) could learn about the fandom!

Also I haven't picked out a fursona yet please don't judge me (>_<)

VeeStars

uh I can explain?

I have always had an appreciation towards animals and anthropomorphic animals in cartoons.

I was wondering if there are things a newbie ( like me :p) could learn about the fandom!

Hiya :3. Welcome to the forums, new fren!

Here's a little tidbit right off the bat. We won't judge you if you don't have a fursona! In fact, you don't really need a fursona to be a part of the fandom. If you want to make one, go ahead, it's fun to make fursonas! But if it is more stressful than fun to you, there's no pressure. I know quite a few people without a 'real' fursona, like myself. Also, we gladly accept newcomers into the fandom, ask all the questions you want and we'll get you up to speed. Hope I can help you :p

Gabriel Foxx

An absoultely trustworthy fox. Trust me.
Hello there! Welcome to the forums and the fandom!

There is a lot to learn about the fandom, but it all depends on how interested you are. A good thing I found to read was the International Anthropomorphic Research Project pdf here https://www.furscience.com/wp-conte...-Science-Final-pdf-for-Website_2017_10_18.pdf. It outlines a lot about the fandom, and though it's a bit stats heavy, I found it interesting anyhow.

Basically, in the end, if you want to be part of the fandom, you are. Welcome to the family! It's fine (and many simply do this) to say you're in the fandom and not really care at all about what other people are doing. And don't worry about the fursona thing. Nobody really cares, and for most people it's just an online avatar to represent yourself. Unless you're like me and write countless hours about yours ;)

ChronoTheFurry

Hiya :3. Welcome to the forums, new fren!

Here's a little tidbit right off the bat. We won't judge you if you don't have a fursona! In fact, you don't really need a fursona to be a part of the fandom. If you want to make one, go ahead, it's fun to make fursonas! But if it is more stressful than fun to you, there's no pressure. I know quite a few people without a 'real' fursona, like myself. Also, we gladly accept newcomers into the fandom, ask all the questions you want and we'll get you up to speed. Hope I can help you :p
Thanks any also I like your profile picture (I have played Persona 5 too its awesome :D)
Hello there! Welcome to the forums and the fandom!

There is a lot to learn about the fandom, but it all depends on how interested you are. A good thing I found to read was the International Anthropomorphic Research Project pdf here https://www.furscience.com/wp-conte...-Science-Final-pdf-for-Website_2017_10_18.pdf. It outlines a lot about the fandom, and though it's a bit stats heavy, I found it interesting anyhow.

Basically, in the end, if you want to be part of the fandom, you are. Welcome to the family! It's fine (and many simply do this) to say you're in the fandom and not really care at all about what other people are doing. And don't worry about the fursona thing. Nobody really cares, and for most people it's just an online avatar to represent yourself. Unless you're like me and write countless hours about yours ;)
Thanks for the info! Gonna check it out thanks for the help!

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
Thanks any also I like your profile picture (I have played Persona 5 too its awesome :D)

Thanks for the info! Gonna check it out thanks for the help!
Neat :3. I'm currently playing it now, around 35 hours or so in. I love the game but I have a hard time finishing/consistently playing games due to my shit attention span, but I'm working my way through it.

Bluefiremark II

Magic Blue Phoenix
I'll just say, to be a furry, all ya gotta do is like anthropomorphic animals, you don't need a suit, you don't need to roleplay, you don't need to *do* anything, but there is plenty of stuff to the fandom.

Don't have a sona? That is fine, if ya want to make one you can but it isnt necessary~ if ya need help, just wanna chat, or somethin, feel free to message me. ^-^ i am great with characters :3

ChronoTheFurry

Neat :3. I'm currently playing it now, around 35 hours or so in. I love the game but I have a hard time finishing/consistently playing games due to my shit attention span, but I'm working my way through it.
Feel you there... I always get to Madarame's palace or the guy after and I always take a break from the game get back to it a few weeks later and say "Well might as well start over since I don't remember the story!" I have given up at this point and just watched a play through .3.

ChronoTheFurry

I'll just say, to be a furry, all ya gotta do is like anthropomorphic animals, you don't need a suit, you don't need to roleplay, you don't need to *do* anything, but there is plenty of stuff to the fandom.

Don't have a sona? That is fine, if ya want to make one you can but it isnt necessary~ if ya need help, just wanna chat, or somethin, feel free to message me. ^-^ i am great with characters :3
Thanks for reaching out to me! :3 I am actually surprised how nice the community is considering the internet portray furries in a bad way, you guys, gals and others are the best!

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
Feel you there... I always get to Madarame's palace or the guy after and I always take a break from the game get back to it a few weeks later and say "Well might as well start over since I don't remember the story!" I have given up at this point and just watched a play through .3.
I know the pain, I know the pain very well. I did that with a few games and killed the fun, so I am not doing that. I've watched a walkthrough! JK, I watched a guy play the tycoon card game from Persona 5 Royal b/c I don't have royal... :(

Bluefiremark II

Magic Blue Phoenix
Thanks for reaching out to me! :3 I am actually surprised how nice the community is considering the internet portray furries in a bad way, you guys, gals and others are the best!
Oh yeah~ the fandom is a very nice place ^^ just misunderstood from all the stereotypical hate it recieves. Now there ARE bad people in it, just as in everything, but outsiders tend to exaggerate that to all furries ^^

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet

Welcome!

You don't have to have a 'sona to be in the fandom.

You also don't have to own a fursuit or ears or a tail or have any other furry-related stuff.

The thing about the fandom is that it's diverse. . .just sort of pick out the things you enjoy.

ChronoTheFurry

I know the pain, I know the pain very well. I did that with a few games and killed the fun, so I am not doing that. I've watched a walkthrough! JK, I watched a guy play the tycoon card game from Persona 5 Royal b/c I don't have royal... :(
Good luck! Stick to it! :3
Oh yeah~ the fandom is a very nice place ^^ just misunderstood from all the stereotypical hate it recieves. Now there ARE bad people in it, just as in everything, but outsiders tend to exaggerate that to all furries ^^
Phew that Fur science PDF you sent me was super long felt like a college lecture .3.! I learned a lot and thank you for sending it on to me! You furries are the best .///.
Welcome!

You don't have to have a 'sona to be in the fandom.

You also don't have to own a fursuit or ears or a tail or have any other furry-related stuff.

The thing about the fandom is that it's diverse. . .just sort of pick out the things you enjoy.
That's cool I don't have to do some intitation process or anything :) ! Glad to join a nice fandom with people as nice as you people!

Well..... its a very big community but it has small origins. Originally started in the late 70s as a fan circle of people who traded ion comic books and cartoon bootleg tapes and reels. I knew of a number of them who also worked as mascots in theme parks, disneyland, and other places where mascots were called for. Some of the old guard have also told me that the fandom from the onses also had a huge queer population and gay hookups were very common. Youll probably see the pull between non-erotic and the lifestyle side of the fandom. sometimes we all get along, other situations there is conflict between the lifestylers and the non erotic fans. I hope often that we can learn to just get along.

Furriness is a very big community, it can be a little overwhelming to get into nowadays i imagine. when i got into it it was much smaller. and on old websites. So it felt a lot more intimate. Its also not just art and fursuits. For example, im really heavy into the stuffed animal collecting and being a part of that subgoup. Its one that you dont see as much of nowadays since stuffed animals are not as commonplaxe and ubiquitous as they were in the 90s. but we could always use more fans and there is still some lovely stuffed plushies u can find if you look for them. :p

Some people dont ever pick out fursonas. i myself went through a few as i tried to hone down on who i am in my identity.

As u get into the community, try out a lot of things and find the kind of art and subjects you like. Though, one thing i would advise is be caustions about the more vitriolic and nasty people out there. We all are sort of social outcasts or different in a way. Thats what draws us into wanting to be furries. It can make us more caring of each other at times since we all realize we have this feeling of being not normal, but some come in with a lot of emotional baggage. And some of them will come with a chip on their shoulder. Ive seen a lot of what i call 'self-hating furs' people i would say are interested in the fandom, but are so bothered by the idea of how outsiders look at them that they take it out very aggressively on what they think is bizzare or weird or embarassing about the community. There's not too much of them but dont spend a lot of time listening to anyone raging on about how much they hate or are embarrassed by the fandom! I dont think that mentality is good for anyone. which then leads into a piecce of advise i would give. Seriously, ignore the trolelrs and any of the various internet bullies that have targeted our community for years and still do (like all the many site takedown attacks that happen to FA!). People will not understand one being furry and some online may be outright hostile, so the key thing is to recognize that this is who you are... youre definitely unique and special for it, and no one is going to stop you from liking what you like!

FA is definitley the biggest site, there is also weasyl which is another good site. Deviant art also has a strong furry community. and is a place to go to for non erotic art. andother resource to find out about artists or terms in the community is Wikifur

But the last resource id like to leave is somethign that most peiople have totally forgotten but if u want to check out would be an interesting adventure.. :p
Before furaffinity, the largest furry art site on the web was VCL. It has long been closed down, but you can still access its thousands and thousands of images using internet archive's Wayback Machine and a lot is still saved there. You can find furry art lost to time that had been done in the late 90's!!! I will provide a link to their artist list through the wayback machine. So if u want a real furry time machine adventure u can check out whats on that site too! and if furaffinity seems overwhelming at first, the very subdued and silent VCL would be a reat safe place to just put your foot in the water and meditate over art.

web.archive.org: VCL Artist List

you can scroll though the different dates of page capture on the top row if yu like to see updates. the best dates to look are between the early 2000 to around 2005 or so. Let me know if u need any help with using the wayback machine if u dont know how to use it.

Gabriel Foxx

An absoultely trustworthy fox. Trust me.
Good luck! Stick to it! :3

Phew that Fur science PDF you sent me was super long felt like a college lecture .3.! I learned a lot and thank you for sending it on to me! You furries are the best .///.

That's cool I don't have to do some intitation process or anything :) ! Glad to join a nice fandom with people as nice as you people!
Lol, it kinda does, but it was worth it for me. It just gives you a feel for what to expect in the fandom, and what not to listen to when people slur. Which they do, though not on here. It's quite nice on FAF, and I hope you enjoy your time :)

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Hey, I've been a furry since I was 13 and still don't have a fursona; you don't *have* to.

Fallow is right, I've been a Furry since I was eleven and I never bothered designing a sona until I was like...twenty one? So trust me, you got time haha.
Oh - also my second piece of advice that might not have been said yet is that you don't ever have to feel pressured to keep a Sona design or not. The characters are meant to be a form of expression and fun, so whether you want a thousand characters or one, or just several renditions of a character or one stable coat of paint - it's your creative project, and you have every right to make it whatever you want with as much or as little detail as possible. At any time. So try not to overthink things and just jump into it - you'll have a lot more fun if you treat the character design that way.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Fallow is right, I've been a Furry since I was eleven and I never bothered designing a sona until I was like...twenty one? So trust me, you got time haha.
Oh - also my second piece of advice that might not have been said yet is that you don't ever have to feel pressured to keep a Sona design or not. The characters are meant to be a form of expression and fun, so whether you want a thousand characters or one, or just several renditions of a character or one stable coat of paint - it's your creative project, and you have every right to make it whatever you want with as much or as little detail as possible. At any time. So try not to overthink things and just jump into it - you'll have a lot more fun if you treat the character design that way.
Ha! So I am not the only one that designed sona after more than a decade.

But... No I am lying, I still remember that edgy abomination I have made when I was around 15. I am so glad I did not kept to it nor uploaded it anywhere

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Ha! So I am not the only one that designed sona after more than a decade.

But... No I am lying, I still remember that edgy abomination I have made when I was around 15. I am so glad I did not kept to it nor uploaded it anywhere

Well, if it makes you feel better I do have an edgy character from way back when. I can't really call her a "Fursona" as she was actually just a character for a wolf roleplay...but technically speaking, she was my first anthropomorphised character that I remember creating "originally" instead of basing off of something such as Balto or Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. I just can't call her a true Fursona since I didn't really create her with the purpose of the fandom in mind, she just happened to be anthro character. x3

Then there's the edge lord I bought because I fell in love with the concept of a Chimera.
But I'm getting off topic - point is, nothing wrong with a lil bit of edge every now and again. :p

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
But the last resource id like to leave is somethign that most peiople have totally forgotten but if u want to check out would be an interesting adventure.. :p
Before furaffinity, the largest furry art site on the web was VCL. It has long been closed down,

Well, not that long ago--the last uploads there were dated in mid-October 2019. I myself uploaded a few pics there the previous month just to see if they would take (they did). I'd like to think that something failed and the owner (sole person maintaining the site) isn't in a position to do anything about it, but the lack of any announcements or even activity on the FA/twitter accounts belonging to said person does raise an eyebrow--he's not the kind to walk away from something like this without saying anything.

---PCJ