• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

ARE YOU GUYS OPEN ABOUT BEIN A FURRY ?

MelaCeroses

Chevy the Impala
LOL as long as everyone is okay with it, I guess that's fine. LOL It just seems awkward is all. xD

It's only real awkward if one goes around the streets emanating a certain "vibe" of it I suppose.

My opinion is to keep it to myself and my friends. It's just like any other sort of fandom. Conventions and furmeets...yeah go nuts, live it up.

There's a reason people get misconceptions about furries, and again it's generally attached to how open people are about it. The same thing could apply to avid LOTR, WoW, or Trekkie fans. If you show up to work looking like Spock, people might avoid you...

Darlem

Bull ****?
I'm actually planning on starting to come out to my friends and family. One of my biggest concerns is my wife. She loves CSI and I'm not sure how she'd take it. I don't think she'd love me any less or whatever, but she said if she knew I played WOW at one point she would have left me. I do worry about some of my friends. A couple are anti-gay and anti-weird people. I think I want to come out to mom too cuz she told me as long as she didnt think I killed someone for no reason she'd love me.
Also, I don't really know what to talk about. I mean theres nothing really to it for me. I just enjoy readinf furry comics online and talking about it online and really wishing furrys were real. Occasionally some yiff material but i wont tell the wife that.
BTW, I'm not gay.
BTW, I'm not 7 either.

Kayote

-pokes Jalean- x3
It's only real awkward if one goes around the streets emanating a certain "vibe" of it I suppose.

My opinion is to keep it to myself and my friends. It's just like any other sort of fandom. Conventions and furmeets...yeah go nuts, live it up.

There's a reason people get misconceptions about furries, and again it's generally attached to how open people are about it. The same thing could apply to avid LOTR, WoW, or Trekkie fans. If you show up to work looking like Spock, people might avoid you...

True. xD conventions and furmeets = okay. Because you're among friends andwon'tberidiculedasjustoneperson. x3 But I would never wear a tail out of that, or ears. That's stupid.

LOL I want to dress up as Spock.

MelaCeroses

Chevy the Impala
I'm actually planning on starting to come out to my friends and family. One of my biggest concerns is my wife. She loves CSI and I'm not sure how she'd take it. I don't think she'd love me any less or whatever, but she said if she knew I played WOW at one point she would have left me. I do worry about some of my friends. A couple are anti-gay and anti-weird people. I think I want to come out to mom too cuz she told me as long as she didnt think I killed someone for no reason she'd love me.
Also, I don't really know what to talk about. I mean theres nothing really to it for me. I just enjoy readinf furry comics online and talking about it online and really wishing furrys were real. Occasionally some yiff material but i wont tell the wife that.
BTW, I'm not gay.
BTW, I'm not 7 either.

Interesting because I find myself in a similar situation. My closest friends are all on different standings and tolerances. Some wouldn't think anything of me talking about furries...others might never think of me in the same light and could potentially shun me. I don't know how each one could take it.

The interesting thing is that while there are people that bash furries, just from casual observation I can easily tell that there are non-furries or people that don't even know about it that have furry tendencies or thoughts. So in that regard, it's comforting.

Doubler

I still don't understand why being a fur is such a big deal.
I can understand about telling the wife, but is there a reason why friends must be told? As far as it's a choice you can either tell them and hope for the best or don't, and let it be.

And if it isn't presented like some world-shattering event people might actually have an easier time getting past whatever reservations they might have. The "I have to tell you something" method tends to feel like something has changed.

Last edited:

Darlem

Bull ****?
I still don't understand why being a fur is such a big deal.
I can understand about telling the wife, but is there a reason why friends must be told? As far as it's a choice you can either tell them and hope for the best or don't, and let it be.

And if it isn't presented like some world-shattering event people might actually have an easier time getting past whatever reservations they might have. The "I have to tell you something" method tends to feel like something has changed.

It's not really a big deal, I just fear that my friends attitudes will change towards me, or maybe even not be friends with me anymore. I'm not socially inept but I don't have a whole lot of friends and the ones I have are good friends. I know if they're good friends they should accept me for who I am and all that happy BS but thats the way a perfect world works and I can't believe a furry can have a perfect world.
If I was gay I would'nt have a problem telling everyone but furry is a bit more taboo.

Phoenix6780

Will cuddle if provoked
Slap that on every furry and you get the answer why most are not open.

Stereotyping :x

Doubler

The least a friend will do is listen; I can't imagine a friend who wouldn't. And misconceptions about furries can be rectified.
But my point was rather that I don't think telling them you're a furry is really mandatory for them to know you as you are. If you're worried that their attitude towards you might change, consider not telling. It might still come out eventually in a more natural way.

Basically, because "furries fuck animals".
Except... they don't. Not all, anyway. In my (admittedly limited) experience there's too much diversity within the fandom to draw any conclusions about a furry other then that he or she likes anthropomorphic animals in some way or another.
Again, a friend will listen.

Edit: maybe I'm naïve. I don't really have this problem as most of my friends are drawn from rather liberal circles. But I honestly have trouble to imagine a friend that would not listen beyond the word 'furry'.

Last edited:

Darlem

Bull ****?
I just told my first friend a minute ago. He was surprisingly non-chalant and not surprised. Almost disappointing I guess. I plan on telling the rest of my close friends tonight. But not the wife yet.

No.

If I were to acquaint my friends with the fandom in a nut-shell they'd research it on the internet to find shit to mock me with, not that just being a furry isn't enough wieldy parody material. Frankly all the disturbing junk they would no doubt see I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies.

I'm a considerate guy ya' know.

Last edited:

PriestRevan

Banned
Banned
Except... they don't. Not all, anyway. In my (admittedly limited) experience there's too much diversity within the fandom to draw any conclusions about a furry other then that he or she likes anthropomorphic animals in some way or another.
Again, a friend will listen.

Edit: maybe I'm naïve. I don't really have this problem as most of my friends are drawn from rather liberal circles. But I honestly have trouble to imagine a friend that would not listen beyond the word 'furry'.

Psh, it's the weird stuff in the furry fandom that stands out, so it's actually very easy to draw conclusions about it.

Doubler

You said 'it', not 'them'. It's not as easy to draw conclusions about an individual furry as it is to draw conclusions about the fandom.

Darlem

Bull ****?
You said 'it', not 'them'. It's not as easy to draw conclusions about an individual furry as it is to draw conclusions about the fandom.
Thats the reason any stereotype exists. The problem is stereotypes originate from some mass media conception of the group.

Doubler

And wrong conclusions can be corrected by the individual himself. It's much easier to hold a stereotype when nobody you know is affected by it. So we're back at the beginning: why is it such a big deal?
Heh, perhaps telling all of your friends and explaining it to them is the only right thing to do :p

I don't deny there's a negative public image. I just want to suggest that this might not be so important when it comes down to deciding who to tell.

Last edited:

jazzcat

just jammin'
No.

If I were to acquaint my friends with the fandom in a nut-shell they'd research it on the internet to find shit to mock me with, not that just being a furry isn't enough wieldy parody material. Frankly all the disturbing junk they would no doubt see I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies.

I'm a considerate guy ya' know.

This is really off topic, but your avatar is hilarious! That was the creepiest movie I had ever seen!