• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Are you sure you want to clear your messages? YES!

m2pt5

When was this Javascript confirmation implemented, and is there any way to disable it?

When I click "Select All" and then "Remove Messages", that's because I want to remove them, not because I want to be asked again if I want to remove them.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
m2pt5 said:
When was this Javascript confirmation implemented, and is there any way to disable it?

When I click "Select All" and then "Remove Messages", that's because I want to remove them, not because I want to be asked again if I want to remove them.

Actually I requested it and yak implemented it (see code discussion forum), because it is next to the "remove all" for journals and such. I prefer having it up because sometimes things get accidentally clicked, and I'd rather have something to cancel out.

m2pt5

If something like this is going to be implemented, it should be optional. There should be a way to turn it off if you don't need (or want) the extra protection/annoyance.

anfael

what 'remove all button'?

there's no destructive action on that page that can be done in one click. better would be to implement a trash system if people are worried about losing notifications. or an ability to toggle the view between all and unread only

although if we're keeping things simple, why not as simple as possible? if the button placement is identified as the problem, then the button placement is what should be fixed

robomilk

fruit bat at large
I vote making it optional. A simple cookie or something could do it easily!

anfael

m2pt5 said:
anfael said:
what 'remove all button'?

"Select all", "Remove messages".
those are two separate buttons, i was wondering if i was missing a 'remove all' button because my message center is currently empty

because i want one of those - personally i'd prefer to do select-all-clear with fewer clicks, like deviantart, not more :3333

optional for the win. but i wish they would implement a trash emptying system for notes. when i delete a note it shouldn't still be there. methinks they should work on improving that before improving this myself arshes. as that is even more annoying.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Well there is this:

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/34891/

I had asked for the recent addition because quite honestly the setup for "remove all" is too close to the journal's remove all. Perhaps if the template was changed in a way where it was away from the journal one...like At very top of the message center with a "Select all" and "Remove all" at the bottom it would work.

Right now the tables are too close together. I like the check all at Top on DA's message center and the "Remove all" (In their case it's update message center) that works.

I'm sorry if the javascript annoys people, but there should be a solution that works for everyone?

Wolfie

Well, I think this shows that just because one person might ask for something, that doesn't mean everybody wants it. It might be a convenience for the person who asked for it, but it's annoying to the rest of us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving people little helpful options and stuff, but I really think that things like this should be optional. If you can give someone something they asked for without forcing it on people who don't want it, then sure, why not? That's cool of you guys. But if you're going to change something for everyone, you should try and see if everyone even wants it. It really seems like this thing annoyed more people than it helped, and I don't think it makes sense to grant a request to one person on the forum when it forces something on the other 29,999 users on the site without asking if they even want it or not. ;D

It doesn't seem like anybody else was having that much trouble telling the buttons apart, and I really don't think it's a proper solution to ask people to download some plugin that even the person who offered it can't guarantee us it won't mess stuff up.

Really, this seems like one of those 'wasn't broke, please un-fix it' things.

anfael

Arshes Nei said:
Well there is this:

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/34891/

I had asked for the recent addition because quite honestly the setup for "remove all" is too close to the journal's remove all. Perhaps if the template was changed in a way where it was away from the journal one...like At very top of the message center with a "Select all" and "Remove all" at the bottom it would work.

Right now the tables are too close together. I like the check all at Top on DA's message center and the "Remove all" (In their case it's update message center) that works.

I'm sorry if the javascript annoys people, but there should be a solution that works for everyone?
there is, and i think you've suggested it in your post

my thing isn't tenable, logically or technically. me making something like this is more of a symptom than a solution. effectively my script is hastily undoing the hasty addition of a thing that isn't so hot in the first place.

besides which, it's useless for anyone using safari, opera, ie and people who don't want to install plugins just to squash a rogue dialog box

the problem you're having reflects a problem with the layout, and i'd wager it's not only the positioning of them, but the tiny size of them. the stupid things are rendered in a font size two steps below the broswer's default. fixing these would fix the lack of visual differentiation, and to improve it even further you could apply a colour or an icon, or even just bold face to the delete button. it's not a huge amount of effort for a web dev, maybe 2 or 3x that of jamming in a confirm() dialog (which is very little) and i think i clearer design will benefit not just people who've identified the problem, but people who never even thought it was a problem in the first place. it's possible to reduce accidental clicks through better design; we don't have to add another layer of tedium to both accidental and purposeful clicks alike

so, we could get most of the way just by touching up the design, and a trash system would take care of the remaining mistakes that slip by. something like that would be way less trivial than poking at the HTML, but web devs shouldn't just be considering the easy fixes. although it probably shouldn't be a priority

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Exactly, I asked for a confirm delete because it was one of the easier solutions, I know the other one takes a bit of a template arranging which isn't as hard. The thing is, I noticed most sites have a confirm deletion on it, though there is an option to turn it off - I believe yahoo has that option in user preferences or has a checkbox with it not to ask again, and stores a cookie for the option.

I wasn't sure how it was going to be implemented I was actually surprised it was done so fast as well.

The thing is, I tend to clear out journals first because well, you don't get an option to unwatch journals, so it's one of the biggest areas of the message center that fills up the fastest. There are people on my watchlist that make 2-5 journal posts in ONE DAY. I can't tell people how many journal posts they should make, and as watcher you're also caught in the dilemma of actually wanting to read a journal that isn't "spam" from a user. So even "optional journal watching" isn't perfect either lol.

I wish they'd take the "is watching" as well that was a forced option quite a few people didn't like either.

Wolfie

Right, if an option that isn't optional is tossed on, and more people complain than there were people asking for it, that seems like it should just be undone and a better solution worked out. That's what suggestion discussions should be for; not to just have people say yes or no, but for everyone to say what they do and don't like and come to a solution where EVERYBODY wins ^^

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Check the code discussion forum, the topic was already made if people paid attention.

Wolfie

Arshes Nei said:
Check the code discussion forum, the topic was already made if people paid attention.

Yeah, but I think it's been covered that hardly anybody on the site visits the forums because it gets kinda heated in here. And I don't think it's fair to say that people who don't come to that board don't get consideration. Maybe if the forums were made a bit more hospitable to people who don't want to just fight, then a higher number of users could be involved in these discussions.

Until that happens though, I really think that discussions about changes to the site should be made available ON the site itself somehow, so the majority gets to at least see what's going on.

And people can pay attention and still miss things, like accidentally clicking the wrong delete button. ^^

m2pt5

Hanazawa said:
OH SHIT

I HAVE TO CLICK ONE WHOLE EXTRA BUTTON TO CLEAR MY MESSAGES

THIS IS CLEARLY A TRAVESTY
THANKS FOR YOUR PRODUCTIVE CONTRIBUTION TO THE THREAD! :roll:

Seriously, most people find it more annoying than useful. If you have nothing constructive to say on either side of the issue, STFU.

Silverdragon00

Banned
Banned
RE:  Are you sure you want to clear your messages? YES!

Hanazawa said:
OH SHIT

It's not really because of the extra work, its just it gets annoying very quickly.

It would be like going to a retaurant and after you place your order they ask "are you sure that's what you want to order?" Not hard work to say yes, it just seems pointless and is annoying

Wolfie

Hanazawa said:
OH SHIT

Hey, so that's what everyone means by Straw Man. ^^

Come on though, can we please have a discussion without it being turned all angry and stuff by childish and unproductive sarcasm like that? "I don't like that you're complaining about this, so let me try and make you look dumb for doing so."

We're not being rude and typing out in all caps to try and make Arshes look ignorant for accidentally clicking the wrong select button and then the wrong delete button, so please don't take the discussion to that level. Honestly, it's getting old, isn't it? :3

Obviously, there's more people annoyed by it than not (or at least more people annoyed enough to speak up against it than were bothered enough to speak up for it), so please, please, PLEASE, don't take this down to that level, ok?

Wolfie

Silverdragon00 said:
It's not really because of the extra work, its just it gets annoying very quickly.

It would be like going to a retaurant and after you place your order they ask "are you sure that's what you want to order?" Not hard work to say yes, it just seems pointless and is annoying

m2pt5 said:
Hanazawa said:
OH SHIT

THANKS FOR YOUR PRODUCTIVE CONTRIBUTION TO THE THREAD! :roll:

Seriously, most people find it more annoying than useful. If you have nothing constructive to say on either side of the issue, STFU.

QFT on both. And see, some people might consider his STFU to not be acceptable either, but he only said it in response to someone else's rudeness. Two wrongs don't make a right, but you really can't be too hard on the second wrong if it ONLY happened as a result of the first :

So maybe if we all tried to cut back on starting that sort of tone, there'd be less to complain about people complaining about it. ^^

Wolfie

Silverdragon00 said:
took the words right out of my mouth, Wolfie! :p

Oh, how very rude of me! *politely returns the words, and then properly asks for permission ;3

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game
I love how everyone jumps on my statement and derails the thread by picking on it instead of ignoring it and continuing on with the relevant conversation :D