• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Are you sure you want to clear your messages? YES!

Wolfie

Hanazawa said:
I love how everyone jumps on my statement and derails the thread by picking on it instead of ignoring it and continuing on with the relevant conversation :D

Which is exactly why statements like that shouldn't be made. They contribute nothing and ONLY serve to distract from the topic and derail the thread.

Thank you! I was really surprised to see that remark from you Hanazawa since you usually seem to be above such childishness, but now I see you were just giving an example of how immediately that sort of behavior can turn a perfectly mature and productive thread into a silly fight.

That was actually rather clever of you, good job at helping us prove our point of why that kind of attitude has no place in mature discussion. ^^

Silverdragon00 said:
sure, take my words! lol!

let's put this train back on the track now, shall we?

Yes, let's!

On Topic: the extra window is trivial. But it's annoying. So let's get rid of it. As easy as it is to just deal with that extra window, it is also just as easy to pay attention when you click delete. The difference is, less people were complaining without the extra window than are now complaining with it. ^^

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game
It's all about seeing the bait, and not taking it.

That said, yeah, I guess the popup can be a little annoying, but really, it's one click. One click I'd rather have than accidentally wipe everything.

Wolfie

Hanazawa said:
It's all about seeing the bait, and not taking it.

That said, yeah, I guess the popup can be a little annoying, but really, it's one click. One click I'd rather have than accidentally wipe everything.

Yeah but see, people who bait like that (thank you for admitting it was baiting, that's very mature of you), are TRYING to get the reaction it gets. Then they complain when they get that reaction. That's why I think the best way to stop the bad reaction that nobody likes, is to stop people from intentionally baiting like that just so they can get someone else pissed, and then try and blame that person for derailing the thread.

Okay, so some people are more annoyed by the extra click, some people prefer it rather than losing everything. Discussion time: How can they not make us have to make an extra click that we don't need, but also give you a way to get back what you oopsed and deleted?

Hanazawa

I think the "Make it optional" stuff and/or "use this greasemonkey extension" stuff got covered pretty well on the first page.

then, of course, there's the "move the buttons" stuff too. :D

m2pt5

Hanazawa said:
And I'd rather not have to click that extra time. If you check your messages more often, you'd probably have less of a buildup.

Then again, I use Firefox. I open all the arts/journals I want to read in new tabs, then Select All/Remove Selected. It's very rare that I've mistakenly cleared a message I wanted to read, and the once or twice I have, I remembered the name it was from and was able to go find it.

Edit: Baiting is trolling too. Just because you're trying to make a point makes it no less trollish.

Hanazawa

I don't personally have that much of a buildup (I check several times a day), but I do multitask and often forget what I have or haven't read/done/clicked yet.

Wolfie

I think the greasemonkey extension thing shouldn't count as a solution, since that's even more bother than the extra click. People shouldn't have to install extra stuff that might mess things up just to get around a "feature" they never asked for. :

Since people don't seem to like having so many optional options, I would say just move the buttons. I mean, if giving people extra levels of community customization is making excessive option clutter, then I think having an option somewhere of "do you want that annoying clicky box, or can you be careful with what you delete?" should count as excessive clutter too. ^^

Hanazawa said:
I don't personally have that much of a buildup (I check several times a day), but I do multitask and often forget what I have or haven't read/done/clicked yet.

I also see a lot of neat ideas shot down for reasons of "we shouldn't make it easier for people to be lazy/careless/ignorant" and such, so I guess that would also apply here, wouldn't it?

Damaratus

Care to join me in my lab?
Wolfie said:
I also see a lot of neat ideas shot down for reasons of "we shouldn't make it easier for people to be lazy/careless/ignorant" and such, so I guess that would also apply here, wouldn't it?

Hold on there. I don't think we need to go saying that FA doesn't want things to be easier in terms of navigation and use of the site.

There is a certain amount of adjusting that one must do before you reach the grounds where the most people are happy with the situation. This is currently one of those situations, and it is obvious that more adjusting is needed. You never truly know how people will react to a change until you actually make the change.

Additionally, I'd like to remind everyone that there is a serious upgrade in the near future and it would be best to make sure that a positive solution comes out of these kind of conversations. The more that ideas are thrown around, in a civil environment, the better idea we have of what is really wanted.

If you think other users would like to join in on this kind of conversation, invite them over to the forums. The more people who join up, the more feedback we get on things.

m2pt5

Wolfie said:
I think the greasemonkey extension thing shouldn't count as a solution, since that's even more bother than the extra click. People shouldn't have to install extra stuff that might mess things up just to get around a "feature" they never asked for. :
It doesn't mess up anything in an irreversible way; if you don't like what a script does, uninstall it.

And incidentally, the GM script didn't work for me, just a few minutes ago; I still got the "Are you sure?" popup. YES I'M SURE, THAT'S WHY I CLICKED SELECT ALL THEN REMOVE MESSAGES!

Edit: Wait, GM was off for some reason. Never mind then. :oops:

Wolfie

Damaratus said:
Wolfie said:

Hold on there. I don't think we need to go saying that FA doesn't want things to be easier in terms of navigation and use of the site.

There is a certain amount of adjusting that one must do before you reach the grounds where the most people are happy with the situation. This is currently one of those situations, and it is obvious that more adjusting is needed. You never truly know how people will react to a change until you actually make the change.

Additionally, I'd like to remind everyone that there is a serious upgrade in the near future and it would be best to make sure that a positive solution comes out of these kind of conversations. The more that ideas are thrown around, in a civil environment, the better idea we have of what is really wanted.

If you think other users would like to join in on this kind of conversation, invite them over to the forums. The more people who join up, the more feedback we get on things.

Oh, no dude, I didn't mean the site shoots down suggestions for that reason. Off the top of my head, I really can't think of any time the staff has really just entirely shot down any idea.

I meant that there's been a lot of times where people in the forums here have used that kind of mindset to dismiss an option they don't like rather than go into why they wouldn't like it even if it wasn't something they had to use at all. ^^

As for inviting other people, you'd be surprised how many people just really won't even go near the forums unless you can convince them that people aren't going to just crap up any real discussion with "oh, look at me, I'm you and I'm dumb" type of baiting responses :

Maybe after that problem is dealt with, more people who really want to be a part of this community will feel free to use the forums in peace ^^

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
this thread has very little actual value.

but according to /initial/ post, i will remove that confirm untill i find enough time to sit and read thrue 21 screens of mostly useless comments and come up with a better solution.
Honestly, do you people still wonder why some of your ideas and suggestions never reach us?

[edit]
making something optional is not an option at the moment. but pretty soon it will be.
(i know... i'm tired of telling 'pretty soon' myself...[/size)

Suule

yak said:

but according to /initial/ post, i will remove that confirm untill i find enough time to sit and read thrue 21 screens of mostly useless comments and come up with a better solution.
Honestly, do you people still wonder why some of your ideas and suggestions never reach us?

That's why if I had a suggestion, I would PM it to you :p Forums aren't too worthwhile in terms of giving out suggestions.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
yak said:

[edit]
making something optional is not an option at the moment. but pretty soon it will be.
(i know... i'm tired of telling 'pretty soon' myself...[/size)

Poor yak XD

Question, I hadn't tested it, but you only put it for the "select all" then "remove all" correct? (The one at the very bottom).

I can understand if people were upset about each individual section I suppose but if it was just for the entire message center wiping out, it's just a matter of people's browing habits which vary.

A real straw man argument is the fact people are using everybody, there are quite a few vocal about it, but I can't say that's EVERYONE. I know quite a few that were happy about the confirmation because they were also tired of accidentally hitting the wrong button because of layout.

Then again, I gave other suggestions to help correct the issue too *shrugs*

m2pt5

Arshes Nei said:
Question, I hadn't tested it, but you only put it for the "select all" then "remove all" correct? (The one at the very bottom).

I can understand if people were upset about each individual section I suppose but if it was just for the entire message center wiping out, it's just a matter of people's browing habits which vary.
I rarely have anything in that portion of the message center outside of journals, but I always use the "all" button at the bottom. That's why it bugged me.

Also, I don't know if the layout is different with the "new" template, but I've never had a problem with hitting the wrong button, and I use the "old" template.

Edit: Also, please don't remove the "select all" button from the bottom like DA did.

nrr

hay guys what's going on itt? :coal:

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Well I noticed the "Master" "select all" is now being moved towards the center.

The button should also distinguish itself from other "select all" as being the one for the Entire message center. Even if it *should* be in the center, not all browsers display things the same way, even if they're using the same browser because you don't know everyone's setup and/or plugin they're using.

I and quite a few others did encounter this problem because of how many comments and such we'd get in a single day. Before the messages weren't displaying properly in the message center, so we were trying to figure out who said what, and who to reply to because there was no timestamp and particular order these messages would post in the message center.

The other problem is, that there isn't a true "clear all" for each individual section of messages. I believe that each section was just defaulted to clear only the amount that was visible as well.

The button perhaps changed to a different color as Anfael suggested it earlier. Or moved it to the top. Heck, change the name. And, change it on a mouseover. Right now they all look the same, you'd think the one for selecting every message in the center would look different.

Also, it's hard to unselect, like you can do in DA's message center. I'd notice I accidentally hit the select all and unselecting it can take work, sometimes "back" doesn't always work.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
m2pt5 said:
Edit: Also, please don't remove the "select all" button from the bottom like DA did.

Well it's not totally removed.

http://ladylaguna.deviantart.com/journal/10001780/

Visimar

lolz

I don't find this kind of thing really annoying. I've grown used to it. Using an unregistered WinRar/mIRC that pops up those messages about "Please register now" made me sort of immune to this type of thing. After all, the creators were STUPID enough to allow them to continue to be used even when their evaluation period ends. Besides, the "remove all" comfirmation message is there in case someone does something they didn't want to do by accident.

[OFFTOPIC] As for DA...they totally sporked up my gallery. Bastards. :( [/OFFTOPIIC]

anfael

Arshes Nei said:
The button perhaps changed to a different color as Anfael suggested it earlier. Or moved it to the top. Heck, change the name. And, change it on a mouseover. Right now they all look the same, you'd think the one for selecting every message in the center would look different.
how about seeing as they're currently in the center, why not reverse that and align one to the far left and the other to the far right? then you get the spatial separation and it doesn't break habits that people already have

boldface would help as well, on the "remove" button only, that'd take like 20 seconds editing the css and the html template

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
cesarin said:
Hanazawa said:
OH SHIT

I HAVE TO CLICK ONE WHOLE EXTRA BUTTON TO CLEAR MY MESSAGES

THIS IS CLEARLY A TRAVESTY

when you return from a triop and you get a insane 1200 messages in your message center, you will find that extra button extremely annoying :>
well, let's not and try to mown a lawn with scissors ^^ you have to have a lawn mower for that. 'tis a shame that thre aren't any yet, but that doesn't mean we need to give the scissors server motors and a remote controll.

subtle talks aside, "delete all" was meant to be a 'finesse tool' and not a 'nuke them all' feature.

i take this thread as arequest for a nuking button somewhere. you could have just asked, ok?