• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Are you worried you might, with time, grow out of your fursona/character?

dragonofdestiny

Thousand-faced dragoness

Now, obviously, everyone happens to grow out of some of their hobbies, though in this particular case I am not thinking of a light, fleeting interest; not to be an elitist, but I feel like this question should mainly be directed to those who feel some kind of closer bond with the character/s they have created.

From my previous post, and this one, one could come to a quick conclusion that I am utterly fascinated by the idea of creating and endlessly carving an extension of oneself (to put it creatively); and you could not be closer to the truth. When I find myself looking for a question to ask, it almost always comes down to the topic of fursonas, my most prevalent preoccupation.

If you, the reader, are keen to answer the question, I'd also like to inquire into just how close you feel you are to your character.

I'll go into a little more detail with my own example:
For me, my two characters act as my role models and guides, to some extent. I'm aware that their personalities are far from perfect, but their example gives me something to head for and helps me break out of my comfort zone and try something new. ...it's complicated and I am not so keen on discussing this topic myself, hypocritically enough.

As much as their company gives me no harm, and makes everyday life more interesting, I imagine time and other priorities will put paid to this endeavour, even as a fairly mature adult. I feel like it would truly be a shame to abandon something so inspiring for me, something with such deep roots within my past. An outlook like this kind of scares me, how I would become just another shallow human, though I feel like a different meaningful goal would take its place instead.

It’s confusing for me, which is exactly why I would like to hear from others, to see their insights.

And remember: no answer is wrong ^^

Kubudele

Cute but deadly derg life ~⭐
In a way, yes. Though it's primarily because of the social anxiety brought by how society in general sees the furry community, which I don't want to admit (I'm generally a very open-minded person that ignores pressure brought from stereotypes). In my experience, there aren't very many well-known business models or celebrities known to have fursonas, which indirectly makes me question if having a fursona as a "grown adult" is okay. Now if having a fursona was more mainstream around my community, I'd feel a lot more comfortable about the fact that I have a fursona.

Another struggle I find with having fursonas is due to changes with the real-world me, not just physical, but changes regarding personality, culture, orientations, etc. There have been points in life where I've re-created my fursona from scratch due to such discrepancies, but it's not as bad as an obstacle for me to stop creating sonas for.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
My persona is based on me and my life experiences, so I don't really have that problem, but I love my other OC's. I feel like I can understand where you're coming from.
Unless I'm misinterpreting something- if I'm completely off then by all means just ignore anything I've said, but I feel like this is one of the "if you love them, let them go" situations.

I didn't have a whole lot of role models to look up to as I got older, nor did I have many reliable friends, so I created them for myself.
A true role model would want you to let go if it meant blooming and succeeding/attaining the ultimate happiness that life has to offer you. At least, for me.
At the same time it is heart wrenching and it feels like betrayal for ever thinking you could move on from something like that. All of the time you've invested into development and 'conversation' becomes the equivalent of unfriending someone you've known for that majority of your life. All of that is erased. Gone. The idea of reforming the same connection with a new, complete stranger can seem hopeless/pointless. How could anyone compare?

I don't believe you should feel the need to drop it completely. If you need to switch priorities for the next while, or decide to attend a convention once a year instead of 5, I say it's just as good.
Instead of having sleepovers and get-togethers 5 days of the week, you could have one visit bi-weekly? Just revisit the passion again when the mood is right!

But if you truly think you will be happier without it (and hopefully not out of peer pressure) then I think you will be okay, should the time ever come. You would have done enough growing by then to know!

dragonofdestiny

Thousand-faced dragoness
My persona is based on me and my life experiences, so I don't really have that problem, but I love my other OC's. I feel like I can understand where you're coming from.
Unless I'm misinterpreting something- if I'm completely off then by all means just ignore anything I've said, but I feel like this is one of the "if you love them, let them go" situations.

I didn't have a whole lot of role models to look up to as I got older, nor did I have many reliable friends, so I created them for myself.
A true role model would want you to let go if it meant blooming and succeeding/attaining the ultimate happiness that life has to offer you. At least, for me.
At the same time it is heart wrenching and it feels like betrayal for ever thinking you could move on from something like that. All of the time you've invested into development and 'conversation' becomes the equivalent of unfriending someone you've known for that majority of your life. All of that is erased. Gone. The idea of reforming the same connection with a new, complete stranger can seem hopeless/pointless. How could anyone compare?

I don't believe you should feel the need to drop it completely. If you need to switch priorities for the next while, or decide to attend a convention once a year instead of 5, I say it's just as good.
Instead of having sleepovers and get-togethers 5 days of the week, you could have one visit bi-weekly? Just revisit the passion again when the mood is right!

But if you truly think you will be happier without it (and hopefully not out of peer pressure) then I think you will be okay, should the time ever come. You would have done enough growing by then to know!

Ignoring your comment would be a crime, it's great to see you not disappoint.

Your point of view is one I haven't even remotely thought about yet, and it makes a lot of sense why I'm so troubled.

I'm not afraid of burn-out related to this interest; very early on as I was still developing in the fandom, it's something I thought would eventually happen, though seeing just how important my characters are to me now I don't think I can simply grow tired of them anymore.

One very important thing I failed to mention is that the moment in which I stop making use of their company is when I grow enough to a point where my own abilities surpass theirs, which is actually what I am heading for.
Makes me want to stop improving my psyche, though that would be cowardly, wouldn't it? ^^

Thanks for making my head clear.

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
It's possible I suppose, but I've had Cutter Cat for about 12 years now. I doubt I'll ever outgrow him.

D

Deleted member 111470

1. Are you worried you might, with time, grow out of your fursona/character?
2. I'd also like to inquire into just how close you feel you are to your character?

1. No, I'm not worried. There are no indications pointing towards me and my character parting ways, or me replacing him with a different one. I've put a great deal of time and effort into him - more on that in the second answer, and I don't see any scenario in which I'll grow out of liking him. Maybe in time it will happen, as all things in life come to an end, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

2. My fursona isn't based on me, but rather, what I look for in a friend. However, as I mentioned in another thread - my fursona also represents something I cannot have. I live in a place where LGBT freedom does not exist. Everything about my 'sona helps me to, in a sense, cope with that. The way he looks, the way his life has progressed, his personality, the stories I have written for him... everything about him is important to me. When I commission art of him, I want everything to be perfect. Maybe I'm terrible to work with, maybe the artists appreciate how much I care for him - I don't know. It isn't the same with the other characters I have. I like all of them, sure, but I don't plan them so meticulously.

To me, Rimna is the friend I cannot have. He is my idea of freedom.

And because of all of this, I don't think I'll grow out of my fursona.

reptile logic

An imposter among aliens.
No. I had not even had the thought. I'll qualify the following by saying this first: I do not feel as if there are multiple personalities running around my brain; only one, well integrated person. That said, I sometimes find it useful to draw back from the day-to-day human that I am and look at a situation from a non-human point of view; from one that has the luxury of living outside purely human concerns. I find that comforting at times. It can help reduce the stresses of my immediate existence. I feel that, ultimately, this gives me a better outlook on this life I lead. I do not expect to lose this 'person'.

Jackpot Raccuki

Although half canine, is not a wolf.
I did, but at the same time I learnt to accept Jackpot now and that he is more who I am, personality wise, and just in general.
But I am still thankful for the experiences I had with my previous fursonas.

In otherwords, despite having a fursona who was meant to be someone who used masks to hide himself, I have long since removed my masks and more openly revealed who I am; not caring if people hate/dislike me for the change and at the same time standing up to myself against those who aren't my friends and life as a whole.

MrSpookyBoots

Batto with a Bad Leg ;'(
Never actually thought about it before. But he is a representation of myself. I've changed a lot over the years.

If that happens, then so be it.

Chomby

Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichanga
I'd also like to inquire into just how close you feel you are to your character.

I was worried a lot about growing out of/losing connection with my previous fursona until the day came that I just lost the attachment to him. I went from looking at him and having strong, positive feelings to just, "meh." I wasn't worried anymore because I made a new one prior to this that just ended up completely stealing the spotlight. I realized then that if I lose the connection to my fursona, it will simply be replaced by another one that better suits my interests. The thought of abandoning something so broad and limitless such as the concept of character creation and anthropomorphism seems unrealistic to what I would ever do. It is an interest I'll always be able to play with and expand upon.

As far as how close to I feel to Dusty, well, a lot. My previous fursona was just an extension of me, and as I was typing that Dusty is nothing like me, I just realized something. He is yet another extension of me. Even though I don't like to drink, smoke, or eat bugs like he does, or is into women like he is, I realized that how socially isolated and strange he is reminds me of myself, and I ended up creating a character that is like me, but cool and edgy, and is something I find attractive. Now he isn't antisocial or misanthropic. He chooses to isolate himself to save himself from conflict and being hurt. He is open to being loved and loving others.

Edit: I just wanna say that it's nice to see another person with as much of an interest in fursonas as I have.

Last edited:

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Not a chance...if anything I'm bonding more as I understand myself, since my "character" is basically me.

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
I fail to see what the problem would be. Perhaps I'm missing your issue, but I don't see the harm.* It's not really any different, in my mind, than growing away from a friend. People change, they grow and have different needs, and growing away from a fursona would just be a manifestation of that. Just because you don't identify with that fursona anymore doesn't make it any less a part of you or your history.

---
*Though, I suppose it would suck to spend $3k on a fursuit then decide you didn't like that character anymore, but that's not quite what you're getting at.

dragonofdestiny

Thousand-faced dragoness
I fail to see what the problem would be. Perhaps I'm missing your issue, but I don't see the harm.* It's not really any different, in my mind, than growing away from a friend. People change, they grow and have different needs, and growing away from a fursona would just be a manifestation of that. Just because you don't identify with that fursona anymore doesn't make it any less a part of you or your history.

---
*Though, I suppose it would suck to spend $3k on a fursuit then decide you didn't like that character anymore, but that's not quite what you're getting at.

Losing the enjoyment of someone's company isn't that pleasurable. I've experienced that with friends, everyone has.

Matt the Terrier

Swing the Mood! =3
"Are you worried you might, with time, grow out of your fursona/character?"

Fuck no! I've had my fursona since 2008. He has been around for so long, he's become part of my identity. It will be a very long time before I ever outgrow him. I wear the name alone like a badge of honor!

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
Losing the enjoyment of someone's company isn't that pleasurable. I've experienced that with friends, everyone has.

That's the thing - it happens, it's just a fact of life. If I lived in fear of growing away from friends, I'd never make friends. The reality is I don't fear growing away from my fursona, or the community, because that's just life. I can't change, so there's no point in fearing it.

I mean, what are you afraid of with growing away? Like why do you fear it?

JustAlex1997

Autumn the Squirrel
No. I haven't really done much with her other than designing her physical appearance, and even that was partially out of perceived obligation. I'm happy with how her design turned out, but her character is virtually nonexistent. Because of her design, though, I'd probably repurpose her for something else if I were to potentially get bored of the furry thing.

dragonofdestiny

Thousand-faced dragoness
That's the thing - it happens, it's just a fact of life. If I lived in fear of growing away from friends, I'd never make friends. The reality is I don't fear growing away from my fursona, or the community, because that's just life. I can't change, so there's no point in fearing it.

I mean, what are you afraid of with growing away? Like why do you fear it?

I am aware that growing away from someone is customary in life, I can deal with an immutable fact. Sorry, but, as much as I'm surprised to say it, I'm at a loss for words describing my own feelings. I can't really tell more besides what I've already told, as much as I'd like to.

Kony-chan

Certified Edgelord
If you ask me, definitely. I change, I get different interests and work in new ways. My first character might not vibe with my current self. You can, however, change that character. Make it represent the current you, both visually and personality-wise. Or, look for something new. Perhaps at first, you related to that of a fox, but after a while it might be something more like a bunny.

DariusTheLoony

Darius Nack
Well I'm hoping that I can grow a following with my character so that even if I grow out of this character others will remember his story and hopefully want to turn him into a movie or a cartoon series for adults one day. Hell maybe Asia would want to have Darius Nack on their television screens.

BlackDragonAJ89

Bumbling Everyman
If I were to count species, then I've gone through so many things that it really doesn't matter anymore what I am in terms of species. Lately I've been drawing myself as some sort of snake or eastern dragon, simple because I can't figure out what I really want to be species wise.

However, if I were to look at the character of my fursona, he's evolved very slowly over time. Most of the color scheme from when he was first made are still the same save for less wild-bright blue hair. He used to be more lean before going with the stout body shape. The hair was always long, but was put into the ponytail because it made for a nice silhouette. He was originally much more hot-headed before I toned him down to be more a level-headed individual. All those things happened over the span of nearly 10 years.

While I may outgrow/get tired of a species, the alter-ego itself seems to grow with me.

rxbbits

I did out grow mine! I made her when I was like 12 before i even really knew what the furry community was so i didn't really know what a fursona was and since she was my main character she just became the character i used to represent myself. I did give her more of my own traits as I grew older and had her represent me more and more, but as I've progressed beyond my teenage years I'm just such a vastly different person it's hard to fully have her be me. I've made new sonas in the past but always come back to her, but now I've created a completely new one and it was more of a conscious decision to not have my old one represent me anymore, and at this point it would feel kind of wrong to use her tbh.

But just because I outgrew my old sona doesn't mean I don't still use it or draw it, it's more that she has become a character to me, who shares some of my traits just like all characters do, I just wouldn't use her to represent me/ as a 'persona' anymore. So it isn't really the end of the world to outgrow a sona, I don't think, they can still represent who you were in the past and they can still be a character that means a lot to you?

Kinare

RAWR
Worried? Nah.

Do I think it's possible? Sure. It isn't unusual for me to change characters that represent me, so I could eventually change to something else.

Initially it was human character styled after a character I liked from an anime (I used to be quite the weeb back in the day). After that came another character, not styled after any existing characters in existence but more of a dark version of myself. I still go to that one from time to time. Then there were a few small ones here and there that didn't really stick for more than the brief time they were needed. Now I've got Toger and I think for the foreseeable future she'll stick around as my main representative character.