• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Art Critique?

ssaannttoo

Hello there everybody! I've been doing a bunch of digital art on my own, and for my family. I made this one for fun, and I was actually really happy with how it turned out. But I was also really interested in what the furry artist thought! Don't be afraid to be brutally honest on this one, I wanna be able to get better!

(This piece is from "Ori and the Blind Forrest" Franchise.)

Guifrog

Blue Frog
Dude, this is beautiful. Wish I was that good, really!

Love how you work the shadows, lights and colors to bring depth and texture. I'd probably attempt to refine the elements in the background a little, specially the ones in the left, although I tend to struggle with backgrounds myself as well

ssaannttoo

Dude, this is beautiful. Wish I was that good, really!

Love how you work the shadows, lights and colors to bring depth and texture. I'd probably attempt to refine the elements in the background a little, specially the ones in the left, although I tend to struggle with backgrounds myself as well
What kinda things do ya mean? Like more coloring and texture or just more items?

Arishipshape

Glaceon Ex-Knight
Holy crap that’s good

The only thing I could poke at (after meticulous examination) would be that the moon squiggly lines look like squiggly lines rather than moon. I would’ve put craters or more circular decorations there.

But seriously, this is the sh*t. Consider me envious (in a good way) and give yourself a pat on the back.

Guifrog

Blue Frog
What kinda things do ya mean? Like more coloring and texture or just more items?
At that moment I was thinking more about the shapes of the plant-like protusions, maybe playing more with different levels of thickness for branches and stuff; but making a few of them seem to be at different distances by using layers of color like you did for the mountains behind, or adding a few more, in smaller sizes, behind the existent ones, could be a way around it. Maybe it's a style thing, but I also wonder how the moon looks without the scribbles. A more skilled artist could give a more spot-on advice

What software(s) did you use to work your magic btw?

MissNook

As Guifrog, I think the character itself is greatly done with a lot of texture and a great work on volume and lights and shadows. The background though lacks a bit of refinement. I think mostly it's because it's lacking of details and thinner lines especially on the black parts of leaves/trees. I would also remove a few of the trees at the left, to make the character breathes a bit. The moon is a bit strange in my opinion, I don't know why it has waves on the surface, I guess you wanted to do some craters, don't hesitate to make them less visible and more round-shaped (check references, it can help ;) )

You've done well with colors! The foreground in yellow/brownish tones works well with the character with blue shadows since they are complementary colors. Moreover, the blue tones for the background mountains works well too. You could have use more the blue spirit's light (I don't remember how they're called in the game) shine to bring more colored lights on the character, but that's just if you want to go more for a realistic idea of light ^^

Hope it helps! Keep up the great art!

Last edited:

ssaannttoo

As Guifrog, I think the character itself is greatly done with a lot of texture and a great work on volume and lights and shadows. The background though lacks a bit of refinement. I think mostly it's because it's lacking of details and thinner lines especially on the black parts of leaves/trees. I would also remove a few of the trees at the left, to make the character breathes a bit. The moon is a bit strange in my opinion, I don't know why it has waves on the surface, I guess you wanted to do some craters, don't hesitate to make them less visible and more round-shaped (check references, it can help ;) )

You've done well with colors! The foreground in yellow/brownish tones works well with the character with blue shadows since they are complementary colors. Moreover, the blue tones for the background mountains works well too. You could have use more the blue spirit's light (I don't remember how they're called in the game) shine to bring more colored lights on the character, but that's just if you want to go more for a realistic idea of light ^^

Hope it helps! Keep up the great art!
That is a lot of great advice, things I didn't even think of. Thank you very much for helping me with it <3

DustyDawg

great work, I like how you handled the colored lights and the character itself is really cute and solid. What I think detracts most from the illustration is the background stealing the eye of the viewer from the face of the creature, which I suppose you'd want to be the focus.
I think that turning the image into grayscale can help a lot to see what works and what doesn't:
Illustration.jpg

I'd say the moon is a bit too bright and defined, diverting the focus of the image.
I think using a bit of ambient occlusion to blur the background and knock down the brightness and contrast of everything other than the foreground might be helpful.
the amount of detail is another factor in guiding the focus of the image and having such hard lines in and around the moon further draws the view there, I'd suggest to smooth it out a bit and let its edge get a bit lost in the sky, its light diffracted by the atmosphere.
I guess it would be clearer if I showed what I mean
For ssaannttoo critique 1.jpg

I also reduced the brightness of the left ear and its body to further suggest depth and strenghten the focus
I hope it's helpful and thank you for sharing such a pretty illustration :)

Last edited:

zenmaldita

always hungry
i think you're well on your way! it's an overall adorably magical illustration!

I agree with DustyDawg's advice. Make sure the character is in focus and the background doesn't overpower it.
Other than that, perhaps move the white pupils (are they pupils?) upwards a lil to look at the glowy thing.

and last but not the least, keep practicing!

ssaannttoo

great work, I like how you handled the colored lights and the character itself is really cute and solid. What I think detracts most from the illustration is the background stealing the eye of the viewer from the face of the creature, which I suppose you'd want to be the focus.
I think that turning the image into grayscale can help a lot to see what works and what doesn't:
View attachment 98773
I'd say the moon is a bit too bright and defined, diverting the focus of the image.
I think using a bit of ambient occlusion to blur the background and knock down the brightness and contrast of everything other than the foreground might be helpful.
the amount of detail is another factor in guiding the focus of the image and having such hard lines in and around the moon further draws the view there, I'd suggest to smooth it out a bit and let its edge get a bit lost in the sky, its light diffracted by the atmosphere.
I guess it would be clearer if I showed what I mean
View attachment 98774
I also reduced the brightness of the left ear and its body to further suggest depth and strenghten the focus
I hope it's helpful and thank you for sharing such a pretty illustration :)
I actually really like that. Thanks for the advice!

ssaannttoo

i think you're well on your way! it's an overall adorably magical illustration!

I agree with DustyDawg's advice. Make sure the character is in focus and the background doesn't overpower it.
Other than that, perhaps move the white pupils (are they pupils?) upwards a lil to look at the glowy thing.

and last but not the least, keep practicing!
So the big white circles are his pupils. and the smaller white ones surrounding it are supposed to like show excitement (I don't really know, eyes aren't a strong spot.) But the yellow glowing is supposed to be a money orb thing that is in the game. The glowing blue thing is actually a part of Ori. But I'll make sure to make it easier for the viewer to understand that he is looking at something.

MissNook

You've done well with clearing the left part and adding small details. I think the moon looks more fitting in last one. I would personally have done something in-between, having some craters but barely visible and keeping the dots above ^^ The eyes look more rounded and reflecting now.

A lot of improvement in my opinion! Really well done <3

Guifrog

Blue Frog
Sorry for sorta spamming the thread, but when I get on an art roll I just keep going. So I made a secondary moon, one I think fits better with the theme.

The background looks a lot better with the refinement! Also I second the crater+dots mix idea, and the shadow you put on it comes to me as a clever solution for the brightness issue brought up above, I find!

ssaannttoo

The background looks a lot better with the refinement! Also I second the crater+dots mix idea, and the shadow you put on it comes to me as a clever solution for the brightness issue brought up above, I find!
I just need to figure out how to make realistic looking craters. I have no idea how to go about that ;~;

TO YOUTUBE!