• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: Art looks off to me

squiddler

5031F6DD-C4C7-4013-AC44-B098C22C198C.jpeg
1866D3BF-72E2-46FE-9C5B-31E4B9D88610.jpeg
Hi, I’m trying to improve and have been drawing a lot lately but I just feel like some of my drawings look weird or off and I’m unsure why.
Any tips would be great !

also the third image of a cat that I uploaded as a thumbnail is slightly nsfw? It’s a pun based off of paintings of Venus, it’s Venus de meowlo

Attachments

• B06D1161-5D03-4C26-9F61-7A6E4C1BB098.jpeg
    B06D1161-5D03-4C26-9F61-7A6E4C1BB098.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

RafflesHolmes

Hi sorry I was having trouble uploading it, I have now hopefully attached it correctly. I’m on my phone and my phone hates me.

It's fine, no need to say sorry.

But anyway, well you know how to draw I'll give you that.

You're a pretty damn good artist so far from what I'm seeing. Good line work. Quiet a bit of detail, all around very nice, nice.

But if I had to say something and this is a hard thing to describe keep this very much in mind. But it gives off the sense of being dirty. Not the dirty as in "Oh you're so very dirty~" But as in "You're fucking dirty, take a bath right now mister before I wash you off with a Garden hose!"

I think it may be caused by the feathers in some shape or form making it look off or perhaps it's cause of legs. Maybe you need to add in a bit more body and less legs in order to pull it off is my guess.

But that's just my view on the whole thing. I think you did an amazing job honestly with this work of art and I want to see more art from you in the future.

squiddler

It's fine, no need to say sorry.

But anyway, well you know how to draw I'll give you that.

You're a pretty damn good artist so far from what I'm seeing. Good line work. Quiet a bit of detail, all around very nice, nice.

But if I had to say something and this is a hard thing to describe keep this very much in mind. But it gives off the sense of being dirty. Not the dirty as in "Oh you're so very dirty~" But as in "You're fucking dirty, take a bath right now mister before I wash you off with a Garden hose!"

I think it may be caused by the feathers in some shape or form making it look off or perhaps it's cause of legs. Maybe you need to add in a bit more body and less legs in order to pull it off is my guess.

But that's just my view on the whole thing. I think you did an amazing job honestly with this work of art and I want to see more art from you in the future.
Thank you!
I think what might be making it look dirty is the pencil that I left under the ink and the feathers. When I start drawing I do a ton of like quick lines and then erase a lot which darkens the paper, and when I drew in the feathers I kind of scribbled them which I think is then reading less like feathers and more like messy scratches and dirt as you said.
Thank you for the help though! I will try and make cleaner lines in the future and also try and not Over erase on the paper!

MissNook

Your drawings are cute and nice!
I agree with the previous user though for the "dirty" look. I think it's due to the pencil showing and also to the steadiness of your line (looking at the upper part of the wing of the second character, it's visible that there are several line and it's more scribbled.). It's not that visible in the first drawing so I guess you just took less time for your second drawing or change technique.

I also tried a little redline on your drawings to show you two things I've noticed, hoping that will help.
On the first one, I can see that the volume of the face is a little off (but it's really little). The eye on the left is a little too big and I show you some lines of construction to help you see how you can fix this really easily for the next time. The ear also should be less visible since it's hidden by her face.
On the second one, you can see that the character is off balance and that taking the whole body above the knee and doing a rotation gives a balanced pose.

I want to add that I like how you have natural pose that don't look stiff. It's something I struggle with and it's really cool to see on your art!

I hope it helps!

squiddler

Your drawings are cute and nice!
I agree with the previous user though for the "dirty" look. I think it's due to the pencil showing and also to the steadiness of your line (looking at the upper part of the wing of the second character, it's visible that there are several line and it's more scribbled.). It's not that visible in the first drawing so I guess you just took less time for your second drawing or change technique.

I also tried a little redline on your drawings to show you two things I've noticed, hoping that will help.
On the first one, I can see that the volume of the face is a little off (but it's really little). The eye on the left is a little too big and I show you some lines of construction to help you see how you can fix this really easily for the next time. The ear also should be less visible since it's hidden by her face.
On the second one, you can see that the character is off balance and that taking the whole body above the knee and doing a rotation gives a balanced pose.

I want to add that I like how you have natural pose that don't look stiff. It's something I struggle with and it's really cool to see on your art!

I hope it helps!
Hi! Thank you for the tips! I definitely drew the second one faster and penned it in less carefully, which is why it looks scratchy. And thank you for the detailed explanations and edits, those are really useful! In terms of getting my art to look less stiff, I’ve actually been working on that a lot lately so it’s nice that it’s noticeable! I recommend improving that area by doing some life sketches and by studying the poses of other artists

MissNook

Hi! Thank you for the tips! I definitely drew the second one faster and penned it in less carefully, which is why it looks scratchy. And thank you for the detailed explanations and edits, those are really useful! In terms of getting my art to look less stiff, I’ve actually been working on that a lot lately so it’s nice that it’s noticeable! I recommend improving that area by doing some life sketches and by studying the poses of other artists
Thanks for the advice <3

Klox

Rollling Tumbling along
Hi !!
I dont know if youre still looking for answer, but i think you are struggling with the same thing as me : lines of action !

Your drawing skills are super good and your art gives off a good vibe ! but like MissNook said id said its the stability of the posture that renders the whole thing "off". It looks like you want to draw several poses at the same time for 1 chara. Fortunately its an easy thing to work on i think, you should check "line of action" on the net. I learned about it yesterday actually !

The "line of action" is an imaginary line that traces the movement of your character's body in a simplified and generally intense way. Planning your drawings based on this line is an excellent technique to achieve the desired goal. That way you can enhance the dramatic effect. Keep this in mind the next time you draw your characters in action.
cartoonmovements-02

I know the example you gave us are not in action, but i still think the whole posture could profit from a coherent line of action :)