• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

art: what makes a furry a furry?

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
i've noticed a lot of argument about what is furry and what is "neko" or whatever they call catboys and so on. for example, a human with ears, whiskers, paws and a tail can still be called a human.

i've even noticed a human with the same as before, add in fur to the mix, still a human. so what, by a standard, makes it into a full furry?

i think it's the muzzle/nose. what do you guys think?

Alaskan Wolf

Photoshop? I use MS Paint!
animal with human qualities: (can be) Furry

Human with animal qualities: is not a Furry.

The trick is knowing how to distinguish the two.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
I want to go with "content made for the fandom", but then I'm from the camp that Thrush's from The Hobbit aren't Furries and of the very radical camp that Gnolls and Werewolves and the like aren't furry.

Tally

Don't forget that even if people draw animals with human characteristics they don't intend it to be furry art, and they might not even know about furries.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Don't forget that even if people draw animals with human characteristics they don't intend it to be furry art, and they might not even know about furries.

The problem with this is that people use it as an excuse to go "OMG TEH ANUBIS! TOTAL FURREE!!"

Zseliq

I think its like if the character is more then 50% animal then they could be furry. Less then 50% and it seems they are 'neko'.

J

Jelly

If its overwhelmingly more animal than human it's a furry, if the opposite is true it's a hybrid/kemonomimi. If its solely ears, its solely a kemonomimi.

A furry character has an animal head, with human-esque eyes.
It also includes (typically) having some kind of symbolic fur-like structure/color mapping on the body, hands that share some paw anatomy, and feet that also share some paw anatomy. Sometimes, they'll be digitigrade.
that's pretty much it in my opinion

This stuff is what generally confuses people:
ff11-mithra6.jpg

but that's a neko, from the basis that the general head anatomy is human
all they really did was screw with the nostrils/the bridge/recolor the tip of the nose
and gave it dem ears (but also stylized the anatomy a little - but its like a videogame and shit and like yeah)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gnome

I am GoatMystic
I think its like if the character is more then 50% animal then they could be furry. Less then 50% and it seems they are 'neko'.
what? No, no...

"Neko" is just Japanese for kitty! .......but now it was become a confusing internet tern with no real definition in my opinion besides "kitty", thus you cant have a "Neko wolf"

"furry"
is subjective

if its "kemonomimi" is usually just ears and tail, maybe whiskers, silly japps

"Antro / Anthropomorphic"
is any human attributes given to a non human object ...even a toaster.

"terms of descriptions on the internets" = all subjective to these who have insufficient vernacular of vocabulary

Last edited:

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
animal with human qualities: (can be) Furry

Human with animal qualities: is not a Furry.

The trick is knowing how to distinguish the two.

Hmm.

The figures I draw have five fingers and toes (usually,) are bipedal, have human body form (save for the muzzle) but are completely covered in fur and have tails/ears.

What are they?

I would put it as "could they be de-anthropomorphized easily?" A cat-girl (tail/ears, no fur) would look like a pug-nosed and bald monstrosity if put back into animal form, whereas a "furry" would look like a normal (or maybe slightly rainbowy) animal.

Last edited:
J

Jelly

if its "kemonomimi" is usually just ears and tail, maybe whiskers, silly japps

Not really.
If you go to kemonomimi boards in ENzgRISH, the general consensus (regardless of the original meaning) is that Mithras are nekomimis. Which can feature :3 faces, cat noses, huge fucking cat eyes, cat ears, etc. and are typically furred from head to toe (with foot-paw crosses)
-however, the body layout, anatomy, and head anatomy are all pretty much as human as it gets

its a fact
because i spent about 800 years researching bizarro fetishes and am a piece of shit myself

also neko is a truncation of nekomimi

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jelly

i do not discredit you professor of Biaarofetishmus, for as i said, i feel most terms are misused and bastardized once they hit the net'
so im sure i have picked up some misnomers myself

we have to define words somehow, if we're ever going to start using them
might as well go by whats popular
because we know oxford isn't going to set us right

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
If it walks like a human and talks like a human but looks like an animal, I say it's fully furry

If it walks like a human, talks like a human, and looks like a human, with the exception of ears and a tail, and possibly paws, I say it's half furry

If it just has ears or a tail, it might be just a fourth or something

So in short, nekos are only half furry at best

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
If it has animal parts, some furry will fap to it. And that furry will stubbornly insist that it's furry.

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
It's a continuum; my thoughts on the subject:

A furry is an anthropomorphic being combining human and animal characteristics – but which characteristics, and to what degree? The answer is, it depends. The Morph-o-Meter® measures furriness on a zero-to-100 scale, zero being real world animal and 100 total human being. For example Watership Down’s rabbits resemble real-world animals but speak to each other and have distinct personalities (5 points), while Beatrix Potter’s wear clothes and run businesses, but raid Mr. McGregor’s garden. (20 points) Human-sized Bugs Bunny interacts with people on a near-equal basis but runs around naked (except for his gloves) and is regularly hunted like… an animal (65 points). The pinnacle: Playboy Magazine’s fashionably dressed, Playmate-collecting mascot – for all practical purposes, a rabbit-headed human (95 points)…

(From Furry Nation, my forthcoming history of furry and why people have been anthropomorphizing animals since the year zero-zero.)

I like to call those people 'furry but don't know it yet.' When they finally stumble across the scene, they'll have the usual 'I'm not the only one!' reaction...

Last edited:
D

Don

well..the only way to be a furry is to have an insatiable obsession with shitting dick-nipples.

*Btw, it's NSFW*

/Troll.

If your monitor was a window, I'd totally break through it and throttle you for posting that image again :V.

A furry is an anthropomorphic being combining human and animal characteristics – but which characteristics, and to what degree? The answer is, it depends. The Morph-o-Meter® measures furriness on a zero-to-100 scale, zero being real world animal and 100 total human being. For example Watership Down’s rabbits resemble real-world animals but speak to each other and have distinct personalities (5 points), while Beatrix Potter’s wear clothes and run businesses, but raid Mr. McGregor’s garden. (20 points) Human-sized Bugs Bunny interacts with people on a near-equal basis but runs around naked (except for his gloves) and is regularly hunted like… an animal (65 points). The pinnacle: Playboy Magazine’s fashionably dressed, Playmate-collecting mascot – for all practical purposes, a rabbit-headed human (95 points)…

Yeah that about sums it up.