• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Artists, have you ever been scammed by a client?

Artists, have you ever been scammed by a client?

• Total voters

Vinfang

Indie Game Artist / Telegram: vinfang
I had someone do some thing similar a while back too! I still offer a preliminary sketch before I send invoices but I wonder if that's something that's even worth my time? Like I just want all the details before-hand so when I ink there's no major changes after but I'd hate to have it happen again

I have similar experience, client wants to get some not-yet-drawn concept art for his OCs, we chat a bit (about art style/ his vision/ prices, etc), i then sent a sketch, and asked for money. his reply is something like "oh well, I want to take some more time and look at other artist 's stuff too. it's still too soon to make my pick."

not too mad, but he wasted my time for sure.

F.lee_art

Flee the bat
I have similar experience, client wants to get some not-yet-drawn concept art for his OCs, we chat a bit (about art style/ his vision/ prices, etc), i then sent a sketch, and asked for money. his reply is something like "oh well, I want to take some more time and look at other artist 's stuff too. it's still too soon to make my pick."

Oof yeah, that'd make me mad for the sole reason that a person doesn't need a sketch to get a feel for art style, that's why we have examples and stuff.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Oh wow that's really neat and useful! :O
>u</

Feel free to lift my form and my Terms of Service here-
I put a link to my ToS on all of my invoices. Mostly to cover myself in case something goes down.

While my first preference to get paid is actually Google Pay, I only have that on my ToS so that Paypal can't come after me for NSFW stuff.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes

Oh yea~. No, I don't do any sketches until my client has (1) a trello card and, (2) has given me a payment.

Garshasp

I usually have them fill out a form with everything/fill out the form for them.

Then I have them review the form and agree to it before they pay. I even host it on my trello where they have their own card--
I'll make a card for them before they pay. I'll even include references. But I don't even start a sketch until its paid.

WOW, that is really useful and I've never considered that before. What a well-organized idea! Thanks for sharing!

Nerire

Playing with Magic
Not really... Really, scammed, but this one time I was working with a client that had quite a complicated fursona and wanted a whole bunch of extra stuff added to their reference sheet. It'd have all costed more, ofc, and it was one of my first potentially bigger commissions, so I worked really hard on the sketch, as I always make sure that the client is first satisfied with the sketch before payment, then I finish the thing.

Basically, it was a lot of back and forth with small stuff being readjusted at first, then they had me redesign their fursona completely- think; a dinosaur into a chimera centaur eagle- and after I thought I made a real good job and sent them the (what I though would be) a final sketch, they completely ghosted me.;c
I could see that they were still active here on the forums and messaged them more than a dozen of times but they never replied;cc.

I must admit that it made me quite upset. I think they just took my sketch and used that as a future reference for them, since I feel like I haven't thought to watermark it properly back then, not anticipating someone to do something like this:c

Vinfang

Indie Game Artist / Telegram: vinfang
Not really... Really, scammed, but this one time I was working with a client that had quite a complicated fursona and wanted a whole bunch of extra stuff added to their reference sheet. It'd have all costed more, ofc, and it was one of my first potentially bigger commissions, so I worked really hard on the sketch, as I always make sure that the client is first satisfied with the sketch before payment, then I finish the thing.

Basically, it was a lot of back and forth with small stuff being readjusted at first, then they had me redesign their fursona completely- think; a dinosaur into a chimera centaur eagle- and after I thought I made a real good job and sent them the (what I though would be) a final sketch, they completely ghosted me.;c
I could see that they were still active here on the forums and messaged them more than a dozen of times but they never replied;cc.

I must admit that it made me quite upset. I think they just took my sketch and used that as a future reference for them, since I feel like I haven't thought to watermark it properly back then, not anticipating someone to do something like this:c

How is this any different? I only consider something a gift, if I willingly draw up art for free. Otherwise, I offer a service to most. If the client agrees to pay up and didn't, I call that a scam. If whoever is using your art without permission, they are definitely stealing from you.

Van the cheesen one

What is this? What is that??
"Luckily" I've only ever been ghosted in ArtTrades. Still disappointing though, if you put a lot of effort into your art and don't even get an excuse in return.

DariusTheLoony

Darius Nack
I definitely have been scammed by a client before as she or he ended up trying to use PayPal to take away my money even after I did the work that was asked of me and was willing to even edit. I even did a 10 K job .

Punkedsolar

Never say never
I have, so I have staged systems for payment - a sketch is one stage, pay for the next. These days all my clients are commercial, so they're less likely to stiff you because they have legal departments who will smack them if they do.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
That's horrible... Wish it won't happen again.

This is the reason, and since I don't ever trust anyone when they're on a contract or money stuffs with me, I always get paid first and start working then. (Unless there's other component) This is why I'm not active in trades and commission categories. (Cuz you draw first)

The only exception is my closer friends, I finish the job first and then ask for the payment. And maybe some free arts for service? :3

When even my friends shall scam me with this, I end the relationships. I'm losing the money, but they are losing the future opportunity to get my arts. Just let them go find another cheap artist like me somewhere in the world, heh.

Last edited:

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
I definitely have been scammed by a client before as she or he ended up trying to use PayPal to take away my money even after I did the work that was asked of me and was willing to even edit. I even did a 10 K job .
Did they get away with it?