• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

As a furry, what is your opinion on Human Pups and Otherkin?

AmberLupus

I'm not going to talk about it as NSFW as I don't want to violate any terms, just your opinion of them as a whole.
I find this to be an interesting topic, as fursonas are sort of a link to animals, but expressed through different ways - what would you define those borders as? or is there an overlap?
Do you have any experiences with meeting them that are good or bad?

Sam Akuchin Wamm

ever seen the anime Wolf Children?

AmberLupus

'Human pups' might require more rigorous definition.
The people who dress up in leather and plastic or very realistic dog costumes, usually as a kink but otherwise just to live like a dog. I can find some image examples if you'd like

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
The people who dress up in leather and plastic or very realistic dog costumes, usually as a kink but otherwise just to live like a dog. I can find some image examples if you'd like

Okay I know exactly who you mean. From what I've seen many rubber-pups are also furries.
I think this is more similar to the furry fandom (if it isn't simply a part of the furry fandom), than otherkin is, because being otherkin entails a variety of spiritual beliefs and people who view themselves as otherkin rarely believe that their souls are anthropomorphic animals- more often elves or dragons.

I don’t like them. One time a human pup tore up my shoes and my neighbors human pup keeps digging holes in my yard

Remember to pick up your human pup's poop.

Wulf the Jackal

Just a cutie
I don't even want to think that's similiar to Furry Fandom... They are on "four paws"... They are not anthropomorphic creatures.
And in this case... It's not that funny much, like... Humans mock Furries, but actually not.
I don't have a big petition of my opinion, so... Have a good talk about this... damned topic.

M

Massan Otter

Much like with furries, there's a lot of selection bias going on, where the most visible examples and the ones who agree to appear in documentaries or talk to the press probably aren't very representative of most pups. I know a few pups, both online and in person, and most don't view it as a way they want to live full-time or as an otherkin identity.
And while there are some differences in how the two subcultures have developed, many pups are also furries or have been furries at some point. Also like furries, you'll find a lot of nice people who are having fun with it and have a sense of humour about it, but also the usual interpersonal dramas and the odd person with no sense of boundaries.

N

Nyro46

I have never heard of human pups before until this thread. Now, I somehow got to watching a documentary about them on Youtube . . .

Weirdly I just find it more fascinating than anything.

Jackpot Raccuki

Although half canine, is not a wolf.
In some cases, those who do it do claim to be furries/part of the fandom which is good for them, I guess.

Really, I don't really mind, since in most cases it's just a kink and people are free to do what they want... They have their weird kinks and I have my much weirder ones.
I wouldn't say they're furries, since really if you wanna be a furry, you say you are really. *shrug*

Connor J. Coyote

I'm not going to talk about it as NSFW as I don't want to violate any terms, just your opinion of them as a whole.
I find this to be an interesting topic, as fursonas are sort of a link to animals, but expressed through different ways - what would you define those borders as? or is there an overlap?
Do you have any experiences with meeting them that are good or bad?
If you're asking if they're a part of the Fandom - I'd probably say yes and no... (depending on who you ask). Some people with this interest consider themselves Furry, whilst many others do not - and (in turn) are more closely related to the leather (BDSM) community.... which is a completely different community - from the Furry Fandom, altogether.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
I've had a discussion with a friend whos into pup play. He knows I'm a furry, and he considers this two different things. He's not one and doesn't want to be one.

AmberLupus

If you're asking if they're a part of the Fandom - I'd probably say yes and no... (depending on who you ask). Some people with this interest consider themselves Furry, whilst many others do not - and (in turn) are more closely related to the leather (BDSM) community.... which is a completely different community - from the Furry Fandom, altogether.
Yeah, there's a weird balance/line there, but really it seems like it depends on their intentions as a part of that community.

Brooks Dotson

Lost in Transition
Me personally? I find human pups to be very creepy and disturbing, As for otherkin, they're kinda interesting, as long they keep it away from me i'm not gonna have a problem with them :rolleyes:

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
I'm a pup, and honestly I don't understand a lot of the hate pups get from furries. They're two different concepts sure and one has its roots in bdsm and humiliation play, but at this point the pet play community is pretty much its own community and about as vast as the furry community. There's the sexual aspects of course, but a lot of people who get into it find just acting like a puppy and not having to think about human responsibilities very comforting and therapeutic. I still wouldn't advocate for minors participating in it but that's a different story.

It's just kinda sad how vehemently angry and disgusted furries seem to act whenever they see a pup because most pups just want to wear their masks to cons and aren't really bothering people by just being there

As for otherkin I'm cool with them. Like the spiritual kind, not the ones who think they're Naruto or Ted Bundy

M

Massan Otter

It's just kinda sad how vehemently angry and disgusted furries seem to act whenever they see a pup because most pups just want to wear their masks to cons and aren't really bothering people by just being there

I'd agree - I'm not a pup myself, but as a rubber fur I talk to a lot of pups online, and if I want to suit up at an event it'll invariably be with pups around, as no fur con over here will have me! So my own little subset of the furry fandom doesn't feel far removed from the pup scene, though other people's experiences will be different.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
I'd agree - I'm not a pup myself, but as a rubber fur I talk to a lot of pups online, and if I want to suit up at an event it'll invariably be with pups around, as no fur con over here will have me! So my own little subset of the furry fandom doesn't feel far removed from the pup scene, though other people's experiences will be different.
Yeah. A lot of US cons at least have started hosting meetups for pups and other kinks since they're so popular and such in the fandom, which is cool. And I think it's still important that people still at least act appropriate if they're going to wear a hood or rubber suit at a con, but pups just sitting around having fun with each other or minding their business shouldn't be anything to get mad about lol