• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Attempted to draw my fursona...

Have you ever tried your hand either at drawing a fursona or your own, and it just...-insert poop emoji-

I went from drawing cats okay to "lord have mercy on this cat lady's soul"

So ya, what's your experience, and how did you manage to try again? I kinda lost my steam on it, so I would like to see what others have to say XD

fralea

I dont understand the question. You were trying to design a fursona but you didnt connect to it? You were having a bad drawing day? You tried drawing a new subject and it turned out not up to standards?

I dont understand the question. You were trying to design a fursona but you didnt connect to it? You were having a bad drawing day? You tried drawing a new subject and it turned out not up to standards?

"what's your experience, and how did you manage to try again?" This is the question I'm trying to get the answer to. I'm asking what it was like to try and bring a sona to life only to not like how it turned out, and then how someone managed to try their hand at it again.

Also, I would say the last two questions related to my situation XD

MissNook

Well usually (not for sona, but other drawings) I tend to not block myself on the result and go to something else entirely. Like I'll do a whole new pose or try more unrefined style or just play with colors. Something that would make me stop thinking about it and then I would begin again on a new page (or a new file) and I would draw more freely something like a scribbling phase to just put ideas and designs which are flowing without thinking or caring too much. After some scribbles I usually find myself with new ideas and less hostility for my past drawing :)

Hope that helps ^^

Well usually (not for sona, but other drawings) I tend to not block myself on the result and go to something else entirely. Like I'll do a whole new pose or try more unrefined style or just play with colors. Something that would make me stop thinking about it and then I would begin again on a new page (or a new file) and I would draw more freely something like a scribbling phase to just put some things and not care too much. After some scribbles I usually find myself with new ideas and less hostility for my past drawing :)

Hope that helps ^^

Aaah thank you! That sounds like a pretty good plan! Scribbling itself is pretty relaxing XD

Yvvki

Sassy lesser panda.
Oh gosh. I have done this before. I had this curse where I could always draw other peoples characters and they looked super nice, but as soon as I drew my own it was like the life was sucked out of them.

I think what I did to help get rid of that curse was to change clothing, experiment with color until I was happy with it. Here is a character I changed a lot haha.

New version is the bottom one. x3

b_day_art_for_my_sister___d_by_raineswordmaster-da2hx1c.png

1515401004.yvvki_samifox.png

Oh gosh. I have done this before. I had this curse where I could always draw other peoples characters and they looked super nice, but as soon as I drew my own it was like the life was sucked out of them.

I think what I did to help get rid of that curse was to change clothing, experiment with color until I was happy with it. Here is a character I changed a lot haha.

New version is the bottom one. x3

Awww how cute! Ya I definitely have that problem as well. I draw someone else's character, and they look great, but as soon as I try my own, I'm ready to throw it into the pits of Hell XD

fralea

Move on to a new project, either scrap it and start over or wait a few weeks without looking at it and then come back to it.

Maybe do some studies of things that were troubling me and then come back o the big project too.

Yvvki

Sassy lesser panda.
Awww how cute! Ya I definitely have that problem as well. I draw someone else's character, and they look great, but as soon as I try my own, I'm ready to throw it into the pits of Hell XD
Sounds about right. xD
Just keep trying I guess
Maybe take a break from drawing that character and draw something else for a while. Haha

Redwulf16

I've spent three years practicing, trying to draw what I deem to be an acceptable pic of Ugin, my profile pic was the result.

MadKiyo

I've been de-batted, oh no!
Consistency is pretty important to me, so I have a source reference of my 'sona that I update once in a while. Details are pretty easy once you get all the correct shapes in, though mine irritates me sometimes because the figure is complex to draw. If I feel I'm having trouble, I take note of my state-of-mind and make sure I'm not too tired or upset if I'm drawing. If I absolutely want to draw something, I'll take it slower and focus more.

KitKatChunKiss

2D/3D Artist
Well, I can't really allow myself to make -poop emoji- arts since a lot of what I make nowadays are commissions haha ^^; It has to look good.
As for my own fursona, I do tend to make a lot of mistakes on her. I always forgot some kind of markings somewhere.
It's really a matter of practice and keeping references nearby. The more you draw something, the more consistent it becomes; and eventually you develop a style.