• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Autism in The Fandom

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
Yesterday I vented something regarding to autism, and today I had a thought pop up in my head and I now wonder approximately how many members in the fandom are autistic?

I certainly know that there are quite a number of them, but the question is how much? And what is the ratio between those with or without autism? One thing that I hope is that most people aren't autistic in this community, and this coming from someone who suffers from it as well.

What do you think?

Wabbajax

Jaxon-Jackal/Arixes-Særkyn
I think in general the furry community tends to draw individuals that feel they are misfits and don't belong anywhere in particular. That's not to say there is anything wrong with them, just that I have noticed a lot of furries tend to feel like outcasts for various reasons.

On that note, I am sure that being furry does not appeal to every single autistic individual, so it's not something that is easy to say or even guess. I'm sure there are also autistic individuals here that choose not to identify themselves for various reasons.

I think overall you'd have better luck if you created some sort of poll with different options such as (Neurotypical v. Neurodivergent) or something similar.

Last edited:

Parabellum3

I think in general the furry community tends to draw individuals that feel they are misfits and don't belong anywhere in particular. That's not to say there is anything wrong with them, just that I have noticed a lot of furries tend to feel like outcasts for various reasons.

On that note, I am sure that being furry does not appeal to every single individual with autism, so it's not something that is easy to say or even guess. I'm sure there are also individuals here that are autistic that choose not to identify themselves for various reasons.

I think overall you'd have better luck if you created some sort of poll with different options such as (Neurotypical v. Neurodivergent) or something similar.
That is true. The main thing I'm worried about though is that since this fandom is already under enough scrutiny as it is, it will paint a worse picture on us since we are stereo typically compared to furries plus assume that most autistics are them. So I'm hoping that won't be the case.

FluffyShutterbug

Bleat??? Bleat!!!
Yesterday I vented something regarding to autism, and today I had a thought pop up in my head and I now wonder approximately how many members in the fandom are autistic?

I certainly know that there are quite a number of them, but the question is how much? And what is the ratio between those with or without autism? One thing that I hope is that most people aren't autistic in this community, and this coming from someone who suffers from it as well.

What do you think?
I'm autistic myself, but I don't know the ratio. But, quite a few of my friends are fellow Aspies.

Parabellum3

I'm autistic myself, but I don't know the ratio. But, quite a few of my friends are fellow Aspies.
I see. That's a good way to find out actually. To everyone that I have spoken with, how many of their friends who are in the fandom are autistic?

FluffyShutterbug

Bleat??? Bleat!!!
I see. That's a good way to find out actually. To everyone that I have spoken with, how many of their friends who are in the fandom are autistic?
Of the top of my head, I only remember one. An artist by the name of Zennikens. But, my boyfriend, BeatleNumber9 (Yes, that's his username. :p), told me that he thinks there's a strong chance that he's an Aspie. I'm sure that there were others, but I don't remember for sure.

Wabbajax

Jaxon-Jackal/Arixes-Særkyn
I'm ADHD and suspect I might be on the autism spectrum. But if I am it is slight enough that it's hard to diagnose/prove and I haven't felt it important enough to go to great lengths to figure it out yet.

Certain clues such as having clothes I dislike because of the texture of the fabric, frequently misunderstanding verbal directions by taking them too literally, empathizing with inanimate objects, feeling easily overwhelmed in noisy busy environments, emotionally locking up during arguments and a general aversion to confrontation, and goofy wordplay where I switch words around just for the fun of it. Oh, and not always being savvy about where specific social boundaries are regarding sensitive topics.

FluffyShutterbug

Bleat??? Bleat!!!
I'm ADHD and suspect I might be on the autism spectrum. But if I am it is slight enough that it's hard to diagnose/prove and I haven't felt it important enough to go to great lengths to figure it out yet.

Certain clues such as having clothes I dislike because of the texture of the fabric, frequently misunderstanding verbal directions by taking them too literally, empathizing with inanimate objects, feeling easily overwhelmed in noisy busy environments, emotionally locking up during arguments and a general aversion to confrontation, and goofy wordplay where I switch words around just for the fun of it. Oh, and not always being savvy about where specific social boundaries are regarding sensitive topics.
Being an Aspie myself, I can say, it's almost certain that you have Aspergers' too.

Glossolalia

just happy to be here
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a higher percentage of autistic people in the furry fandom than the general population. I'd be more curious to see a comparison between the percentages in the furry fandom and a variety of different fandoms/hobbies/internet communities. The people I know who are on the spectrum are very active in their hobbies/special interests, and the furry fandom is so multifaceted that it's probably a popular one to get lost in.

Tazmo

Trash connoisseur

How about also getting totally absorbed into special interests....... *sighs*

Sushimitsu

"Dosukoi"

It sounds rough what people have to deal with sometimes, but coming from your post, I can relate to you in so many ways it's crazy.

The fabric ordeal, feeling overwhelmed in busy environments, locking off and trying to avert away from confrontation, the pressure can be so infuriating.

If you feel like you can cope with the issues then maybe you can let it slide but if you ever feel too overwhelmee you can always look for help and i encourage it! Same to everyone else In the thread! All the best for the future!

Z

ZeroVoidTime

I recently got diagnosed with it
I was actually not diagnose on being on the Autism spectrum until I was a teenager. It had to do with my immense sense and understanding of empathy when I was growing up so doctors were perplex by it.

I

Infrarednexus

I found this inspiring and motivating,

20 Famous People With Autism | Betterhelp

Some famous people who are diagnosed or suspected to be on the Autistic spectrum...

Daryl Hannah (Kill Bill vol.1)
Dan Harmon (Creator of Rick and Morty)
Dan Aykroyd (Man behind the Ghostbusters franchise)
Courtney Love
Tim Burton (Nightmare before Christmas)
Susan Boyle
Stanley Kubrick (The Shining movie)
Jerry Seinfeld
Thomas Jefferson
Abraham Lincoln (The man who ended slavery in America. That's pretty awesome)
Mozart (Famous classical musician)
Andy Warhol
Emily Dickinson
Charles Darwin (Theory of Evolution)
Albert Einstein
Charles Richter (Helped us better study earthquakes)
Michelangelo (The artist, not the mutant turtle)
James Durbin
Bill Gates

Last edited by a moderator:

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Autistic basically my whole life (they used to call what I have Asperger syndrome, but that's been lumped into the autism spectrum for 6-7 years now).

I can tell you with complete confidence that it's both a blessing and a curse, and won't let anyone say it's just one or the other. Sure, it gives me a lot in regards to detail (and apparently creativity, even if to me it feels like I'm just jumbling old things into new patterns)...

Yet due to how many times I've been easily misunderstood in the past... I've wound up more than a little paranoid and that's actually hindering my ability to interact with many communities at the most basic level. Including the furry fandom.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I know a few people with autism I've come to know doing business in the fandom and I get along with most of them. They can act a little differently sometimes, but I genuinely enjoy talking with them when I get the chance to. From what I've seen of the fandom, most people tend treat them like anyone else.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
Being an Aspie myself, I can say, it's almost certain that you have Aspergers' too.

I would be very careful at diagnosing autism/asperger from an armchair without any sort of psychological evalutation. I would also be careful about self-diagnosing oneself according to something one has read somewhere. Most of the time it's totally off.

I have been armchair-diagnosed with aspergers before - upon closer examination, it wasn't the case.
And I could self-diagnose almost anyhting from OCD to Borderline disorder when looking at my life from a certain point of view.

I have met a few people with autism on the forums, never had a problem with them, why should I? They're normal people, they just work a bit differently. I find the maipulative and drama-prone teenager type much more of an issue.

FluffyShutterbug

Bleat??? Bleat!!!
I would be very careful at diagnosing autism/asperger from an armchair without any sort of psychological evalutation. I would also be careful about self-diagnosing oneself according to something one has read somewhere. Most of the time it's totally off.

I have been armchair-diagnosed with aspergers before - upon closer examination, it wasn't the case.
And I could self-diagnose almost anyhting from OCD to Borderline disorder when looking at my life from a certain point of view.

I have met a few people with autism on the forums, never had a problem with them, why should I? They're normal people, they just work a bit differently. I find the maipulative and drama-prone teenager type much more of an issue.
Oh...
He just sounded so similar to me....