• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Autism in The Fandom

Ziv

PokéManiac
.....am... am I suddenly going to have to be really worried about the ID bracelet idea that I'd mentioned earlier in the thread? I mean, I was under the assumption that warning people that I have something where they might need to get clear (I have heard some REAL horror stories of how meltdowns can go, as some of my other recent posts can attest, and I STILL haven't got a full idea how bad mine can get as I've learned a little about withdrawing if I get overloaded) might very well be something important - am I going to have to worry about shunning?

And actually, you know what? Time to take a chance.

Speaking of discrimination, one of the ones where I can REALLY get into trouble in modern society unless I learn to get this right now: is it really weird of me that I literally have trouble making heads or tails of derogatory terms (or slang in general) unless I make a complete workaround with a dual-meaning - or more horrifyingly, wordplay? Or is this actually something that's relatively common to autistic people? Or, heck, is that actually a neurotypical thing that I'm overestimating?

I kind of figure it might be important to know how much I need to worry about preparing ahead of time and KEEPING THAT @$#% SILENT... especially given one of the other major components of this fandom.

(I kid you not, there's one that actually kept me up at night and obsessed for DAYS. I will not be repeating it here but I can DM someone on it if it's really necessary.)

I actually do wear buttons displayed prominently that I'm bipolar and autistic, so I guess my answer is no? But maybe I just don't care what people think of me. I think it's a good idea, honestly, if you're in a situation similar to mine, where things can get out of hand. But to give context, I've been hospitalized inpatient 18 times and I have definitely been verbally aggressive to strangers (especially those who work in pharmacies, it seems...) as well as threaten to strangers that I'm going to kill myself.

I think it's common to autistic people actually! And it can be the source of some A+ humor.

EDIT: My buttons also function as medical alert bracelets, just like for diabetes etc, as you were saying. Since I'm on 7 different meds, all of which are heavy-duty (Thorazine, Zyprexa, Valium, lithium, lamotrigine, Adderall... am I forgetting one?) and absolutely need to be known in an emergency medical situation. For example, I could get NMS which is a life-threatening condition caused by Thorazine and Zyprexa, but it's similar to several other syndromes and you likely would not be able to confirm it without seeing my bipolar button. Also, if I were to have a seizure that turned status epilepticus, they would need to give me a much higher dose than usual on the benzos because I'm on them long-term and I have a tolerance. And many, many other such situations.

Chomby

I'll poke your butt.
I'm actually starting to wonder if the fandom made me autistic, or gave me brain damage. I don't remember being this messed up before joining it.
You know how how insulting your comment is to actual autistic people, right?

Chomby

I'll poke your butt.
Going to be honest here, it is actually extremely rude to insinuate someone isn't autistic because they made a joke about it in relation to the fandom, given the lifelong social and personal struggles that surround it. I might actually be a little pissed off right now.
Sorry but saying something like the fandom made you autistic was a really ignorant thing to say and in no way made me think you were genuine. Also you basically implied that autistic people are "messed up." I'm a little angry too. I'm angry at this entire thread due to all the ableist comments. I'm angry about the OP saying he wants a "cure" for autism. You're angry? Join the club, bud.

Ziv

PokéManiac
Sorry but saying something like the fandom made you autistic was a really ignorant thing to say and in no way made me think you were genuine. Also you basically implied that autistic people are "messed up." I'm a little angry too. I'm angry at this entire thread due to all the ableist comments. I'm angry about the OP saying he wants a "cure" for autism. You're angry? Join the club, bud.

I don't know if this makes you feel better but I'm a little reassured that I am not the only one here who finds a lot of this discourse more than a little problematic...

Ziv

PokéManiac
I think it makes more sense to withhold that info in your phone or something so that not everybody has to know about your problems.

Ah, yes. So when the paramedics come to treat my NMS, they will have absolutely no idea what is wrong with me, because they don't know how to unlock my phone (or that they should even be trying to do so, which is illegal) and I am literally dying. Great idea. Couldn't possibly go wrong. Doesn't miss the point of medical IDs at all... not even a little! /s

You keep saying how you're so low functioning, you have so many more deficits and little to no strengths, etc. If that's the case, why are you posting? What evidence have you offered that YOU are intelligent and worth listening to... at all? Yes, this is a low shot because I, too, think that every human being has worth and is worth listening to. But honestly? What qualities do you possess that gives you the right to say what you've said in this thread? Are you stupid, or aren't you? You can't be both.

EDIT: I just want to be clear that I'm attempting to invert OP's own logic and statements he himself has made. I do not endorse this worldview.

Last edited:

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
Ah, yes. So when the paramedics come to treat my NMS, they will have absolutely no idea what is wrong with me, because they don't know how to unlock my phone (or that they should even be trying to do so, which is illegal) and I am literally dying. Great idea. Couldn't possibly go wrong. Doesn't miss the point of medical IDs at all... not even a little! /s

You keep saying how you're so low functioning, you have so many more deficits and little to no strengths, etc. If that's the case, why are you posting? What evidence have you offered that YOU are intelligent and worth listening to... at all? Yes, this is a low shot because I, too, think that every human being has worth and is worth listening to. But honestly? What qualities do you possess that gives you the right to say what you've said in this thread? Are you stupid, or aren't you? You can't be both.

EDIT: I just want to be clear that I'm attempting to invert OP's own logic and statements he himself has made. I do not endorse this worldview.
I was only referring to psychiatric information. That kind of info is useless for EMS or other personal as in let's say a car accident because your physical treatment is a priority. You can tell them later about your mental problems. Oh and by the way...you're on MY THREAD, son.
I'm angry about the OP saying he wants a "cure" for autism.
So you're basically against me trying to improve my life?

Ziv

PokéManiac
I was only referring to psychiatric information. That kind of info is useless for EMS or other personal as in let's say a car accident because your physical treatment is a priority. You can tell them later about your mental problems. Oh and by the way...you're on MY THREAD, son.

So you're basically against me trying to improve my life?

I'm referring to psychiatric information too. It's clearly not useless if it could literally save my life.

MCtheBeardie

Queen of Laziness
I just realized I posted here a long time ago, lol. But, I feel like I have something to add to this current conversation.

I mean, it’s not really fair to judge someone based on the idea that they’re looking for a cure. Who knows what their current situation is? It could be entirely valid to want something based on the experiences they have, so to say that it’s bad for someone to want that is assuming much more than I’d like.

On the other hand, though, there is merit to thinking about Autism as an important aspect of who you are as a person. If there were a cure for Autism, then who’s to say getting rid of it will not only change your life, but fundamental aspects of yourself, as well? We still don’t know for sure, and it could be a long time before we figure it out.

All I know is that I’m happy in my own skin, and that’s all that matters. There’s no need to attack each other over how someone views their condition.

Ziv

PokéManiac
I'm not exactly sure in what cases that may be needed, but ok.

That's because, as I have said, you do not have good mentalizing abilities.
1. My own personal case, being prescribed 7 heavy-duty meds. Plenty of interactions could kill me. Seeing my bipolar button informs the EMTs that I might be taking certain classes of drugs that do not play well with other drugs. Death avoided.
2. Also my personal case, NMS, which is caused by the meds I take for bipolar disorder and has pretty much no other cause.
3. You have schizophrenia and you're psychotic. Or you have low-functioning autism and you're existing. People in these situations are shot and killed by cops every single day.

Let me ask you something. Are you white?

Parabellum3

I don’t feel comfortable to answer that question because I have a feeling on where this is going.

Also you’ll be breaking the rules at that point.

Last edited:

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner

I don’t feel comfortable to answer that question because I have a feeling on where this is going.
Ziv.... THIS time, I have to concur with Parabellum. You went too far. Please think a little more about our spectrum here.

You mentioned race and mentalizing abilities WAY TOO CLOSE to each other, to someone who has already been catastrophizing extensively. (I believe the scholarly literature calls it "rumination" or "anger rumination" or possibly "perseveration" - "catastrophizing" comes up more in the casual searches.) As someone who also catastrophizes a lot.... if his is anything like mine, I can tell you that you've just MASSIVELY fed the underlying anxiety.

The fact that the pairing isn't automatically an accusation of the person you're engaging, or was never even intended to BE such, is far less relevant than you think. Catastrophizing works THAT fast off of THAT little information.

Ziv

PokéManiac
Ziv.... THIS time, I have to concur with Parabellum. You went too far. Please think a little more about our spectrum here.

You mentioned race and mentalizing abilities WAY TOO CLOSE to each other, to someone who has already been catastrophizing extensively. (I believe the scholarly literature calls it "rumination" or "anger rumination" or possibly "perseveration" - "catastrophizing" comes up more in the casual searches.) As someone who also catastrophizes a lot.... if his is anything like mine, I can tell you that you've just MASSIVELY fed the underlying anxiety.

The fact that the pairing isn't automatically an accusation of the person you're engaging, or was never even intended to BE such, is far less relevant than you think. Catastrophizing works THAT fast off of THAT little information.

I'm honestly a little confused. I'm making a rhetorical point that white people are inherently less concerned about getting killed by cops. Do you... disagree? Like, honestly I am confused.

EDIT: Also, that last point you made really should be made at Parabellum, imo. And where's the sympathy for me? I've spoken at length about my own disabilities in this thread and I've literally been called worthless to humanity... If I had any less restraint honestly I'd tell Parabellum right where he can stick his opinions.

Last edited:

Ziv

PokéManiac

Also you’ll be breaking the rules at that point.

I'm not really sure about what you're referring to, so if you can enlighten me...
I don't see how where I was going would break any rules of this forum that I have ever been exposed to.

EDIT: Alright, I guess I could see where pointing out that black people get killed by police is "political" but if that's how the mods feel, ban me then.

Last edited:

Parabellum3

I'm not really sure about what you're referring to, so if you can enlighten me...
I don't see how where I was going would break any rules of this forum that I have ever been exposed to.
I would’ve assume that you would start getting into politics such as comparing what I say to racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. I will not have any of that, especially during these times.

Ziv

PokéManiac
I would’ve assume that you would start getting into politics such as comparing what I say to racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. I will not have any of that, especially during these times.

I'm saying that you aren't concerned about getting killed by cops (or, more accurately, you have said/implied this) and I'm telling you why your "solution" does not work for everyone. Nothing less and nothing more.

Ziv

PokéManiac

See, this is the problem with you, Parabellum. You assume so much and empathize with others so little.
But as I said before, if pointing out that black people with disabilities are being murdered by police is "political discussion" then I welcome the banhammer because I don't need that kind of community. I'm not here to talk politics, parties, who's done what, that kind of bullshit -- it's of no interest to me, anyway. But I see these things as different. The police murder rate is evidence-based, it's not an opinion.

Parabellum3

See, this is the problem with you, Parabellum. You assume so much and empathize with others so little.
But as I said before, if pointing out that black people with disabilities are being murdered by police is "political discussion" then I welcome the banhammer because I don't need that kind of community. I'm not here to talk politics, parties, who's done what, that kind of bullshit -- it's of no interest to me, anyway. But I see these things as different. The police murder rate is evidence-based, it's not an opinion.
Well I'm relieved that you weren't going down that path. Then why did you ask me if I'm white? Does it have to do with the fact that white people have higher chance of being diagnosed with autism? If so then yeah that is true.

Last edited:

Lucyfur

United forever in friendship and labour
Well I'm relieved that you weren't going down that path. Then why did you ask me if I'm white? Does it have to do with the fact that white have higher rates of autism? If so then yeah that is true.
*diagnosed autism.

Ziv

PokéManiac
Well I'm relieved that you weren't going down that path. Then why did you ask me if I'm white? Does it have to do with the fact that white people have higher chance of being diagnosed with autism? If so then yeah that is true.

That is true, but it's probably not for the reasons you think? But I don't want to assume because that would make me a hypocrite. No, the reason I asked is I simply didn't want to preach at you about the dangers you face if you were black yourself... lol. That's really why.

Parabellum3

That is true, but it's probably not for the reasons you think? But I don't want to assume because that would make me a hypocrite. No, the reason I asked is I simply didn't want to preach at you about the dangers you face if you were black yourself... lol. That's really why.
I see. Well that makes kinda sense ngl.

Ziv

PokéManiac
Better to just avoid cops all together if you can.

Now that I do agree with.
Unfortunately, it can't always be avoided... this is actually especially true if you have a psychiatric disorder :( I've been cuffed tight behind my back when I had committed no crime except attempting suicide.

Parabellum3

Now that I do agree with.
Unfortunately, it can't always be avoided... this is actually especially true if you have a psychiatric disorder :( I've been cuffed tight behind my back when I had committed no crime except attempting suicide.
They did the same to me when I tried to buy my first gun, but the dealers got suspicious of me and called the FBI too look through all my socials to see if I said anything "bad". Which unfortunately I did but it was one sentence, out of sarcasm, and it was a couple years prior. But of course the paranoid keyboard warriors wouldn't have any of it. Now I have to wait 4 more years for the restriction to expire or move out of state.