• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Autism in The Fandom

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Reviving this because it's that month again - and that day again, in fact. (Would have just opened a new thread or maybe not even worried about it if this was six months old, but it's only been about two.)

I want to welcome any autistic furs that weren't here the last time this thread was active and give a chance for the ones that were here to say what they need to.

Okay, formalities aside, I actually asked about the blue thing (AS encourages people to wear blue, a lot of autism advocates detest that program) and apparently the better color to wear is red. I forget the details other than that blue apparently comes up depressing. Then again, red comes up as too much of a warning to some of us. Frankly, I'm one of the ones that considers "wearing specific colors at specific times as a form of solidarity" to be a shallow and maybe even slightly offensive false front, but I'm only one person on the spectrum, so - what do I know?

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
It's World Autism Awareness Day, so I just wanted to acknowledge that for the applicable parties.

Yakamaru

Level 32 Knight
Reviving this because it's that month again - and that day again, in fact. (Would have just opened a new thread or maybe not even worried about it if this was six months old, but it's only been about two.)

I want to welcome any autistic furs that weren't here the last time this thread was active and give a chance for the ones that were here to say what they need to.

Okay, formalities aside, I actually asked about the blue thing (AS encourages people to wear blue, a lot of autism advocates detest that program) and apparently the better color to wear is red. I forget the details other than that blue apparently comes up depressing. Then again, red comes up as too much of a warning to some of us. Frankly, I'm one of the ones that considers "wearing specific colors at specific times as a form of solidarity" to be a shallow and maybe even slightly offensive false front, but I'm only one person on the spectrum, so - what do I know?
AS? Autism Speaks?

Firuthi Dragovic

AS? Autism Speaks?
The very same, the one where some bad experiences have already been shared in this thread.

I included the fact that autism advocates don't like it AND my take on the whole "wear this at this time" thing being shallow and offensive as a counterbalance.

That said, outright trashing someone just because they're wearing a certain color at a certain time for awareness campaigns is itself a bit of cult-like scummy behavior. I cannot and should not tell people how to act in this regard, I can only provide what I make of it.

Chomby

Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichanga
Is it rare for some aspies to not experience sensory overload and to understand sarcasm and stuff like that? I know it's a spectrum.

Also yay it's World Autism Awareness day. People will still find me annoying and make ableist comments to me regardless.

Chomby

Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichanga
I can't tell you how many times I've been invalidated after mentioning I have ASD because they automatically assume I'm using it as an excuse.

Sorry. This thread isn't about me. I'm just in a bad headspace. Peace.

ben909

vaporeon with Axolotl gill array as neck fin
Is it rare for some aspies to not experience sensory overload and to understand sarcasm and stuff like that? I know it's a spectrum.

Also yay it's World Autism Awareness day. People will still find me annoying and make ableist comments to me regardless.
Its not that rare i think, although i don’t know for sure, i personally don’t think old terms shpuld of been combined as many forms are very different, although they might of done it to stop people from using it to try and predict traits

Firuthi Dragovic

I can't tell you how many times I've been invalidated after mentioning I have ASD because they automatically assume I'm using it as an excuse.
I admit I wind up having to add a lot more to the statements whenever I mention my own diagnosis because of people who act like that.

Like, when it actually needs to come up, I'm like "look, I'm autistic, it messes with X(, Y, and Z) in this situation, let's work around that". So far, so good.

I expect it won't work one day, and that's how I'll spot a potentially toxic person.

D

Deleted member 134556

There are generally good intentions behind making a day that acknowledges people like us on the spectrum, and I understand a lot of people care. I personally appreciate all the help offered, but like others may have mentioned, it's important for everyone to distinguish compassion and assistance towards people those with autism, from people engaging in ableism and exploitation towards us for personal gains.

I don't want people to look down on me or pity me for having autism. I myself just want to be understood, and accepted by people like pretty much any other people with specific attributes. I want to be included in the conversation where I work, and be able to joke around and have fun without people thinking I'm going to freak out and snap. I don't want people to be scared of me, or think I'm not capable of having a basic interaction.

Every person with autism is different. We all face our own challenges, have our own characteristics, and different skills we've developed. The best way to understand us, is to ask us ourselves what having autism is like, and let us be the primary voice regarding the spectrum.

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
World autism day? Hadn't heard of it. Oh right because we are the only ones who talk about it since nobody else gives a shit lol.

sleepy kitty

yeeter yeeter, pumpkin eater
Honestly, I think I could have Autism. My old therapist told me she wanted to get me screened for it, but I had to leave that practice because I missed a second appointment. I missed it because I developed salmonella after the 24 hour notice period, so it was too late for me to cancel the appointment.

My current therapist tell me no because apparently "I don't look Autistic", which is the oldest excuse in the book.

ben909

Honestly, I think I could have Autism. My old therapist told me she wanted to get me screened for it, but I had to leave that practice because I missed a second appointment. I missed it because I developed salmonella after the 24 hour notice period, so it was too late for me to cancel the appointment.

My current therapist tell me no because apparently "I don't look Autistic", which is the oldest excuse in the book.
There is a “look”???

Firuthi Dragovic

Sadly, there are still too many people who are going to claim autism has a "look". Probably because all they know are the severe stories. I've been hit with that sentence a few times, probably fewer than a lot of other autistic people, but the most painful time by far was when I was trying to get government help some years back (I think it was 15 or so years now?).

I hate to assume living conditions, but do you have the option of finding another therapist? No, really, I mean it, if a therapist is going to assume only one presentation of potentially-relevant conditions then that doesn't bode well for the rest of their approach.

sleepy kitty

yeeter yeeter, pumpkin eater
Sadly, there are still too many people who are going to claim autism has a "look". Probably because all they know are the severe stories. I've been hit with that sentence a few times, probably fewer than a lot of other autistic people, but the most painful time by far was when I was trying to get government help some years back (I think it was 15 or so years now?).

I hate to assume living conditions, but do you have the option of finding another therapist? No, really, I mean it, if a therapist is going to assume only one presentation of potentially-relevant conditions then that doesn't bode well for the rest of their approach.
I'm going to bring it up to her again, and if she continues to refuse to help me, I might try to find somewhere else. I have two insurance providers so it probably won't be an issue. I already have a place in mind.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
In case it's not REALLY obvious, yeah I have aspergers. You know, having a fascination with Sonic and Warhammer 40,000 sort of points that out. However, I HATE people to use my disability to place me on a pedestal. All through high school I simply wanted to be seen as normal and that is what I want now. I don't see myself as a mainline furry, (a lot of my characters are way more violent and serious for the general furry fandom), but could there be a correlation? Probably, but I don't use my diagnosis to make myself a 'special snowflake'. To me being seen as normal is probably the best option for me.

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
I have also been claimed that I don’t look autistic. And I think it is because people compare autistic symptoms with that of Down syndrome or any other disabilities that cause mental retardation. However some still see my abnormalities, though they don’t know if it is autism or not.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I have also been claimed that I don’t look autistic. And I think it is because people compare autistic symptoms with that of Down syndrome or any other disabilities that cause mental retardation. However some still see my abnormalities, though they don’t know if it is autism or not.

They ironically thought I had ADD in my early years of elementary school.

ben909

Yakamaru

Level 32 Knight
I find it a form of compliment. For a lot of people you honestly can't tell if they're Autistic.

The very same, the one where some bad experiences have already been shared in this thread.

I included the fact that autism advocates don't like it AND my take on the whole "wear this at this time" thing being shallow and offensive as a counterbalance.

That said, outright trashing someone just because they're wearing a certain color at a certain time for awareness campaigns is itself a bit of cult-like scummy behavior. I cannot and should not tell people how to act in this regard, I can only provide what I make of it.
AS can fuck off like the white knight saviour complex nitwits that they are.

Treating someone as if they are incapable of thinking for themselves, as if they don't have the emotional and/or intellectual capacity/capability like everyone else, incapable of defending themselves, don't understand what it is that they are doing..The list is long over pretentious fuckery coming from AS. I honestly can't stand being treated as inferior and need a white knight with a saviour complex to come in and "save" me from all things "bad", all because I have Autism.

As for wearing a colour, I don't see any issues with it, really. People should be free to wear whatever colour they please.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Same story , although not for as long

The worst part is they put me on Adderall, but I pretended to take it and spat it out for an entire year until I told my parents. At that point they realized the medicine didn't help me and I was able to control myself and focus on school on my own.