• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Autism in The Fandom

Crisahitna

With me, I was originally diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder when I was really, really young, and then was diagnosed with Aspergers in 8th grade. I can say from experience that having a social disability doesn't change your personality one bit, so I've done a lot of work on myself personally instead of just focusing on my speech. I never regret my changes one bit. I wish there are more Aspies who are willing to work themselves personally in a mirror and take the motivation to better themselves as a person. Chris Chan, for example. Bless his heart, but he's got a really long way to go; imagine a kid with autism being raised by a narcissistic parent. It never ends well.

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
With me, I was originally diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder when I was really, really young, and then was diagnosed with Aspergers in 8th grade. I can say from experience that having a social disability doesn't change your personality one bit, so I've done a lot of work on myself personally instead of just focusing on my speech. I never regret my changes one bit. I wish there are more Aspies who are willing to work themselves personally in a mirror and take the motivation to better themselves as a person. Chris Chan, for example. Bless his heart, but he's got a really long way to go; imagine a kid with autism being raised by a narcissistic parent. It never ends well.
For me it's like a combination of things since autism can develop other mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, OCD, ADHD, etc. All of which I have that doesn't help me at all, only makes things worse for me. In your case you don't seem to have these issues, you got lucky there but feel free to prove me wrong. Chris Chan on the other hand got VERY unlucky. His autism is so severe that he has become detached with reality completely, and of course his parents, trolls, and general surroundings greatly contributed to his demise.

RileyTheOtter

The Autistic Otter
AS is a perfect example of something I've been saying for years: We don't suffer from autism, we suffer from idiots and pretentious pricks because of it. Worst part of April is AS does all their stupid ad and donation campaigns in it so people throw money at them naively thinking AS actually wants to help and their donation will let them do that.

Bigjackaal48

Found this a while back

Yakamaru

Level 32 Knight
AS is a perfect example of something I've been saying for years: We don't suffer from autism, we suffer from idiots and pretentious pricks because of it. Worst part of April is AS does all their stupid ad and donation campaigns in it so people throw money at them naively thinking AS actually wants to help and their donation will let them do that.
Pretty much. Glad we don't have much in terms of that crap over here. People take mental health seriously from my experience, which have made my life hella easier, of which we've already talked in length and depth on.

"Individual advocacy, what is that, some sort of obscure dish?"

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
Pretty much. Glad we don't have much in terms of that crap over here. People take mental health seriously from my experience, which have made my life hella easier, of which we've already talked in length and depth on.

"Individual advocacy, what is that, some sort of obscure dish?"
No one here really gives a flying fuck about mental health unless you’re the quiet kid who snapped.

BassFoxBoog

Nicknamed E by Ssaannttoo
Woo a section for us super duper ASD furs
Aspie and proud for 31 years
Only diagnosed 5 years ago though

You'd have thunk us asd-ers would be all over the fandom

Rock and roll