• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Autism/Special Interests Thread

Monosuki the Aurian

Kyu the Braixen
I'd say it's been an interesting time with the whole...."diagnosis" thing....to be swift, it began when I was around....fifteen or fourteen...

So, I had been told that I had Autism, but it was on a more high-functioning scale. And maybe it would explain my odd characteristics. When people make jokes, I never found them funny, at least, the vast majority. When people tried to make me smile, I never understood why. In family photos, I rarely smiled, unless prompted to. And when it came to more wholesome things, like understanding other's feelings, I lacked that aspect and ability. When it came to sad movies, I never found it sad. More so confusing. I was an odd, stone cold child back then....and yet, even now, with some more of a understanding of my diagnosis, I still can't seem to change the etchings of the past.....which I find rather strange. I've also recently been hit with the "anger issues" and "abandonment issues" label as well, which is....quite unfortunate.

Simply put,. there is many things that tend to ail me, with those three being the key in their motives. I may even have PTSD from childhood issues and situations....events and scenarios that were completely out of my power....thus, leading to certain aspects that eventually shaped how my life is now. I found it all rather odd, and yet, I continue to press on, searching for a deeper understanding of my issues....

I cling to the faint glimmer of hope that I'll eventually understand myself fully, and probably work on self-improvement as well.

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
When people make jokes, I never found them funny, at least, the vast majority. When people tried to make me smile, I never understood why. In family photos, I rarely smiled, unless prompted to. And when it came to more wholesome things, like understanding other's feelings, I lacked that aspect and ability. When it came to sad movies, I never found it sad. More so confusing. I was an odd, stone cold child back then....and yet, even now, with some more of a understanding of my diagnosis, I still can't seem to change the etchings of the past.....which I find rather strange. I've also recently been hit with the "anger issues" and "abandonment issues" label as well, which is....quite unfortunate.

You're describing my previous roommate. i know exactly what you mean because i lived with it for a decade.
i empathize completely with your situation as well. i've had many heartfelt conversations with my roomie in dealing with his cognitive "limitations". it's like being born with a form of color blindness; the color of conversation. You can understand the words you read, hear and digest but you can't tell what "color" they are. Friendly ribbing jokes feel sound like insults. Sarcastic comments seem to come across as literal statements. Tears of laughter or intense happiness are sometimes confused for tears of sadness. The nuance of conversation is often lost, and so multi-level jokes and all forms of innuendo come across as shallow instead of comedy brilliance.

it goes beyond jokes and wordplay though. Reading people, personalities, emotions and subtle nuances can be tricky. The best way to be understood it is simply to talk about it. if you have a therapist, share your self observations with your family and the people that live with you. Some people might not recognize that you have these limitations and treat you harshly. it's important to recognize the "colors" you're "blind" to. Some people may take advantage of them as well. i've witnessed exploitation over such "blindness". You may be more susceptible to manipulation and narcissists are bound to pick up on and take advantage of your "blindness". i've seen it.

Learn about yourself. Ask your family and people you trust to TELL YOU what colors you're "blind" to. Discuss them with your loved ones and make an honest effort to work on them. You can't "fix" a broken sense of humor, but you CAN learn to spot manipulation, better understand innuendo, how to identify sarcasm, etc. Trust me. if you're honest with yourself about your "blindess", you can learn to cope with it and recognize where and how to adapt. if you're younger, you'll need those skills for the workplace, especially if "anger issues" and frustration have been a problem for you in the past. -especially if your frustration comes from miscommunication! (and i'd bet that it does)

Just one more thing, because i suspect this may apply (from my experience with your type of personality) : if you have hurt feelings and issues with friends and family ribbing you and making playful jokes at your expense, PLEASE try to understand that said jokes aren't ever meant to offend. Friends and family make those joked BECAUSE they know you don't get them. Even though it may be difficult to understand, they make those jokes because they love and RESPECT you. Treating you any differently -to save your feelings- would be treating you with less respect.

Monosuki the Aurian

Kyu the Braixen
You're describing my previous roommate. i know exactly what you mean because i lived with it for a decade.
i empathize completely with your situation as well. i've had many heartfelt conversations with my roomie in dealing with his cognitive "limitations". it's like being born with a form of color blindness; the color of conversation. You can understand the words you read, hear and digest but you can't tell what "color" they are. Friendly ribbing jokes feel sound like insults. Sarcastic comments seem to come across as literal statements. Tears of laughter or intense happiness are sometimes confused for tears of sadness. The nuance of conversation is often lost, and so multi-level jokes and all forms of innuendo come across as shallow instead of comedy brilliance.

it goes beyond jokes and wordplay though. Reading people, personalities, emotions and subtle nuances can be tricky. The best way to be understood it is simply to talk about it. if you have a therapist, share your self observations with your family and the people that live with you. Some people might not recognize that you have these limitations and treat you harshly. it's important to recognize the "colors" you're "blind" to. Some people may take advantage of them as well. i've witnessed exploitation over such "blindness". You may be more susceptible to manipulation and narcissists are bound to pick up on and take advantage of your "blindness". i've seen it.

Learn about yourself. Ask your family and people you trust to TELL YOU what colors you're "blind" to. Discuss them with your loved ones and make an honest effort to work on them. You can't "fix" a broken sense of humor, but you CAN learn to spot manipulation, better understand innuendo, how to identify sarcasm, etc. Trust me. if you're honest with yourself about your "blindess", you can learn to cope with it and recognize where and how to adapt. if you're younger, you'll need those skills for the workplace, especially if "anger issues" and frustration have been a problem for you in the past. -especially if your frustration comes from miscommunication! (and i'd bet that it does)

Just one more thing, because i suspect this may apply (from my experience with your type of personality) : if you have hurt feelings and issues with friends and family ribbing you and making playful jokes at your expense, PLEASE try to understand that said jokes aren't ever meant to offend. Friends and family make those joked BECAUSE they know you don't get them. Even though it may be difficult to understand, they make those jokes because they love and RESPECT you. Treating you any differently -to save your feelings- would be treating you with less respect.
I understand....interesting how there was someone who shared the same issues as I.....either way it goes, I thank you for your kind words! They really do offer that of enlightenment and encouragement, and I thank you sincerely!

Meta_Tiara

Lucky that I was diagnosed around my elementary school years. Didn‘t really fit in with the others and got in trouble with the teachers. Was put into a special education class at around fourth grade, so it really helped a lot. :D

BunBunArt

Princess Bunny ♥
I was about to get diagnoed for ADHD since I have all the symptoms, but in the end after a lot of therapy and testing I was diagnosed with asperger.
I have huge devotion for art, but more speciffically for creating worlds, characters and stories since I was 3 years old (probably earlier because I started drawing as soon as I learned to grab a pencil, around 2 years old!)

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Aspie here, always had a thing for computers. (Planning to take a couple old ones when I move out and fix 'em up so they play the older games my modern computer can't quite get right.)

Plushie obsession as usual for sensory issues.

Obsession with statistics and root causes leads to the MOST problems (some of you saw this in the old forum style; those who haven't, just TRUST me when I say it causes major issues engaging in modern society).

Used to have an obsession with video games and route planning. I might be able to recapture the videogames bit but my days of planning speedruns are long behind me.

When I write up worlds (my art focus is writing-centered, NOT drawing/graphic design) I feel like everything absolutely HAS to link and make sense, and a hole in the story will cause me severe anxiety.

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs

Wow......I dont think I've come across a better descriptor for my thought process than this

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
Wow......I dont think I've come across a better descriptor for my thought process than this
i have a lot of experience teaching and living with kids and adults in the "mentally challenged" department. Communication is something that a lot of my friends and students live with so that's been my go-to analogy to help them describe what they're "color blind" to. They hear and understand the words, but the can't understand the "color" of language.
With communication problems, it's doubly difficult to communicate what you don't understand. it's a cycle of misunderstanding. i give this analogy to them so they can accurately communicate their "blindness" to others.

Gushousekai195

Fanatic Artist
I have such obscure interests that knowing how very few people care about them hurts.

One particularly very obscure interest I have is Hydro Broncs:

There was only one place in the world where anyone could ride in one without buying one themselves (they were very, very expensive). That place is now gone and the main company known for selling Hydro Broncs is now seemingly defunct. But still, I really want to ride in one. There is no other water ride where you are harnessed inside an inflatable wheel-like raft that you can even turn upside down in. There just isn’t.

I even attempted to create a video about Hydro Broncs that I hoped would go viral. The very thing does have viral potential for being so unique. The video itself was uploaded about a year ago, but it only has 400 views to its name. >_<

D

Deleted member 134556

I adore parrots, and enjoy sharing them with others. I also have an interest in mythology and history. Dragons have also been a big interest of mine.

I also was really into skateboarding, but I haven't rode one in a while. I plan on getting back into the hobby.

pinecones

I both adore and am terrified of early 20th century animation.
Something about their glassy eyes and toothy grins scare the crap out of me, yet I can't look away.
Like this one, a Silly Symphony, at about the 3:45 minute mark when "the Boogiemen" come out.
Why do they sing like that?? Why do they move like that? I don't like it!!!
The Heffalumps and Woozles song did the same thing to me. Trauma for real, guys.

Anyway, I also adore meta philosophy and exploring "strange phenomena", but people hate whenever I talk about it. :(

Foxy Emy

*Mischivious Noises*
Ha! I am obsessed with distributed ledger technology (bitcoin, blockchain and the like) and cryptography in general. More the technology and less the investment stuff. But the stuff funded a good chunk on my education.

If someone gets me started on it, I can talk for hours about the tech and my story of making $20k from $5 (not a typo) without even realizing it.

Last edited:

Foxy Emy

*Mischivious Noises*

Borophagus Metropolis

The last prehistoric floofy woof of FAF
I boof in your general direction! Oh... Wait... You are the boofer. Nvm.

Broof!
I am obsessed with motorized vehicles and their mechanical workings. The aesthetics of the mechanics. This is why I am a mechanic. I rarely get along with other "car people", because my reasons are completely different than theirs.

I am also obsessed with music, but I can't make a living with that.

Borophagus Metropolis

Ha! I am obsessed with distributed ledger technology (bitcoin, blockchain and the like) and cryptography in general. More the technology and less the investment stuff. But the stuff funded a good chunk on my education.

If someone gets me started on it, I can talk for hours about the tech and my story of making $20k from $5 (not a typo) without even realizing it.

On the flip side, I am totally dumb with money. I don't know how to money. I just want my bills paid.

Foxy Emy

*Mischivious Noises*
Broof!
I am obsessed with motorized vehicles and their mechanical workings. The aesthetics of the mechanics. This is why I am a mechanic. I rarely get along with other "car people", because my reasons are completely different than theirs.

I am also obsessed with music, but I can't make a living with that.

Ha! I do a bit with cars considering I drive UberEATS and don't want to visit a mechanic unless I can't replace something myself. My old Milan had Double Irridium spark plugs because it is easy to spend $20 on fancy spark plugs when you aren't paying a mechanic to do it for you. Lol.

On the flip side, I am totally dumb with money. I don't know how to money. I just want my bills paid.
Oh me, too! I can hardly budget. I knew just enough about the tech to predict what would still be around 2 years later and was lucky enough that it took off in Asian markets and went up in price over $2000%. Lol

People said I was crazy back in 2014. In 2016 they were jealous of me, then after the crash in 2018 I was finally humbled a bit.

pilgrimfromoblivion

DEEP IN THE JEANS SHE'S WEARING
Banned
I don't know if I'm self-diagnosing or not, but I looked at the symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome and realized I share an awful lot of the symptoms.
As for something I find interesting, I was always fascinated by crossover mechanics in video games. I'm not sure if there's a name for it, but I love it when a character crosses over into a video game and takes a mechanic from their game into another one.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Pretty sure I have autism. Am going to talk to my therapist about it next time we meet because I feel fairly sure I'm on the spectrum. As for my obsessions. They come and go. I used to be really obsessed with geometry. Recently it's been lizards and Battlestar Galactica.

pinecones

Broof!
You might appreciate on artist I found on YT many years ago, PeterDraws. He draws these abstract, highly detailed and surreal images, many of them spaceships and machinery from an alien world. His art helped me get back into drawing after concussion and neurosurgery, as it has a nice stream-of-consciousness style.

Borophagus Metropolis

You might appreciate on artist I found on YT many years ago, PeterDraws. He draws these abstract, highly detailed and surreal images, many of them spaceships and machinery from an alien world. His art helped me get back into drawing after concussion and neurosurgery, as it has a nice stream-of-consciousness style.

I love surreal art, and appreciate mechanical details. I will look it up!