• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

autistic Furrys

are you autistic

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only been in the furry community for a short time and from what I've seen so far a lot of furries seem to be autistic, so I thought I would start a poll to see.

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
I'd rather not have a discussion about autism and furries, its lead to some hate in the past. We had a discussion about this a few months back and the results were really bad how some furs treated autistic people...could we not reopen this wound?
If you want to learn more it should be a few pages in the community discussion.

jtrekkie

Feathered
I wasn't here for that but I'm guessing it was a couple particular people stirring things up.

Anyway it doesn't matter, people are people.

mcjoel

Pepmurrmint Fox
Oh boy here we go I was going to make some sort of joke about furries and autism but decide against it also I why did you make it a visible poll ?

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
If your going to add a poll at least add in aspergers syndrome since its similar to autism.

Kinharia

Drunken Irish Snow Leopard
I'll gladly say I'm autistic. Why? Because it helps make me a socially awkward, strange person that is different from the rest? Besides why the hate... like everyone else we're just here to share our love for Furries!

Joey

I voted yes ironically. I'm so edgy.

If your going to add a poll at least add in aspergers syndrome since its similar to autism.
You mean that thing that was dropped from the American Psychiatric Association manual a couple years ago?

Last edited:

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
I voted yes ironically. I'm so edgy.

You mean that thing that was dropped from the American Psychiatric Association manual a couple years ago?

I dunno, i think in Britain its still considered autism but if that's what's going on in America than at least it makes some sense to add it into the poll.

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
I don't know what autistic means.
I normally hear people in Dota 2 use that as a form of insult. Whatever it is... It's not a funny matter. I wouldnt mess with handicapped people

Kinharia

Drunken Irish Snow Leopard
I don't know what autistic means.
I normally hear people in Dota 2 use that as a form of insult. Whatever it is... It's not a funny matter. I wouldnt mess with handicapped people
It has no proper defination, many people have different traits that make up the spectrum, but they all share the same trait and that is Social skill goes out the window in exchange for skill in something no matter how pointless it is. Even in a very minor form (such as what I have with it) it still makes social interaction quite awkward with people they have never met, heck even with people they know. Hope that helps clear things up

Zeitzbach

Taste purple
I am with 5 different mental disorders, 2 social disorders and a physical disorder. Did I also mention I suffer from overly optimisticism and depression too?

I am with 5 different mental disorders, 2 social disorders and a physical disorder. Did I also mention I suffer from overly optimisticism and depression too?

not surprised about the depression then, I'm amazed you can even get out of bed in the morning. you must have a positive attitude.
seriously though, I feel sorry for you, I guess its good you found a friendly community to support you!

Riltmos

Airship explorer
Yes, I am. I used to be bad enough that it didn't take people very long to figure out I was, but I've been doing my best to cover up the negative sides of it. Sure there are a few things I haven't quite got down, especially facial expressions and tone. And sometimes it feels like I am walking into a minefield when I am talking about anything, but I do my best not to annoy people or frustrate them. But overall I cannot say autism is inherently a good or bad thing unless it is severe, it all depends on how the person with it handles having autism. What really frustrates me however are the people who don't even try to work around it and instead use it as an excuse to do or say whatever they want to, or worse, self-diagnose themselves and do the former. They are asspergers.

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
No, I'm a perfectly normal human being.

Although interestingly enough, my mom thought I had autism early on, because I never talked. She put me through dozens of exams and testing (like "match the object with the picture") and I seemed to have aced them no problem. The doctors all said I could do everything and follow most directions given, I was just a quiet boy. At 5 I actually began talking, in complete sentences no less!

CT-2134

I'm going to add my $.02 to this and come right out and say it. I'm autistic. The only thing that upsets me is when the non-autstics start going on a white-knight spree saying "O, they are special and they need to be treated to be as such." and start spewing "Don't call anybody autistic because das offensive!!" Who are you to dictate what I can or cannot say? It doesn't hurt the autist's feelings as much as it hurts yours. I have never once known another autistic person that cried or thought about offing themselves because somebody called them an autistic (insert fandom) fag. Maybe during middle school, but after that, it was a matter of finding a quiet corner and skating by. You can generally tell who is autisic in the furfandom when people not familiar with it try to insult it (the fandom) and the AFFs usually laugh it off and continue about their day.

MorbidWolf

Wolfmon
I have Aspergers but I call it Autisim simply cuz enouncitating aspergers just annoys me.. I get flamed a lot when I mention I have it most people just say I don't 'type' like it and is just an ass trying to get attention.

Brass

OP furries are super autistic.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I've had people ask if I'm on the spectrum, or speculate that I might be on the spectrum, but I don't meet criteria for ASD, and I've never been diagnosed.

When with "normal" people, I'm awkward, off-beat, and eccentric. When among geeks, I'm often the most socially-aware and socially-competent person in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.