• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Forum Auto-Close Old Threads

inkbloom

plant mom and mom friend
I've seen it happen a few times now where an interesting thread from years ago gets resurrected by a typically new user and then flooded with "necro" posts before ultimately being shut down.

To prevent this from happening, and encourage fresh new topics without drudging up old hat, would it be possible to have a thread auto-close after some amount of inactivity? Perhaps once a thread has been abandoned for 5 months, it automatically gets locked so no more posts can happen in that thread but it is still viewable to the public.

You could even implement a review system in case someone wants a particular thread to be reopened, like if an rp went on a rather long hiatus or current events make old threads relevant again.

Please let me know what you think. I hope this wasn't a silly idea.

quoting_mungo

I’m all for, especially if sticky topics are automatically excluded. I think there might have been mention, last time this came up, of this being non-trivial to set up on the forum software FAF uses. Could be misremembering that, though.

inkbloom

plant mom and mom friend
I’m all for, especially if sticky topics are automatically excluded. I think there might have been mention, last time this came up, of this being non-trivial to set up on the forum software FAF uses. Could be misremembering that, though.
That would be amazing if it was a simple implementation. I know nothing about web design or programming, so I was worried that I might be suggesting something that seemed simple but was actually infeasible.