• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Autonomous Cars

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
I love cars. I've been in love with them since I was a small child. However, as most people know, autonomous, self-driving cars are poised to take over our streets, but it's hard to figure out just how close that day is. This is a very nuanced sort of issue, so I wonder, how much more time is left before you guys think driving will go the way of riding horses?
Lol, I probably sound like a luddite, right? XD

V

Vitaly

15-20 years
if progress will go with the same speed as today

A Minty cheetah

~C H E E~
15-20 years

I'd agree that the tech will probably take this long to get reliable enough. The problem then is getting people to trust it and then fork out the cash to pay for it. I reckon it'll be closer to 50 years before autonomous vehicles overtake regular ones as being more prevalent on the road.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
15-20 years
I'd agree that the tech will probably take this long to get reliable enough. The problem then is getting people to trust it and then fork out the cash to pay for it. I reckon it'll be closer to 50 years before autonomous vehicles overtake regular ones as being more prevalent on the road.
Are you guys sure? Remember, technology advances exponentially, not linearly.

A Minty cheetah

~C H E E~
Tech does usually progress exponentially, but there's so much emphasis on safety that the AI is going to need to be utterly perfect and that makes me think it will take much longer. This isn't a games console (for example) which can have bugs patched out later, because any bugs in the AI may well spell death for multiple people.

Regarding infrastructure: with the primary focus now being on electric cars, the charging infrastructure is going to need a serious overhaul if people are going to adopt. Even if the AI is ready only five years from now, I'd bet that manufacturers wouldn't bother with fossil fuelled autonomous cars. This would need to be implemented slowly over the years as it will cost an exorbitant amount to just go all in at once. Either way, we (the taxpayer) will foot the bill.

I have no idea exactly how autonomous cars "see" the world and roads, but surely the road markings will need to be better maintained so as to avoid confusing the systems. Even more cost to local councils which then gets passed on to the taxpayers. Yay!

Can't think of anything else to add for now; I've had a crappy night at work and need my sleeps!

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Given the condition of roads in many states, and the reluctance to raise taxes to fix them even to current standards, autonomous cars might never happen :p

Also, the roads in a lot of US cities are in really, really rough shape: this would seem to be a huge problem, given how cash-strapped most city budgets are.

Unless the autonomous auto industry kicks in support, it could be a long while before people were convinced they needed all this new infrastructure, when so many other issues already exist, to resolve (crime, drugs, corruption, lack of funding for schools, repair of water and sewage lines, &c, &c)

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
Given the condition of roads in many states, and the reluctance to raise taxes to fix them even to current standards, autonomous cars might never happen :p

Also, the roads in a lot of US cities are in really, really rough shape: this would seem to be a huge problem, given how cash-strapped most city budgets are.

Unless the autonomous auto industry kicks in support, it could be a long while before people were convinced they needed all this new infrastructure, when so many other issues already exist, to resolve (crime, drugs, corruption, lack of funding for schools, repair of water and sewage lines, &c, &c)
So, we can't really have autonomous cars being commonplace without robust infrastructure?

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
I think the thing with me and autonomous cars is that everything else on the roads would probably have to be autonomous as well. Which provides for more points for someone to hack into the system.

Sorry, last time I had this discussion my first thought was Christine. Yeah, the Stephen King one.

And that one scenario in Megaman Battle Network too while we're at it.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
I think the thing with me and autonomous cars is that everything else on the roads would probably have to be autonomous as well. Which provides for more points for someone to hack into the system.

Sorry, last time I had this discussion my first thought was Christine. Yeah, the Stephen King one.

And that one scenario in Megaman Battle Network too while we're at it.
You see hacking being a major problem? (Sorry for the slow response)

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
You see hacking being a major problem? (Sorry for the slow response)
Hacking cars is already happening with the limited electronics they have. Hell, you have the CIA/FBI on video showing how it's done. Tho that may easily be fake as far as I know.

But yes, remote control/hacking is a far bigger concern with autonomous cars. Especially if the car have any sort of wireless connection available.

Slytherin Umbreon

Black Lives Matter
Everyone was afraid of robots...
No one suspected the cars...
flat,550x550,075,f.u3.jpg

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
Hacking cars is already happening with the limited electronics they have. Hell, you have the CIA/FBI on video showing how it's done. Tho that may easily be fake as far as I know.

But yes, remote control/hacking is a far bigger concern with autonomous cars. Especially if the car have any sort of wireless connection available.
Huh. How come I haven't heard any of that before?

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
D

Deleted member 111470

I remember watching a video where someone gave this scenario:

Imagine your autonomous car driving itself with a relatively fast speed, say 60-70 mp/h. Imagine that suddenly an obstacle appears right in front of you and the car has a split second to determine what to do - it can swirl away to the side, where there are pedestrians, and kill them, or it can slam you into the obstacle and kill you. What should the car be programmed to do in a case such as this? Kill the driver, or kill the bystanders?

So it's not just about hacking the cars. It's a bit more complicated than that.

And I for one, am not yet ready to place my life in the hands of a computer script.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
The mainstream media doesn't like WikiLeaks.
I remember watching a video where someone gave this scenario:

Imagine your autonomous car driving itself with a relatively fast speed, say 60-70 mp/h. Imagine that suddenly an obstacle appears right in front of you and the car has a split second to determine what to do - it can swirl away to the side, where there are pedestrians, and kill them, or it can slam you into the obstacle and kill you. What should the car be programmed to do in a case such as this? Kill the driver, or kill the bystanders?

So it's not just about hacking the cars. It's a bit more complicated than that.

And I for one, am not yet ready to place my life in the hands of a computer script.
The issue is that a certain car company with a certain prolific CEO is rushing headlong into all of this stuff, regardless of whether society is ready for, or even wants autonomous cars yet. They don't seem to be willing to answer these questions.

D

Deleted member 111470

The issue is that a certain car company with a certain prolific CEO is rushing headlong into all of this stuff, regardless of whether society is ready for, or even wants autonomous cars yet. They don't seem to be willing to answer these questions.

I can't really recall who was talking in the video, but I'm almost certain it was the same prolific CEO you're talking about. It could very well have been he, who proposed this scenario. And I can't really afford to look through videos at the moment because I'm running on limited internet data xD

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
I'm a terrible driver. Everyone else on the road frightens me. I hope it comes sooner rather than later!
I will admit that the autonomous car revolution will come with some benefits to me, mainly the fact that I won't have to bum rides off of people anymore.
But, at the same time, cars has been my primary passion since I was 3 or 4 years old. Having the steering wheel forcibly taken away will deal a crippling blow to my hobby, since there's no way in hell that any government will allow people to drive anymore once autonomous cars make there way onto the streets. I don't know how I'm supposed to sacrifice something that's literally a part of who I am as a person. You have to understand...
I can't really recall who was talking in the video, but I'm almost certain it was the same prolific CEO you're talking about. It could very well have been he, who proposed this scenario. And I can't really afford to look through videos at the moment because I'm running on limited internet data xD
Which scenario did he propose?

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
Oh 100%. I want autonomous cars for people like me, but I would hate for it to be at the expense of others who are passionate about it.
I want 100% autonomous cars, too. As I said before, I'd never have to bum rides off of people ever again and would be able to go wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted to. It would be legitimate liberation for me.
But, yeah, at the same time, I'm afraid that it's going to be at the expense of my hobby. I'm not afraid of self-driving cars. I'm afraid of the people and their governments deciding that self-driving cars ought to be the only way to go. I'm afraid that society won't tolerate allowing the roads to be shared between humans and computers.

Julen

✮ Banter Squad Member ✮
The idea of the car killing a bunch off bystanders as to save the driver, or killing the driver to save the bystanders is actually a subject we have treated in class during a lecture about "ethics", which id clearly reminiscent of the footbridge and trolley problem (Foot 1978)

there is certainly a deontologist or utilitarian approach, that the ones creating such cars need to take into EXTREME consideration

However, as a libertarian, I'M the one driving the car, and I'M the one who decides whether to smash those brainlets or not and I'M the one that smashes them or not