• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Avril Lavigne! <3

eversleep

Banned
Banned
Is it me or do Canadians have really bad taste in music? Lavigne, Nickelback, and Justin Bieber- the unholy trinity of awful music. They did give us Rush, though.

I do not like Avril Lavigne because I knew of a girl in high school who dressed up like her every. single. day. It got annoying seeing more red-and-black on her than in the Georgia Dome on a Sunday.
I honestly don't get why everyone hates Nickelback. I guess I can understand the hatred of Bieber abd Lavigne, but most people who hate those two are like "needs more RAWK". So they churn out Nickelback and you guys still complain. I guess it's because Nickelback is actually popular and you guys are too hipster to listen to them?

Also Canadians are fucking awesome. Alanis Morissette and Nelly Furtado are Canadian.

And I graduated high school. It's just most young teens I know get rebellious streaks at least once or twice. I still think you're lying.

Aidy

they call me yolo swaggins
I honestly don't get why everyone hates Nickelback. I guess I can understand the hatred of Bieber abd Lavigne, but most people who hate those two are like "needs more RAWK". So they churn out Nickelback and you guys still complain. I guess it's because Nickelback is actually popular and you guys are too hipster to listen to them?

Also Canadians are fucking awesome. Alanis Morissette and Nelly Furtado are Canadian.

And I graduated high school. It's just most young teens I know get rebellious streaks at least once or twice. I still think you're lying.

No, because good rock sounds like Nirvana or Red Hot Chili Peppers, not Nickleback. I'm not a fucking hipster because I don't like Nickleback, I like Blur, that would be a complete contradiction if I were a hipster.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard

If you want people to respect your music choice, learn to respect others.
Personally, NB leans on more of a Country Genre than Alternative IMO. Never been a big fan of NB anyways just becuase it was one of those Artists you'd hear on the radio 10 times an every 2 hours.

Nelly Furtado's the only good pop singer that came out of Canada, the rest can DIAF. :V
And she's Latino. :V

That's with most people under 25 because they are still trying to find their identity as they come out of their Teens. That streak stops when they become adults.

eversleep

Banned
Banned
If you want people to respect your music choice, learn to respect others.
Personally, NB leans on more of a Country Genre than Alternative IMO. Never been a big fan of NB anyways just becuase it was one of those Artists you'd hear on the radio 10 times an every 2 hours.
I do respect others' music choices, they're the ones being disrespectful.
Nelly Furtado's the only good pop singer that came out of Canada, the rest can DIAF. :V
And she's Latino. :V
She's not the only good one, there's probably others that I can't think of right now. Also I don't know if she counts as Latino or not. Portuguese ancestry = Latino? I thought Latino was South American. Portugal is Europe. Either way, it doesn't matter what her roots are. Canadian is Canadian. You wouldn't call an American black man an African, would you?
That's with most people under 25 because they are still trying to find their identity as they come out of their Teens. That streak stops when they become adults.
Ok, but what I'm saying is that people who deny going through an awkward rebel phase are probably lying to make themselves look better.

Gavrill

ladies~
No, because good rock sounds like Nirvana or Red Hot Chili Peppers, not Nickleback. I'm not a fucking hipster because I don't like Nickleback, I like Blur, that would be a complete contradiction if I were a hipster.
RHCP has some good stuff but a lot of it is awful :(

@thread
It's all preference really, though. Yeah you can like Avril/Nickleback/whatever but it's not good to expect others to like it as well. When you try to assert stuff like THIS IS THE BEST BAND EVER, of course everyone will laugh (especially when it's an overrated artist such as Avril).
expecting people to like stuff you like and getting mad that they don't is pretty childish

Aidy

I do respect others' music choices, they're the ones being disrespectful.

She's not the only good one, there's probably others that I can't think of right now. Also I don't know if she counts as Latino or not. Portuguese ancestry = Latino? I thought Latino was South American. Portugal is Europe. Either way, it doesn't matter what her roots are. Canadian is Canadian. You wouldn't call an American black man an African, would you?

You realise Portugal settled in South America, right?

Why do you think Brazilians speak Portuguese? Why do you think Mexicans speak Spanish? Latino/a = Spanish decent. Or better known as Hispanic.

And a black man would have African roots, therefore they are African American. When someone says something like that, they aren't saying their nationality, they're saying their ethnicity. They're not the same thing at all.

@Gavrill

Well, I've always kinda liked them. Especially stuff like Californication, that was just a masterpiece.

eversleep

Banned
Banned
You realise Portugal settled in South America, right?

Why do you think Brazilians speak Portuguese? Why do you think Mexicans speak Spanish? Latino/a = Spanish decent. Or better known as Hispanic.

And a black man would have African roots, therefore they are African American. When someone says something like that, they aren't saying their nationality, they're saying their ethnicity. They're not the same thing at all.
Ok, but still, Canadian is Canadian, regardless of ethnicity.

Aidy

Californication was p great, but I don't think I'll ever get over the disappointment of Stadium Arcadium. ;;

Stadium Arcadium has a few good songs on it, like Dani California and Hump de Bump

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Also I don't know if she counts as Latino or not. Portuguese ancestry = Latino? I thought Latino was South American. Portugal is Europe.

Latino is Latin American descent.
Portugal is a different vegetable.
And Come on, ES. At most, you do intice the mob to flame you, but I will not get in to that today.
Now back on topic: Avril isn't my favorite, but she's a little more easy on the ears than...let's say Amy Lee. :V

Stadium Arcadium has a few good songs on it, like Dani California and Hump de Bump

"One Hot minute" will always be my favorite album.

Last edited:

eversleep

Banned
Banned
And Come on, ES. At most, you do intice the mob to flame you, but I will not get in to that today.
Now back on topic: Avril isn't my favorite, but she's a little more easy on the ears than...let's say Amy Lee. :V
Is "ES" supposed to be me? I'm getting confused with you and others possibly adressing me that way.
Really? I thought people liked Evanescence better than Avril. I never really heard anyone say they hated Amy Lee.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Is "ES" supposed to be me? I'm getting confused with you and others possibly adressing me that way.
Really? I thought people liked Evanescence better than Avril. I never really heard anyone say they hated Amy Lee.

It's over played and her voice pitch gives me a headache. Personal opinion aside, her music is on the overplayed side.
But then again, if it weren't for Amy Lee, we wouldn't have lulzcows like the author of my Immortal.

eversleep

Banned
Banned

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard

triage

grats dude
Discussing the influence of Soulja Boy in My Immortal is possibly the best option that this thread presented.

Ben

Banned
Banned
I honestly don't get why everyone hates Nickelback. I guess I can understand the hatred of Bieber and Lavigne

I think you have that backwards. Hate of Nickelback is definitely more understandable than hate of Bieber (all things considered, he's a pretty neat kid, even if I don't listen to his music) or Avril.

Personally, I like Avril Lavigne, mainly since Let Go was the first album I ever bought. I share your disdain for The Best Damn Thing, it felt incredibly fake compared to her previous work (I mean really, why is a girl who was married at the time singing about stealing people's boyfriends), not to mention a lot of the songs on that album sounded like retreads from her previous two. Good Bye Lullaby gets too dreary near the end, but it's an improvement over the third album.

I don't count her amongst my favorite artists, since I kind of think she needs to show a little more maturity after 10 years in the music industry, but hey, maybe she'll pull through. Can't be 17 forever, Avril.

Also, I looked this up: Apparently, she's never worked with Dr. Luke and Max Martin at the same time. Dr. Luke collaborated with her on the third album, and Max Martin on the fourth. So peculiar.

Alstor

And twice as shiny
I call bullshit on everyone that says they haven't heard from her in a while. The girl singing "AND THAT'S WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I SMILEEEEEEEEE" should have sounded familiar.

In my opinion, Nickelback is marketed to be the ultimate blue collar band. Like Tom Petty, but with way more beer. If you see them live, it's obvious that they're just dudes that derp on stage with instruments, seeing as they spend half the concert talking to the audience. So right there they lost the anti-country listeners.

Then there's the way that some some of their songs are recycled from old ones. And they're too pop to scratch the alternative charts, yet too rock to scratch the country charts, so they're overplayed on the pop charts where they started out in the first place. They have this specific sound that can get so many people to hate them. I don't know if that marketing stupidity or some sort of art.

eversleep

Banned
Banned
Good Bye Lullaby gets too dreary near the end, but it's an improvement over the third album.
I love dreariness though. :D
I call bullshit on everyone that says they haven't heard from her in a while. The girl singing "AND THAT'S WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I SMILEEEEEEEEE" should have sounded familiar.
I love that song! <333

And lol, songs by any band can sound the same.

Cult

I don't want to live forever
Just because something is mainstream does not make it bad.

*facepalm* No dude, you have flawed logic. Just because we don't like a popular band doesn't mean we don't like all mainstream bands, were not hipsters. Besides, most of my favorite bands are mainstream like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, and Radiohead.

Ben

Banned
Banned

Smile wasn't a top 40 hit, so that's forgivable (it peaked at 68 ). What The Hell peaked at #11 though, and was first performed on Dick Clark a year ago.

eversleep

Banned
Banned
Smile wasn't a top 40 hit, so that's forgivable (it peaked at 68 ). What The Hell peaked at #11 though, and was first performed on Dick Clark a year ago.
Because the Billboard chart is everything.

There have been songs that never even charted on Billboard that I've heard on the radio, or TV, or other places. There are songs that were #1 on several of their charts that I never heard in my life. Those charts just show sales/download trends mostly, it seems.