• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Bad / Loud neighbors! Tell us your stories

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
i have lived in my current apartment for 8 years now. Lucky me, i'm on the top floor but that still means have to share two walls and a floor with neighbors. The hall/breezeway echoes and carries sound like a goddamn megaphone but at this point the running, screaming toddlers next door are the least of my problems. Lately, over the last 6-8 months, things have gotten progressively louder, screamier and thumpier from the literal hell beneath me. in total thus far i've had six different families/residents below me. Past neighbors have played loud music and movies, thrown parties and had a screaming match once or twice but my current neighbors are a real piece of work. They moved in about a year ago and have been getting worse and worse and worse.

Keep in mind: our walls are NOT thin. i've never heard so much a a squeak from my other adjacent neighbors through my kitchen wall or even the wall i sleep against in the bedroom. ALL of the noise i've ever had problems with have come from the hallway or beneath me. Thanks to the plumbing in both my bathrooms and kitchen, my roomie and i get a show with our meals (and shits) daily. Early morning, afternoon and late night, we get front row seats. Slamming doors and cupboards, stomping feet, (possibly) punching walls, yelling, screaming, crying, accusing, defending, denying, arguing and thumping around.

Most people watch soap operas on the TV. We get audio drama from the toilet and kitchen sink.

Whenever they get going at it, my roomie and i always mute the TV and listen in, waiting for that one fight; the kind that might require a phone call. We listen for signs of abuse and we (try to) identify the topics they fight about. On the plus side (sort of) the lady of the household seems to take it all like a champ and dishing it out. There doesn't seem to be any fists flying but if there were, i suspect it'd be hers. i can't ever tell who the aggressor is but we hardly ever hear a man's voice and we always hear the kids getting yelled at by mom. During the summer when the balcony doors were open, we've heard plenty of fights between kids. -As well as some of the teenage boys' bonding over girls.

Offtopic:
By the way, one of the younger boys (10-13 years i think) is a closet furry with the hots for Sonic girls, Pokemon and Zootopia... No joke. i was quietly watching TV one summer evening and overheard an awkward confession/discussion about their crushes. i quickly muted the TV and listened in, laughing internally with the biggest goddamn grin on my face. i flopped on my living room floor and eaves-dropped the whole thing! LOL

*AHEM* Anyway... On the topic of fights and potential abuse, we haven't made the move to call the police or child welfare, mostly because we don't have the whole picture. The mom could just be a loose cannon. Sometimes a scream can be from laughter. We often can't make out the words to the argument unless it's a louder exclamation. "HEY!", "STOP THAT!", "STOP LYiN TAH ME!!", "OH NO YOU Di'iNT!". The family has even had guests over and the yelling still happens, same as always. Some people are just naturally loud. Some people just don't know what an "inside voice" is. -And besides, if nothing is going on, if we report anything or raise the issue, the neighbors are going to know why tattled on them! We've already witnessed the wrath of the psycho mom when they first moved in! One night around 2am we kept getting knocks on our floor. Somebody else nearby was playing bassy music and the psycho thought it was US. My roomie was innocently playing Zelda on the couch with the WiiU tablet and headphones and i was quietly drawing in my room with soft jazz playing. After 20 minutes or so after repeated knocking on the floor/ceiling, she came upstairs and pounded on our door. My unsuspecting roomie answered the knock and i peeked down the hall to witness the exchange. The psycho lady started cursing and yelling at him about the bassy music before she even noticed our lights were off. i came out of the dark in my robe and PJs and she suddenly realized the noise wasn't from us at all. For all she knew, we were both asleep and were victims of the music ourselves. (We weren't fyi; we didn't hear a thing so we have no idea how she thought it was us) She flipped the quickest 180 and apologized up and down but...

...she brought a broom! She brought a fucking weapon! LOL

We don't know what to do -or if we should do anything- because of the possible backlash. We haven't been too inconvenienced or bothered by it but we can't help but feel sorry for the kids. We don't see them often enough to know if they're trouble and i've only ever seen the dad once or twice. We usually only hear the mom so we can't pin down whether there's shit going down or not. Our neighbor across the hall is the gossip queen of the complex too so we're in no position to ask our other neighbors about what they hear/know without being outed as the tattle-tails. All we can do is eaves-drop and wait for signs at this point but the frequency and volume of their fights isn't dropping. Even now with Christmas right around the corner (tomorrow) they're downstairs fussing it up right now. it doesn't sound very merry down there and somehow i doubt tomorrow is going to be any cheerier.

Do you guys have any advice or stories to share?

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
^ Wait, are you the person below me, that complains all the time? : P

Oddly, though I try to be quiet, and work in a library, I have got in trouble for loud music. I guess growing up in the country, I was used to it like that, and all close in, like in the city, has been a tough adjustment, much as I love music...and headphones, well...just don't quite do it for me. So I try and be as good as I can, but sheesh, would love to have a place where I could be as loud as I want, whenever I want.

One day...

Oddly, when the neighbors are loud, it's sort of a relief: it kinda takes the heat off me, in a way.

But fighting and such is hard to hear, I agree: I mean, it's difficult to be that close to that sort of emotional and physical violence, between two human beings, to me, it stirs up some very intense emotions.

quoting_mungo

Most of my neighbor noise concerns have involved pool parties. What is it about parties in the yard that make people forget all about things like, say, it being well after midnight?

1) People in the lot behind ours had a pool party. Turned the music up around 1 am. As a measure of how loud their music was, consider this: they were playing Barbie Girl loud enough my bedroom window (faces the wall between our lots) was rattling. They've had a couple more loud pool parties, but that one was the worst.

2) People in the lot cubby-corner to ours had a yard party that was still going at at least 2 am. There's... this genre of music here, that is, like country minus the cowboys and western. Meant for dancing to, and not the kind of dancing you do in a club. It's basically the complete opposite of cool music. They were playing that, stupid loud. I ended up going over, failing to get their attention, and finally catching some random person arriving and asking them to ask people to turn it down. As I recall to little effect.

3) People in the lot cubby-corner to ours had a pool party. Just a bunch of people drinking and yelling in the pool. But they were stupid loud and it was stupid late, so I went over, managed to catch their attention, and asked them to keep it down. This time, they did quiet down by the time I got back home, so, good on them.

4) Bonus: Twice I've been woken up at single-digit AM by the no-good dickhead that used to rent a room upstairs in my house (and his friends). And by woken up, I mean, sounds of yelling and fighting, and I'm not all that easily disturbed. Both times, I've stomped upstairs in my PJs/nightgown and made it very clear that this shit ends now and the culprit needs to leave. Good for them that they mostly complied; especially the first time I was on the verge of calling police on account of it sounding like someone getting beat up upstairs.

Yakamaru

Autumn Wolf
I am so fucking glad my neighbors moved out weeks ago. You have no idea how relieved I am that they did.

Kids running and screaming in the hallway just outside my apartment at 6-7 in the morning.
Running and screaming at 14-15 in the evening.
Parents doing all kinds of crap next door, like banging on the walls to put up some garbage pictures.
And the mother... Good god. The biggest moron I've ever seen. Kids completely trample her over. Biggest doormat I've ever seen in my entire life.
Father was a bit of a useless bum too. Kids listened to him, but not by much.

When you have parents that just won't tell their shitty kids "no", you often end up with spoiled little shits later in life. I am dumbfounded by these parents' unwillingness to discipline their kids properly.

I got my payback though.. :3

PlusThirtyOne

There's... this genre of music here, that is, like country minus the cowboys and western. Meant for dancing to, and not the kind of dancing you do in a club. It's basically the complete opposite of cool music.
My roomie is Cajun so i have an idea. Just visit a Popeye's Chicken and give their dining room music a listen. "Zatico" is like...deep deep deep deeeeeeeeep South party music. 'Cotton Eye Joe' also comes to mind. Me, i'd rather 'Barbie Girl'. 'Aquarium' was the soundtrack to my 1997 and i'm not too ashamed to admit it.
I got my payback though.. :3
Well? How?

Yakamaru

Autumn Wolf
Well? How?
Firing up my loud as fuck washing machine at 1-2 in the morning? Ah, the feeling of them having to listen to that shit because you're more of a night owl.. <3

Or knocking at their door after their shitty kids have left and ask them to keep it down or I am going to complain to the landlady.

Got more such small tidbits of revenge.

D

Deleted member 82554

I live in a house in a quiet neighborhood, it's great. The occasional ruckus, but nothing life altering.

quoting_mungo

My roomie is Cajun so i have an idea. Just visit a Popeye's Chicken and give their dining room music a listen. "Zatico" is like...deep deep deep deeeeeeeeep South party music. 'Cotton Eye Joe' also comes to mind. Me, i'd rather 'Barbie Girl'. 'Aquarium' was the soundtrack to my 1997 and i'm not too ashamed to admit it.
Nah, Cotton Eye Joe is still too country. This is the stuff I'm talking about.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
I can't say these were true neighbors, but they lived not too far away down our secluded road
in an circle of cheap homes. We would always hear them popping off shots with guns (illegally) and yelling (probably drunk). Worst of it was a bunch of guys in their early twenties, likely one who lives there and the rest friends, would hop in some Jeep and ride down our forested neighborhood in the middle of the night some 30 mph over the speed limit blaring music. There was one night that made it on local newspapers that they were pulling up to to the local icecream/food joint just to knock things out of people's hands, but that's when they got caught. Never saw them the rest of the time I lived there. Bunch of assholes, I can't imagine the parents put in any effort.

PlusThirtyOne

This is the stuff I'm talking about.
Reminds me of Mexican country music and not just because i have no idea what they're singing. The hispanic population in the small town i grew up in played A LOT of Mexican country music with the bass turned up to 11. it's slow, it's bassy, it's repetitive and the singing sounds like a slurry crying drunk. Even my friends who speak fluent Spanish can't understand it. i'm glad i don't live near any neighbors who play that shit because if i did, i'd promptly blow my brains out.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
I once had a neighboor who hoards alot and it attracted so much pests. I reported it to the tenant, the tenant told him off but nothing changed

www.google.co.jp: Google Maps

if you look at this google map you'll see his filth through the window
Sounds like my ex-wife. I filled multiple 8’x4’x20’ dumpsters with her trash after she moved out. Disgusting.

The best noisy neighbor story was upstairs neighbors back in 1998. They were married and her husband usually worked weekends. I could tell when the wife had her bf over b/c she would scream when they were having sex. When her husband was there & they were getting it on the bed would creak but she’d be as quiet as a corpse. One weekend her husband came home early. It sounded like World War 3 up there! I halfway expected to hear gunshots & bodies hitting the floor! But no, just lots of yelling & crashing as crap was being thrown around. They moved out shortly afterward & thankfully much quieter neighbors replaced them.

Last edited:
S

Sheppen

When i lived with my ex roommate, we were all trying to have a small party and they were having a loud one, the music was making our house vibrate, and they were throwing things everywhere and screaming and yelling.

Then the next day our friend parked next to our driveway (which was in between their drivway and ours) and they made their 14 year old sassy bitch daughter come to our door and tell my roommate off.

Like you guys just threw a loud ass party but our friends cant park where they arent even in your way? okay then.

V

Vitaly

In my first apartment I had a family of alcoholics who constantly shouted, turned furniture and someday they broke pipe and flooded all 6 floors from below including me. In my current apartment ALL neighbors have small children. But that’s not a problem, because there are hockey stadium and church, so children's crying is successfully interrupted by shout of fans and church bells.

J

Junkerfox

I had to put up with a whole family of jackasses on the other side of the woods who'd be duking it out almost everyday in the summer in their yard. Theyd beat up and holler at eachother all the time. Now and then Id yell back at them telling them to shut the fuck up. They finally moved and the new folks are loud too.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Okami_No_Heishi

When we lived with my mother in law for awhile, some young African folks moved in next door. In a matter of weeks I had to call the police 3 times. Once for the loud halloween party at 1 am. On a Tuesday. We all work, so yeah. Watched them scatter like roaches when the cops showed up. Once for them fighting at 3 am. On a work/school night. Then once when they were shooting pellet guns all over the place in the back yard sending ricochets all over the place, including the side of our house. I went that time to tell them to stop, and the 20 something mom of four went all hoodrat on me and started running her mouth. I just stopped speaking, gave her the hand, and called the police. They had a nice long conversation with her and her young teenage wannabe thug boyfriend. The other two times the loud music thing happened, one time coming from the house, once from a car parked in the drive, I just marched over there and told them to turn down the fuckin music! They were a wild bunch over there. So glad we moved out of the hood.

PlusThirtyOne

The best noisy neighbor story was upstairs neighbors back in 1998.
Oh gaaaawd, i completely forgot until now!
One of my friends hosted LAN parties (back when LAN parties were still a thing ya did) frequently and we were always the quietest party you could imagine. There may have been 20 of us but we all wore headphones and spoke softly. One of the neighbors called the cops on us due to somebody else making noise and screaming and playing loud music. (which we weren't, obviously) Two local cops showed up and knocked on the door. We had no idea there was even a problem because we were all wearing headphones. My friend answered the door thinking someone ordered pizza and the cops asked to come inside. We let them in to see (hear) how quiet we were. Those who knew the cops arrived were confused. Everybody else was still in their games.

Just a bunch of nerds quietly playing WoW, Unreal Tourni and Counter Strike. No music. No screaming. Just the occasional laugh and exchange of crude jokes.

The cop says, "if your party isn't making noise, then who is?", and just then...

THUMP THUMP THUMP!! Two stories up, the neighbors upstairs were going at it like rabbits! The woman, who sounded like she was at the window, was howling and moaning so goddamn loud it was like she was fucking the very night itself. They had their balcony door and windows open so the sound was echoing off the adjacent buildings. As SOON as we all noticed (at the door, nobody inside could hear) Darude's Sandstorm started playing at full blast. No joke! The idiots thought they could disguise their fuck-song with loud techno.

The cops apologized, asked us if we were drinking or doing drugs. My friend laughed and chimed in, "No, but they might!". Just like the end of a Scooby-Doo episode, i laughed, my friend laughed, the cops laughed...and the stupid 'gasming lady upstairs who heard us laughed ALSO! The music quickly went off and the cops begrudgingly went upstairs.

We didn't hear another peep that whole night. -Again, as if we COULD have. Yanno... nerds with headphones and all that. Shortly after the cops had left, those of us who were at the door told everybody else what'd just happened and nooooobody believed us. They were so into their games that they didn't even notice we had police in the livingroom.

Last edited:

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Oh gaaaawd, i completely forgot until now!
One of my friends hosted LAN parties (back when LAN parties were still a thing ya did) frequently and we were always the quietest party you could imagine. There may have been 20 of us but we all wore headphones and spoke softly. One of the neighbors called the cops on us due to somebody else making noise and screaming and playing loud music. (which we weren't, obviously) Two local cops showed up and knocked on the door. We had no idea there was even a problem because we were all wearing headphones. My friend answered the door thinking someone ordered pizza and the cops asked to come inside. We let them in to see (hear) how quiet we were. Those who knew the cops arrived were confused. Everybody else was still in their games.

Just a bunch of nerds quietly playing WoW, Unreal Tourni and Counter Strike. No music. No screaming. Just the occasional laugh and exchange of crude jokes.

The cop says, "if your party isn't making noise, then who is?", and just then...

THUMP THUMP THUMP!! Two stories up, the neighbors upstairs were going at it like rabbits! The woman, who sounded like she was at the window, was howling and moaning so goddamn loud it was like she was fucking the very night itself. They had their calcony door and windows open so the sound was echoing off the adjacent buildings. As SOON as we all noticed (at the door, nobody inside could hear) Darude's Sandstorm started playing at full blast. No joke! The idiots thought they could disguise their fuck-song with loud techno.

The cops apologized, asked us if we were drinking or doing drugs. My friend laughed and chimed in, "No, but they might!". Just like the end of a Scooby-Doo episode, i laughed, my friend laughed, the cops laughed...and the stupid 'gasming lady upstairs who heard us laughed ALSO! The music quickly went off and the cops begrudgingly went upstairs.

We didn't hear another peep that whole night. -Again, as if we COULD have. Yanno... nerds with headphones and all that. Shortly after the cops had left, those of us who were at the door told everybody else what'd just happened and nooooobody believed us. They were so into their games that they didn't even notice we had police in the livingroom.
*Lol* Your story wins IMO

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
Not a neighbor, but a few years back I truly believe I had the displeasure of living with the worst roommate ever.

You know the stereotype about obnoxiously loud and offensive gamer boys?
Yeah. This guy was the embodiment of that.
Only worse.

He always seemed to wait until the absolute worst times to make noise.
Let me tell you, it's really difficult to do anything productive when you're constantly listening to a stream of full-volume hate speech.

The same dude also ate baby food, and became convinced I was demonically possessed before basically kicking me out, but that's a different story.

O

Okami_No_Heishi

Not a neighbor, but a few years back I truly believe I had the displeasure of living with the worst roommate ever.

You know the stereotype about obnoxiously loud and offensive gamer boys?
Yeah. This guy was the embodiment of that.
Only worse.

He always seemed to wait until the absolute worst times to make noise.
Let me tell you, it's really difficult to do anything productive when you're constantly listening to a stream of full-volume hate speech.

The same dude also ate baby food, and became convinced I was demonically possessed before basically kicking me out, but that's a different story.
Sounds like a real charmer! I had one roommate. Once! 6 weeks! Had to kick him out. He smoked good bud but he smelled bad, didn't believe in soap and shampoo, just natural shit. God he stank so bad! We wont discuss his foot fungus.

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
Sounds like a real charmer! I had one roommate. Once! 6 weeks! Had to kick him out. He smoked good bud but he smelled bad, didn't believe in soap and shampoo, just natural shit. God he stank so bad! We wont discuss his foot fungus.

Ugh, mine too.
You know, I was neutral towards weed before I lived with him, but when it starts to be the only thing you smell in your house every day, you quickly grow to hate it.

Parafrosyni

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
I don't have a neighbor, but another roomate story to add to the mix.
When I lived in Iowa, I had tweaker roomates (who were supposedly staying with us until they got back on their feet). I'm 99% sure they tried to cook meth in out basement (which we found out after they moved), and they also thought it would be a genius ides to bring in a "free mattress" and our house became basically infested with bed bugs.

Currently, one of my roomates is pretty cool when sober, but is really annoying and complains about everything when he's drunk (and he's drunk about 4 days a week, basically the days he's not working)

Rant

Haters Gonna Hate
When we lived in a larger apartment building my mate stopped a nighbor from killing his girlfriend. He woke up to her screaming and went to their apartment and banged on the door while calling the cops. Dude let go of the girls neck and hid in the bathroom.

She's alive and thanked my mate. Her life is a lot better now