• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

banning reason in public view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlerock

numb with cold
Let's be honest here, when you see a banned user, you're curious as to why they're no longer permitted to wander the cluttered, sticky corridors that make up FA and FAF. If you knew them, maybe you can be arsed to search through countless posts, journals, comments, and all the shiste that they may have gotten in trouble for. Or did they just suddenly quit of their own accord? One wonders sometimes, when there is no commotion and suddenly a regular disappears behind red, struck-out text.

Why not a tidy little tag next to their name, next to "Banned"? A note on their user-page denoting such? Or even a log of banned users that lists time and reason for banning. It doesn't even call for a lengthy explanation, just simple tags, like "requested ban", or "unauthorized alternate account", or "troll account". It could probably appear as a drop-down box when banning a user, so it could be set in with the ban in one fell swoop.

That being said, perhaps it would be nice having a 'on hiatus' setting to set users as, instead of a requested ban?

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I'm going to say no because in the past more popular users with public bannings generating large drama-storms with users arguing over the ban.

Fay V

Lost to this world
We do not discuss or reveal the reason behind bans. We do not discuss or reveal warnings or infractions.
This is a breach of the users privacy. A User is entitled to the right of not having their actions spread around the site for public curiosity. Making the reasons public will only lead to drama or mocking the person elsewhere.
If one is curious about the reason behind a ban they will have to ask the user personally and allow the user to decide what personal info is spread around.

If you don't know the person well enough to ask, well, that sort of answers why we don't spread it around in public.

So the staff will not now, nor ever give away information regarding disciplinary action.

Littlerock

numb with cold
We do not discuss or reveal the reason behind bans. We do not discuss or reveal warnings or infractions.
This is a breach of the users privacy. A User is entitled to the right of not having their actions spread around the site for public curiosity. Making the reasons public will only lead to drama or mocking the person elsewhere.
If one is curious about the reason behind a ban they will have to ask the user personally and allow the user to decide what personal info is spread around.

If you don't know the person well enough to ask, well, that sort of answers why we don't spread it around in public.

So the staff will not now, nor ever give away information regarding disciplinary action.
See, I just don't get why. It's a public forum/public site, and if a user takes it upon themselves to cause trouble in public, the reason is pretty hard to hide as is. Just like having a criminal record, only on the internet :V And I have seen posts that were 'warnings', very obviously not private at all.

Yeah, I can see the 'avoiding letting someone stalk and harass the user to another site', but that seems like the blame would fall on the stalker's part, as they have lowered themselves to the apparent 'criminal''s standards, and should be dealt with accordingly on the site that they have followed a user to. Even then, the banned user in question has brought it upon themselves, and blocking a mocking user is not at all difficult. I can also understand a hiatus ban being left, shall we say, untagged, according to the user's personal wish, since it is not a 'punishment' ban

But I honestly think that if a user has gone against the ToS in their actions, they've given up their right to keep it a secret as to why, within reason. Obviously, with popular users, a slanderous tag would ensue a shitstorm, but doesn't that usually happen on it's own anyway?

It just got me wondering is all, I hope that made sense.

Fay V

Lost to this world
It's not always obvious. We infract for Private messages and page notes as well. You might hunt around and never see what the person has done. Generally when warnings are given in thread it's something that more than one person did, so it's less private, but those warnings don't factor into ban time in the way that infractions and points do (which are always private)
Frankly people fuck up, and I would rather this be a place where one can keep some shred of privacy if they want it. Maybe in the future they decide not to be a douchebag, they can still have that chance. The question is, do other users really need to know? What changes when you know the reason? curiosity is filled. That's about it really. There's no reason to open it up for the public because it isn't anyone else's business, and there is positively no benefit to knowing why someone was banned.
Heck the only benefit for other users is more fuel to argue against a ban, but the thing is it's a small bit of knowledge. Users can never know the full story so in the end it just fuels misinformation.

Corto

For, uh, like, harassing messages that the recipient reports, you mean?

Of course. No one, not even admins, can see private messages. Only the sender and the receiver. But they can be reported just like regular posts (and I guess the same goes for notes on the main site), This way we infract people that harass through PMs, for example.

That being said, perhaps it would be nice having a 'on hiatus' setting to set users as, instead of a requested ban?​

You mean like those times people ask to be banned because they're bored with the site/forum? That's unnecessary. There's this little thing called the "log out" button, and another one called "not visiting the site if you don't want to". The only special "on hiatus" status needed is the senior status for staff, since being on prolongued leaves means they aren't acting on their duties.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Banning a user is between the user that has been banned and the moderator(s) that banned him/her. It is not of the business of the userbase to know this information. Public bans can also lead to witch hunts of users that were banned for malicious reasons. It's an idea, especially if a user skewed his story to make him out to be a martyr and the administration to be vile monsters, but private matters should be private.

And to also note: if you were banned and trying to contest it, publicly revealing it is also not a good idea.

As for criminal records on the internet, most issues that result in an ED article of sorts is due to people leaving private matters lying about in public forums, journals, or leaks that (unintentionally or intentionally) happen from time to time.

I think the site discussed this before. Public ban lists are not a good idea.

Z

Zetikla

Lot of people wouldnt agree on this because:
1. They might not want to share the reason of the ban with others
2. Its not something that shall be showed publicly as some kind of "attraction"

Status
Not open for further replies.