• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Battlefield 3

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Huh. That's actually really surprising, mostly because I never noticed it. I guess I've shot a few people with pistols at point blank to little effect in CoD4, but in CoD2 I was pretty sure it was a 1-shot. Then again my favorite severs in CoD2 were always the all-bolt ones, so there's that.

I've wasted so much time trying to get headshots on people. This is sad.

Most of the time you kill someone with a single shot without a rifle of some sort it's usually because they were hurt before hand, with some guns even the 10 damage they take from jumping off something tall is enough to just let the multiplier kill them. As for it being a waste of time trying to get head shots, eh, with some guns yah it is, particularly at point blank range. But at anything other than knife range even though it takes 2 shots it's still best to try and slot one in the brain-pan, you'll be able to kill em that much quicker. :p It's just always been an amazing annoyance to me that it takes 2 head shots to kill someone, my initiation into competitive gaming was Unreal and I learned to love hearing HEADSHOT! with almost every click of the mouse. So it was always a bit jarring for me to put a shot in someone's dome in MW and not kill them instantly, even more so if they killed me instead since for the longest time I had a habit of just firing 1-2 shots to kill then moving onto the next target. X3

Commiecomrade

Maximum Awesome.
On the damage thing: more damage please. BF3 is more about strategy, tactics, and squad maneuvers. I like stuff like UT3, but sometimes you should be rewarded for being the first to fire, not the most consistent.

EDIT: Oh, and big maps. I'm very happy they said "Some of the biggest maps ever" or whatever. I really hope they make it squad based since I love playing with my friends in a coherent squad. That kind of stuff was very easy to do in BF2, especially with Project Reality.

Last edited:

Term_the_Schmuck

Most Interesting Man on FAF
On the damage thing: more damage please. BF3 is more about strategy, tactics, and squad maneuvers. I like stuff like UT3, but sometimes you should be rewarded for being the first to fire, not the most consistent.

So far as I've seen, a lot of the guns have decent damage, with shotguns in particular being devastating from a good deal of distance, even moreso if you're using 12G Slugs.

Sniper rifles, in particular the semi-auto ones, are being nerfed for balance issues. I don't have much of a problem with that, especially given I'm a bolt-action guy and headshots aren't that difficult to come by.

Commiecomrade

Maximum Awesome.
So far as I've seen, a lot of the guns have decent damage, with shotguns in particular being devastating from a good deal of distance, even moreso if you're using 12G Slugs.

Sniper rifles, in particular the semi-auto ones, are being nerfed for balance issues. I don't have much of a problem with that, especially given I'm a bolt-action guy and headshots aren't that difficult to come by.

Very good news. I knew it was a bit of a gamebreaker, but the longer range one-shot-kill shotguns from the the BC2 days were very fun to use. I am rarely a sniper, so the nerfing of rifles will be great balancing. 2 shots should be good though. If I get shot once and die, that just sucks. If I get shot twice, I've been caught in an area where I was at a clear disadvantage from a sniper, and therefore should die.

Term_the_Schmuck

Very good news. I knew it was a bit of a gamebreaker, but the longer range one-shot-kill shotguns from the the BC2 days were very fun to use. I am rarely a sniper, so the nerfing of rifles will be great balancing. 2 shots should be good though. If I get shot once and die, that just sucks. If I get shot twice, I've been caught in an area where I was at a clear disadvantage from a sniper, and therefore should die.

Kind of the way I felt about it. I mean guys who know how to use the bolt-action rifles and lead their shots can and will drop you in one shot. But that's just the direct result mostly of just running out in the open field like a chicken with it's head cut off. You might be able to get away with it in MW or Black Ops, but with as many recon junkies there are in the Battlefield games, this just won't fly. But as I said, the semi-autos are nerfed so it takes 2-3 shots to bring someone down.

Shotties are balanced in their own way given their limited barrels and long reload times. Even with extended mags, you only carry seven shots (one in the chamber, 6 in the barrel). You can still drop a dude mid-range with one buckshot shell, but it's almost a given every time you fire a slug from medium and decreases from there.

EDIT: I just wish the 12G Frags and Flecettes were actually useful.

Last edited:

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Personally I feel a single 7.62 or 5.56 or anything else really within a reasonable range envelope should kill instantly with shots to the head, neck, spine or heart. Because of this I tend to hate "normal" mode in most games; and while hardcore are often better often only taking 2-3 shots to the body to kill, it's still not quite where I'd like.

Term_the_Schmuck

Personally I feel a single 7.62 or 5.56 or anything else really within a reasonable range envelope should kill instantly with shots to the head, neck, spine or heart. Because of this I tend to hate "normal" mode in most games; and while hardcore are often better often only taking 2-3 shots to the body to kill, it's still not quite where I'd like.

I gotta say BF3 gets pretty close to it.

I don't know if it's a balancing thing because the guns move and sway much more with just carrying them and recoil more than MW or Black Ops which were like you were holding a laser rifle when you unloaded. You'll fire about a quarter to a half a clip on full auto and it'll normally bring down someone quickly. I think next time I get my hands on it when it comes out, I'll switch some of the guns to semi-auto and see how long it takes to bring someone down. I don't think headshots are anything but insta-kills.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen

Which game is this? In Cod4, like I said, one toe shot from an M4A1 is an instakill at point blank on hardcore mode. With the magical dust coating that apparently makes the same round coming out of an M16A4 somehow better, that becomes an instakill at any range.

INTERESTING FACT: In real life an M21 is just an M14 with a scope and higher quality ammunition. MFW I used "overkill" to directly compare an ACOG M21 with an ACOG M14.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
I gotta say BF3 gets pretty close to it.

I don't know if it's a balancing thing because the guns move and sway much more with just carrying them and recoil more than MW or Black Ops which were like you were holding a laser rifle when you unloaded. You'll fire about a quarter to a half a clip on full auto and it'll normally bring down someone quickly. I think next time I get my hands on it when it comes out, I'll switch some of the guns to semi-auto and see how long it takes to bring someone down. I don't think headshots are anything but insta-kills.

Never got to check out hardcore mode in the BF3 beta, but if it's close to BF BC body shots should be alright and with head shots improving with most assault rifles killing instantly and only pistol caliber weapons taking more than one shot to the noggin. As for shooting sem-auto, I always shoot single shot with anything but LMGs and SMGs.

Which game is this? In Cod4, like I said, one toe shot from an M4A1 is an instakill at point blank on hardcore mode. With the magical dust coating that apparently makes the same round coming out of an M16A4 somehow better, that becomes an instakill at any range.

INTERESTING FACT: In real life an M21 is just an M14 with a scope and higher quality ammunition. MFW I used "overkill" to directly compare an ACOG M21 with an ACOG M14.

That's because the M4 in MW has always fired bullshit, not bullets. -_- As for damage in Hardcore in MW, it doesn't matter at all where you're hit, damage is location based only in that you have Body, arms, legs and head in normal mode and in hardcore you only have Body and Head and most guns do enough damage to kill instantly since a shot to the foot registers as a "body shot" and thus does the same damage as a shot through the spine or heart. -_-

Term_the_Schmuck

Never got to check out hardcore mode in the BF3 beta, but if it's close to BF BC body shots should be alright and with head shots improving with most assault rifles killing instantly and only pistol caliber weapons taking more than one shot to the noggin. As for shooting sem-auto, I always shoot single shot with anything but LMGs and SMGs.

They didn't have a hardcore mode in the Beta. It was nothing but Rush Mode, while some people who were lucky enough to be given passcodes on the PC got to try out Conquest. So you didn't really miss out on anything.

BearlyBen

I was having driver problems with the beta, but I managed to get in one night of the Beta and I had a $@^#$^ blast!

If you guys don't mind, would you check out a video I made compiling my highlights? If anything a couple scenes will give you a chuckle :p

I can't get enough of how the nades cause trees to shake and rustle from the resulting shock. Little nuances like that really sell to me.

[video=youtube;Vwy-iAJFZm8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwy-iAJFZm8[/video]

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
They didn't have a hardcore mode in the Beta. It was nothing but Rush Mode, while some people who were lucky enough to be given passcodes on the PC got to try out Conquest. So you didn't really miss out on anything.

That's what I meant by not being able to try hardcore in the beta. X3 And I know about the Caspian Border map, I've done the beta on consoles and PC.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Not surprised in the least. And people wonder why alot of devs are starting to steer away from PC.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
It's hardly a PC problem, 360 and Wii get hammered over this as well. They just whine about PC piracy since they make less from it in the first place. Torrents for Arkham City for the 360 have been up since the 13th.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
The difference is pirating console games means one needs a modded console 99% of the time and can almost never play multiplayer. Pirating on the PC however, is a free for all, no mods are needed, private servers are numerous, and there's basically no effort required on the part of the pirate to play the game. For every 1 time a console game is pirated I would expect a PC game, particularly one like BF3 is downloaded illegally 200-300 times at least.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
I was having driver problems with the beta, but I managed to get in one night of the Beta and I had a $@^#$^ blast!

If you guys don't mind, would you check out a video I made compiling my highlights? If anything a couple scenes will give you a chuckle :p

I can't get enough of how the nades cause trees to shake and rustle from the resulting shock. Little nuances like that really sell to me.

[video=youtube;Vwy-iAJFZm8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwy-iAJFZm8[/video]

Whatever you keep deploying is hilariously huge. It's like something Wiley Coyote might bring to fight the Russians.

"Oh here one sec. Lemme pull this gigantic crate out of a pocket I don't have." :v

Last edited:

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Whatever you keep deploying is hilariously huge. It's like something Wiley Coyote might bring to fight the Russians.

"Oh here one sec. Lemme pull this gigantic crate out of a pocket I don't have." :v

In the near future... Hammerspace, is REAL! 8D

BearlyBen

Haha, I just need to slap an "ACME" sign to it and start chasing after an imaginary Roadrunner :p

I literally can't wait for this game. I've watched my own video countless times waiting for the 25th to come out >_<

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
It was nothing but Rush Mode, while some people who were lucky enough to be given passcodes on the PC got to try out Conquest. So you didn't really miss out on anything.
Also about that, they had dozens and dozens and dozens of public Caspian Border servers for PC for like the last... 4-5 days of the beta.