• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

BattleTech Thread

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
Quite a few furries are into BattleTech I've found, and since I've been, rather obsessed with Mechwarrior Online as of late, I felt now would be a great time to open up a thread for all things BattleTech, art, Tabtletop games, videya games, so on.

Speaking of video games, there is the most excellent Mecharrior Online, that I just can't seem to quit. The recent Turnbased Strategy game by Hairbrained schemes, named BattleTech, and the slightly less recent Mechwarrior 5 mercenaries, which is good, though the mods take it from good to amazing!

Do, turn off your ecm and stealth armor, and share in the love of giant lumbering robos with me, as long as you're not a clanner. Kidding. Mostly :p

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Hawken?

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
Die, clanner! :V

M

ManicTherapsid

I have a ton of Battletech stuff. got at least 40 of the novels and a dozen or so sourcebooks/rulebooks. Also got a bunch of minis from the kickstarters and from Iron Winds Metals I have yet to assemble/paint. Building a small merc unit, a Snow Raven and a Taurian Concordat unit.

For PC, I've played HBS Battletech, MegaMek and a bit of Mechwarrior 5. Also got Mechwarrior 3 running so-so on Windows 10. I haven't played MWO in a couple years.

BTW, have you seen the TV show from the early 90's? It's on youtube. It managed to be somewhat faithful to the books even without having Comstar, the Kell Hounds, or Wolf's Dragoons as part of the series.

I had almost all of the tabletop games back in high school with a bunch of novels, and tech books. Painted a bunch of the lead figures. Pretty sure I don't have them anymore.

I remember finishing Crescent Hawks Inception and Revenge, and the original DOS Mechwarrior up to Mechwarrior 3 on PC. Mech Commander was also good.

I saw the cartoon series...that was...a good attempt.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Only BattleTech thing I had growing up was MechWarrior 3. Amazing game honestly.

I also got a chance, the one time I was in Canada (this was back when Phantom of the Opera was still showing in Toronto, for time reference), to play in a BattleTech Center. My family, my grandmother, and two local Canadians, all in Thor mechs for 7 minutes. Crazy times. Apparently my brother and mother spent the whole time in a standoff.

I think there are only two of those centers still around.

KimberVaile

I have a ton of Battletech stuff. got at least 40 of the novels and a dozen or so sourcebooks/rulebooks. Also got a bunch of minis from the kickstarters and from Iron Winds Metals I have yet to assemble/paint. Building a small merc unit, a Snow Raven and a Taurian Concordat unit.

For PC, I've played HBS Battletech, MegaMek and a bit of Mechwarrior 5. Also got Mechwarrior 3 running so-so on Windows 10. I haven't played MWO in a couple years.

BTW, have you seen the TV show from the early 90's? It's on youtube. It managed to be somewhat faithful to the books even without having Comstar, the Kell Hounds, or Wolf's Dragoons as part of the series.

Good stuff! I actually started with the video games, MechAssualt to be exact, probably the worst game of the bunch. I eventually found MWO though, which is when my love of the franchise really blossomed. I've yet to play the Tabletops but it is something I'd like to try at least once or twice. It's unfortunate the series as a whole took a backseat for a few years, but I'm glad now that it's finally picking back up again. I've been meaning to play some of the older titles too, I had mostly played the newer ones. MW5 and MWO to be precise. To give credit to PGI though, MWO and MW5 have great core gameplay, it's just the things surrounding the core that seems to need a little polish.

I've only seen a few clips actually, heh. I saw a little bit of the show as a kid, and a little bit as an adult, super cheesy, but I do remember asking my mom to by me a bunch of the battletech toys when I was a young un. So I guess technically I was into it since I was a kid!

The show's reception just reminds me how starved BT is these days. There are plenty of good novels ofc, but my hope is that BT can re surge and we can get a breadth of new lore and content exploration. The series is ripe for exploration, maybe a more mature animated movie about Kerensky's exodus from the Inner Sphere or the formation of the clans. There are alot of these big pivotal moments that deserve proper exploration.

KimberVaile

I had almost all of the tabletop games back in high school with a bunch of novels, and tech books. Painted a bunch of the lead figures. Pretty sure I don't have them anymore.

I remember finishing Crescent Hawks Inception and Revenge, and the original DOS Mechwarrior up to Mechwarrior 3 on PC. Mech Commander was also good.

I saw the cartoon series...that was...a good attempt.
Ah, I do remember Mech Commander! I played a bit of that and really enjoyed the concept, it reminds me of the more recent turn based game "Battletech' by harebrained schemes. . Mechwarrior is such a unique series, and it spawned such unique games. I think it's a shame the series is only just starting to be noticed again. Regardless, I guess I can still be happy it's picking up again. I guess I'm just glad to hear there are so many passionate fans out there as well.

KimberVaile

Only BattleTech thing I had growing up was MechWarrior 3. Amazing game honestly.

I also got a chance, the one time I was in Canada (this was back when Phantom of the Opera was still showing in Toronto, for time reference), to play in a BattleTech Center. My family, my grandmother, and two local Canadians, all in Thor mechs for 7 minutes. Crazy times. Apparently my brother and mother spent the whole time in a standoff.

I think there are only two of those centers still around.
Mechwarrior 3 is one I need to try for myself, everybody does seem to love it though. The Battletech center is an interesting piece of history, back in the day it was the cutting edge of technology apparently. I'd love to try one of those Battlech pods myself. I don't think it's very feasible though.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Quite a few furries are into BattleTech I've found, and since I've been, rather obsessed with Mechwarrior Online as of late, I felt now would be a great time to open up a thread for all things BattleTech, art, Tabtletop games, videya games, so on.

Speaking of video games, there is the most excellent Mecharrior Online, that I just can't seem to quit. The recent Turnbased Strategy game by Hairbrained schemes, named BattleTech, and the slightly less recent Mechwarrior 5 mercenaries, which is good, though the mods take it from good to amazing!

Do, turn off your ecm and stealth armor, and share in the love of giant lumbering robos with me, as long as you're not a clanner. Kidding. Mostly :p

I'm a huge fan of Battletech/Mechwarrior! I only had the pleasure of playing tabletop a dozen or so times, but I play the electronic versions and my favourite is the STEAM one "battletech" with the DLC packs "heavy metal and "urban warfare". Great translation of the tabletop to game, with all the stats, advantages, turn-based feel, etc. What I enjoy is the detail they include on stats, position of attack, what specifically you hit and what's attached, etc. It's the details that make it feel real.

From a POV...er...POV, I like the Mechwarrior 5:Mercenaries game...really makes you feel like you're in the cockpit!

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
I haven't been much into battletech recently but it's still a plays a big part in my interests, and I do occasionally like drawing some of the mech designs. MWO just kinda got stale for me after sinking so many hours into it and the game gradually reducing in new content and player base due to PGI's constant neglect. It was fun though, I was known for making a lot of mech configurations that were just PURE cheese and hella annoying that people would deliberately target me when they saw me. I even made it into some people's videos, good times.

Mechwarrior 5 I put some time into but it didn't meet my expectations. Nothing particularly new was done with that game that isn't already in the previous titles gameplay wise. I was really hoping for knock-over mechanics, melee, and combined arms combat, but it ended up feeling like a modern rehash of everything already done in the series for me.

I think what keeps me with battletech is there is so much to it that you don't really need to play the games to be a fan of battletech, there is like, a dozen bibles worth of lore in that universe to feast your imagination on.

Last edited:

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Mechwarrior 5 I put some time into but it didn't meet my expectations. Nothing particularly new was done with that game that isn't already in the previous titles gameplay wise. I was really hoping for knock-over mechanics, melee, and combined arms combat, but it ended up feeling like a modern rehash of everything already done in the series for me.

I think what keeps me with battletech is it there is so much to it that you don't really need to play the games to be a fan of battletech, there is like, a dozen bibles worth of lore in that universe to feast your imagination on.

Admittedly THAT I agree with, I was shocked when I saw there was no melee attack options! Still liked the feel of the mech and the weapons, but when the weapons ran out or got too hot and you can't even attack with your fists/legs, felt like a major part missing. Like a car without a hood...runs fine but feels off. Or blowing apart a leg just slows it and doesn't drop it? Still though, I enjoy tramping around a battle firing off lasers and PPC's like madman still. <giggle>

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
Admittedly THAT I agree with, I was shocked when I saw there was no melee attack options! Still liked the feel of the mech and the weapons, but when the weapons ran out or got too hot and you can't even attack with your fists/legs, felt like a major part missing. Like a car without a hood...runs fine but feels off. Or blowing apart a leg just slows it and doesn't drop it? Still though, I enjoy tramping around a battle firing off lasers and PPC's like madman still. <giggle>
Oh yeah it is more immersive than it has ever been, and the legs not getting blown off is simply for better gameplay, as it was especially a huge issue in mechwarrior 3 where you could just incapacitate all of your enemies by alpha striking their leg and blowing it to bits. By mechwarrior 4 they added a limping mechanic instead. I think a better solution might just be add a lot more structure points before the leg gets blown off, but have a threshold of damage before that where the leg stops working.

KimberVaile

I'm a huge fan of Battletech/Mechwarrior! I only had the pleasure of playing tabletop a dozen or so times, but I play the electronic versions and my favourite is the STEAM one "battletech" with the DLC packs "heavy metal and "urban warfare". Great translation of the tabletop to game, with all the stats, advantages, turn-based feel, etc. What I enjoy is the detail they include on stats, position of attack, what specifically you hit and what's attached, etc. It's the details that make it feel real.

From a POV...er...POV, I like the Mechwarrior 5:Mercenaries game...really makes you feel like you're in the cockpit!
The recent battletech title is quite solid, agree, very replayable too. I think if I had any complaint, it's that this came out so late. Both Mwo5 and Battletech really. It was 13 years after Mechwarrior Mecanaries released that MWO came onto the scene and if you count mainline Mechwarrior games. 17 years between Mechwarrior 4 and 5. For a game series that has more depth in it's pinkie finger than any modern FPS, this sort of fate is, rather tragic. Granted, I started with Mechwarrior online, but playing that game was genuinely refreshing to me. Tank controls, which fit with the idea of piloting a mech, advanced tactics like torso twisting, separate hp pools for different parts of the mech, weapon mount locations, hardpoints, engine sizes, equipment variation, weapon variation. It hands you a lot of options, all with their own advantages and disadvantages. It's hard not to appreciate how different and deep the game mechanics are. I think it also helps that the lore is pretty deep if you do a little digging. It's hard not to appreciate the story of how the clans came to be, and their subsequent reintroduction and loss to a literal space telephone company. Lol

I could gush for a while, but I've gone on enough.
tl;dr I hope to see more Battltech content in the near future. It's a wonderful series.

KimberVaile

I haven't been much into battletech recently but it's still a plays a big part in my interests, and I do occasionally like drawing some of the mech designs. MWO just kinda got stale for me after sinking so many hours into it and the game gradually reducing in new content and player base due to PGI's constant neglect. It was fun though, I was known for making a lot of mech configurations that were just PURE cheese and hella annoying that people would deliberately target me when they saw me. I even made it into some people's videos, good times.

I think what keeps me with battletech is there is so much to it that you don't really need to play the games to be a fan of battletech, there is like, a dozen bibles worth of lore in that universe to feast your imagination on.
I had to take a years long break from MWO, but I eventually decided to poke back in, after some time away and seeing some of the changes, it was nice to dip back in, some of the changes were interesting enough for me to stay around for a bit.

Some of the choices made by MW5 do rather upset me, but some of the mods available add enough to the game that I ended up sinking a good deal of time into it. I tend to agree about the lore too, with how many novels and books on the subject, it's easy to just read up on the lore and enjoy yourself. It's a very enjoyable universe I think. I hope in time more people will come to it and come away with the same thoughts, ideally.

KimberVaile

I had to take a years long break from MWO, but I eventually decided to poke back in, after some time away and seeing some of the changes, it was nice to dip back in, some of the changes were interesting enough for me to stay around for a bit.

Some of the choices made by MW5 do rather upset me, but some of the mods available add enough to the game that I ended up sinking a good deal of time into it. I tend to agree about the lore too, with how many novels and books on the subject, it's easy to just read up on the lore and enjoy yourself. It's a very enjoyable universe I think. I hope in time more people will come to it and come away with the same thoughts, ideally.

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
I've been getting a little bit deeper into the BattleTech setting for the last few years, originally with MWO but I have branched out to other media over time as well, having played the BattleTech TBS and reading a few of the novels. I managed to get my hands on Decision of Thunder Rift, which was an entertaining read and an old copy of Wolves on the Border, which was a truely epic read. I'm hoping to get back into the books again, and I keep meaning to try the BattleTech video game again but my computer struggles to run it now for some reason. Probably after that attempt at modding the game a while back.

I basically turned away from MWO a while back though, as the game just started getting overly repitive with no real strategy beyond 'push the enemy and don't get shot in the back', even though I loved the MechLab there as well. I'm just waiting for MW5 to release proper on Steam and then I can start playing that. I was going ahead with a pre-order first, but then the transfer to Epic happeed and the rest is history.

Hopefully we'll get some more BattleTech stuff in the future.

Oh, and by the way.

Wolf-In-Exile Clan Speak: Oi you spherioids! We helped save your backsides during the Invasion!

M

ManicTherapsid

Wolves on the Border was my favorite. Really hope they do a reprint of it soon
Since my copy is from the early 90s and in rough shape.

Also, Just finished Hour of the Wolf, can't wait to see what happens in the new IlClan era since the Dark Age was kind of a mess.

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
Wolves on the Border was my favorite. Really hope they do a reprint of it soon
Since my copy is from the early 90s and in rough shape.

Also, Just finished Hour of the Wolf, can't wait to see what happens in the new IlClan era since the Dark Age was kind of a mess.

It would definitely be interesting to see what happens with that. Especially given the apparent new jump forward to the 3200s according to Sarna.

M

ManicTherapsid

I think it's up to 3150 now.

The Republic and Falcons have been defeated, but Alaric still has the rest of the Inner Sphere and Clans to deal with. I'm thinking his next move might be to move in to the Lyran Commonwealth and claim the throne.

A couple things I'd like to see, although they're far off.

- Second Reunification War: Possibly a Taurian and Raven Alliance led Periphery coalition against the new SLDF.
- Return of Clan Wolverine to challenge for leadership of the new Star League.

way in the future

-Star League conquest of the Clan Home worlds.

According to the opening to the Jihad Technical Readout, there is a Clan led Star League that exists in 3250. Whether it is the same Wolf led one Alaric is trying to form in 3149 is unknown though.

BTW, there's a Everything Battletech Discord server.

Last edited by a moderator:

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
I think it's up to 3150 now.

The Republic and Falcons have been defeated, but Alaric still has the rest of the Inner Sphere and Clans to deal with. I'm thinking his next move might be to move in to the Lyran Commonwealth and claim the throne.

A couple things I'd like to see, although they're far off.

- Second Reunification War: Possibly a Taurian and Raven Alliance led Periphery coalition against the new SLDF.
- Return of Clan Wolverine to challenge for leadership of the new Star League.

way in the future

-Star League conquest of the Clan Home worlds.

According to the opening to the Jihad Technical Readout, there is a Clan led Star League that exists in 3250. Whether it is the same Wolf led one Alaric is trying to form in 3149 is unknown though.

I've also just found out that Alaric has somehow managed to reintergrate the Wolves-in-Exile back into the Crusader Faction...

Well dang it. Guess I've gotta go and support the Federated Suns now and hope they can survive against all the stuff headed their way. That and hope the Wolf's Dragoons somehow slip away as well.

M

ManicTherapsid

Recently modded MW5 with MercTech and the tabletop rules AI. Really adds a new dimension and makes it more enjoyable. Plus the enemies and teammates actually use some tactics instead of just insane waves of VTOLs.

D

Deleted member 93706

I was introduced to Mechwarrior via Mechwarrior 2, but I didn't really get into the franchise until Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. I then fell in absolute love with it. These days, I play Mechwarrior Online, but only during community events.

M

ManicTherapsid

Waiting for the ilClan guide to come out soon. Hoping we get an update on the Spirit Cats.