• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

BattleTech Thread

O.D.D.

Back from the dead apparently
Torpedoed my MWO account about a year ago. Haven't looked back.

MW5M is not great. The DLC manages to screw it up even worse somehow. Pretty unhappy about that, waiting to see if mods can fix the issues the DLC introduced (since there's a snowball's chance in hell PGI will).

O.D.D.

Decided "what the hell, maybe the latest balance passes will make it fun again" and asked PGI support to re-enable the MWO account. Waiting for something to happen. Would be nice to have access to my... 150+ mechs again.

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
I'm tempted to do the same thing actually. If I have the space I'll give it a download, I've heard it's had a bit of a leap even with MW5 being out.

Speaking of which, MW5 has been a ball of fun. And has also taught me the value of lower end weapons like Machine Guns.

And I'm enjoying running wild with a Marauder II.

O.D.D.

Well... mostly recovered.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing a bunch of mechs. Not sure how that would have happened.

O.D.D.

And for today's lesson in "lack of practice for months makes you suck"

e: not always a complete shitter tho
delusions_of_competence.avi

Last edited:

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
Well, I briefly tried MWO a few days ago, but left after a few matches. It doesn't feel like it has improved much since then and it's still dependent on 'form a big blob and clobber the other as best you can' or the classic carasel tactic.

MW5 is just the better game at this point.

O.D.D.

Well, I briefly tried MWO a few days ago, but left after a few matches. It doesn't feel like it has improved much since then and it's still dependent on 'form a big blob and clobber the other as best you can' or the classic carasel tactic.

MW5 is just the better game at this point.
Eh, it feels a lot better than it did back in January. The new version of the Polar map is really nice. Tactics are MOSTLY the same but that's just something that I don't think MWO will ever shake, NASCAR and deathballs are a knock-on effect of other things (mostly player behavior).

e: seriously the difference between old Polar and new Polar is night and day, old one was a map I absolutely loathed, new one is a BLAST

Last edited:

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
Oh MWO talk. How interesting. I got back into MWO briefly, but was bored real quick. Hard to really get anything happening in Faction Warfare, which was the best part. Quick Play is similarly pretty dull, there's maybe a marginal difference between T3 and T1 play.

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
Eh, it feels a lot better than it did back in January. The new version of the Polar map is really nice. Tactics are MOSTLY the same but that's just something that I don't think MWO will ever shake, NASCAR and deathballs are a knock-on effect of other things (mostly player behavior).

e: seriously the difference between old Polar and new Polar is night and day, old one was a map I absolutely loathed, new one is a BLAST

Oh MWO talk. How interesting. I got back into MWO briefly, but was bored real quick. Hard to really get anything happening in Faction Warfare, which was the best part. Quick Play is similarly pretty dull, there's maybe a marginal difference between T3 and T1 play.
Part of the problem is you cannot play independently in MWO. In World of Tanks, a player can find themself taking on ten players alone, and with a combination of skill and the right tool, they can win. Sometimes quite handily.

You can't do that in MWO. Going on your own, even just a little bit, means death. Think you are being clever by pushing a flank? Two mechs chase you and rip you to shreds.

Tragically, if you try and play MWO as it should be, AKA by lances, you will still have one lance run head first into the murderball and get torn to pieces, destroying everyone else's chances.

O.D.D.

Part of the problem is you cannot play independently in MWO. In World of Tanks, a player can find themself taking on ten players alone, and with a combination of skill and the right tool, they can win. Sometimes quite handily.

You can't do that in MWO. Going on your own, even just a little bit, means death. Think you are being clever by pushing a flank? Two mechs chase you and rip you to shreds.

Tragically, if you try and play MWO as it should be, AKA by lances, you will still have one lance run head first into the murderball and get torn to pieces, destroying everyone else's chances.
MWO matches are not team games. They're 1v23. Don't be the guy that thinks if you "support your team" you win, they're morons about half the time, no joke. Use them to get shit done - they're meatshields, distractions, whatever. I assure you they're doing the same to you. I turn off comms because it's all screeching and shittalk these days. I use target calls to track enemy location/movement, no one actually pays attention to them for target priority anymore, and ignore anyone who uses the Commander console to issue commands, they're typically nowhere near as good at it as they think they are (I had someone command the team to go sit in a REALLY bad location and it predictably went south). If you can, get something that lets you kind of "remove" yourself from the general equation like an ERPPC Veagle, sit off to the side a ways out of the enemy's area of focus and hammer them from range, shoot and scoot, and don't let yourself fall into the trap of "I HAVE to help them". It sounds shitty, but I'm rapidly learning how true that is ESPECIALLY past Tier 3. Sometimes, if you can GET a FW game, you can actually start doing serious teamwork, but to do that you basically have to coordinate via a Discord/Teamspeak/whatever to find people to roll with who have their shit together.

E: like, to give some examples of "QP players do not play like teams" - I was in a Mining drop in the Pixie and I had an Arctic Cheetah jump in front of my shots 3 times to try and dive my kills, each time eating my HPPC shot (did no damage to him because minimum range, but wasted my shot). I don't bother reporting anymore, the GMs are pretty lax about doing shit about anything but verbal breaches of ToS/CoC (i.e. really nasty shittalk/insults).

E2: Also, it can help to remember certain names for various reasons. "X is a shitter, he does this thing all the time, Y is competent but cannot be relied upon to do anything for a team, Z thinks LRM Locust is new meta".

Last edited:

O.D.D.

LMAO.png

Wew.

O.D.D.

So I decided to turn my alt account full Clan and... holy shit I hate these things. You can't really be as turbo-aggressive with them as you can be with IS mechs. The playstyle feels very different and all the Clan mechs that come highly recommended, I hate for one reason or another. The Vapor Eagle handles like a bus, the Orion IIC is way flimsier than my IS heavies, the Kit Fox is really fragile.

O.D.D.

More goofing off. Kind of.
Glad I managed to finish the events on main/alt because QP queue is BAD during events. Now I can do something else while I wait for some of the other people to go back to doing other things besides annoying me.

KimberVaile

Been playing MW5 quite a bit. Alot of praise for the core combat here, though it is just essentially MWO's core combat. That said, procedural map generation is usually pretty bad in any game, the lack of actual level design is a bit of a let down. Lack of engine swapping is stupid, it's even dumber you need a mod to undo that causalization attempt. Storyline is pretty generic, but passable, the merc sim aspect is decent.

Kind of a weird case were the core of the game is good, but the stuff surrounding it is a spotty, some of the proverbial apple as it were, is molded and mushy.

Kind of wish a better game company got a shot at the mechwarrior franchise, but for what it is worth, still enjoy it!

O.D.D.

Mods exist for MW5M that allow you to actually do MechLab things in MechLab, though the DLC broke a ton of shit. (I'm waiting for the modders to get completely caught up before I drop a dime on it.) The story is incredibly basic at best and controverts established canon - games are already typically non-canon or apocryphal at best but MW5M's story actually fucks up established canon. Only having a single lance and not being able to call in some kind of support is outright stupid, even the most basic merc company can usually muster artillery/vee/aerotech support. The market system is pants on head and makes no sense most of the time. The timescale is bonkers for things like pilot recovery, repair/refit and mission length.

The VA work is variably bad - Fahad is awful, Spears is very flat, Ryana's ok but nothing stellar, and they got George Ledoux to do VA work... for a random Defense base commander of all things. Without AI mods the enemy AI is painfully stupid and lancemate AI is somehow even worse, friendly fire happens a lot between lancemates because while you don't take FF damage from them other lancemates do and they do not check for clear firing lanes. Challenge is non-existent in vanilla with the terrible AI and typical enemy drop composition, barring cheap shots from magically-spawning vees in your rear arc. Repair bays show up in exactly TWO campaign missions, picking up stuff like mission critical items with a mech happens exactly ONCE, and genuinely interesting fights are only ever briefly entertained as an idea in a couple campaign missions that throw (crappy) ambushes at you. The graphics are worse than they should be for a UE4 game, MW5M crutches on TAA and sharpening which makes it look like ass sometimes.

It's a mountain of utterly wasted potential from start to finish, but I know better than to expect anything but Minimum Viable Product from PGI. I really hope someone creates a full campaign like someone did with MechCommander 2 and Omnitech.

I find it hard to compare MWO's combat with MW5M's because while other players can be pretty stupid in MWO they don't really hold a candle to the level of brain-dead the vanilla AI is. I was basically farming AIs with headshots on Warzone missions once I had the Nightstar, because they'll just run more or less right at you or circle you lazily. Human opponents in MWO run the gamut of derp but I've only ever had one enemy player stop dead and stare at me while shooting (he was in a laservomit Hellbringer, I was in a laservomit Roughneck). He got headcapped for his trouble.

Last edited:

TurbidCyno

Custom Title
It's a shame there's no more DLC or a sequel for the Battletech PC game. Other than early performance issues it's pretty solid, especially after mods.

O.D.D.

Performance issues with Battletech can be fairly serious and I've heard they only get worse later in the game and with mods. Unity CAN be optimized, the fact that they didn't do any optimization at all with Battletech is incredibly lazy and shitty.

O.D.D.

On one hand, Games Workshop makes a ton of dosh and the 40k fandom dwarfs the Battletech fandom.
On the other, GW is a shitty company that most of the fans hate and CGL hasn't fucked Battletech fans over hard to my knowledge.
For all you test tube babies out there.

View attachment 118116
The problem was and always will be Nicholas Kerensky being a stupid asshole space-furry. Alexander would disown the little shit if he could.

TurbidCyno

Custom Title
On one hand, Games Workshop makes a ton of dosh and the 40k fandom dwarfs the Battletech fandom.
On the other, GW is a shitty company that most of the fans hate and CGL hasn't fucked Battletech fans over hard to my knowledge.

The problem was and always will be Nicholas Kerensky being a stupid asshole space-furry. Alexander would disown the little shit if he could.

Catalyst isn't doing too bad of a job. The kickstarter became a shitshow, but that has more to do with covid and trade regulations and isn't their fault. They also inherited a lot of loose ends to lie up storywise due to WizKids messing things up with the Dark Age. I'm hoping in the next few novels they get things cleaned up a bit. But the new miniatures line has been top notch so far.

KimberVaile

Since we are still talking about lore. Got a mild hot take.

The Amaris Civil war is a lot more interesting than the Clan Invasion in terms of eras in Battletech. Would be pretty nice to see any mechwarrior game do that era justice. Clan stuff is kind of overdone.

Taurian Concordat > every other faction. God bless those stubborn cunts.