• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

BattleTech Thread

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
I'm tempted to do the same thing actually. If I have the space I'll give it a download, I've heard it's had a bit of a leap even with MW5 being out.

Speaking of which, MW5 has been a ball of fun. And has also taught me the value of lower end weapons like Machine Guns.

And I'm enjoying running wild with a Marauder II.

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
Well, I briefly tried MWO a few days ago, but left after a few matches. It doesn't feel like it has improved much since then and it's still dependent on 'form a big blob and clobber the other as best you can' or the classic carasel tactic.

MW5 is just the better game at this point.

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
Oh MWO talk. How interesting. I got back into MWO briefly, but was bored real quick. Hard to really get anything happening in Faction Warfare, which was the best part. Quick Play is similarly pretty dull, there's maybe a marginal difference between T3 and T1 play.

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
Eh, it feels a lot better than it did back in January. The new version of the Polar map is really nice. Tactics are MOSTLY the same but that's just something that I don't think MWO will ever shake, NASCAR and deathballs are a knock-on effect of other things (mostly player behavior).

e: seriously the difference between old Polar and new Polar is night and day, old one was a map I absolutely loathed, new one is a BLAST

Oh MWO talk. How interesting. I got back into MWO briefly, but was bored real quick. Hard to really get anything happening in Faction Warfare, which was the best part. Quick Play is similarly pretty dull, there's maybe a marginal difference between T3 and T1 play.
Part of the problem is you cannot play independently in MWO. In World of Tanks, a player can find themself taking on ten players alone, and with a combination of skill and the right tool, they can win. Sometimes quite handily.

You can't do that in MWO. Going on your own, even just a little bit, means death. Think you are being clever by pushing a flank? Two mechs chase you and rip you to shreds.

Tragically, if you try and play MWO as it should be, AKA by lances, you will still have one lance run head first into the murderball and get torn to pieces, destroying everyone else's chances.

TurbidCyno

Custom Title
Also, The Gray Death Legion has been reborn.

51kPIhi9fHL.jpg

KimberVaile

Been playing MW5 quite a bit. Alot of praise for the core combat here, though it is just essentially MWO's core combat. That said, procedural map generation is usually pretty bad in any game, the lack of actual level design is a bit of a let down. Lack of engine swapping is stupid, it's even dumber you need a mod to undo that causalization attempt. Storyline is pretty generic, but passable, the merc sim aspect is decent.

Kind of a weird case were the core of the game is good, but the stuff surrounding it is a spotty, some of the proverbial apple as it were, is molded and mushy.

Kind of wish a better game company got a shot at the mechwarrior franchise, but for what it is worth, still enjoy it!

TurbidCyno

Custom Title
It's a shame there's no more DLC or a sequel for the Battletech PC game. Other than early performance issues it's pretty solid, especially after mods.

TurbidCyno

Custom Title
On one hand, Games Workshop makes a ton of dosh and the 40k fandom dwarfs the Battletech fandom.
On the other, GW is a shitty company that most of the fans hate and CGL hasn't fucked Battletech fans over hard to my knowledge.

The problem was and always will be Nicholas Kerensky being a stupid asshole space-furry. Alexander would disown the little shit if he could.

Catalyst isn't doing too bad of a job. The kickstarter became a shitshow, but that has more to do with covid and trade regulations and isn't their fault. They also inherited a lot of loose ends to lie up storywise due to WizKids messing things up with the Dark Age. I'm hoping in the next few novels they get things cleaned up a bit. But the new miniatures line has been top notch so far.

KimberVaile

Since we are still talking about lore. Got a mild hot take.

The Amaris Civil war is a lot more interesting than the Clan Invasion in terms of eras in Battletech. Would be pretty nice to see any mechwarrior game do that era justice. Clan stuff is kind of overdone.

Taurian Concordat > every other faction. God bless those stubborn cunts.

KimberVaile

I fucking love Marauders. I will always fucking love Marauders. Also Hunchbacks, Griffins, Shadow Hawks, Phoenix Hawks and (probably the only Assault I have an inordinate fondness for) the Awesome. I have a weird fondness for the Commando and Locust as well.
Agree on Huncbacks and especially on Griffins. Fleas are probably my favorite light mech tho, MASC adds alot to that. That or the Raven, probably the most stylish looking of the lights.

Minerva_Minx

Succumbing to her own psychosis
Ok, BattleTech Pods in the 90s. So ahead of their time. Also super expensive to play for 5 or 10 minutes, but so worth the loss of allowance money. Last time I played it was 2003 or 2004 at a Miami Dave and Busters.

Not much for lore and played Mechwarrior on PC a long time ago, probably around that same time. Didn't know it was still a thing.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
I still play MWO, in fact I got back into it recently from the really positive updates this new team has been doing, though of course the same gameplay problems crop up still. It's so hard to get people to react, notice, or do anything that calling things out seems pointless, and matches go so fast that winning or losing is unsatisfying much of the time.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
Ok, BattleTech Pods in the 90s. So ahead of their time. Also super expensive to play for 5 or 10 minutes, but so worth the loss of allowance money. Last time I played it was 2003 or 2004 at a Miami Dave and Busters.

Not much for lore and played Mechwarrior on PC a long time ago, probably around that same time. Didn't know it was still a thing.
Wow, I thought they were a one-off project somewhere in Texas, they were in other places?

Minerva_Minx

Succumbing to her own psychosis
Wow, I thought they were a one-off project somewhere in Texas, they were in other places?
I think originally they were Battle Centers or something like that. the last time I played that, i think I remember it was only just two of them.

I didn't question it. I just rode nostalgia with a guy I was with and played for a while. When I first played it, it was a happy memory with my dad when he didn't have to worry about much.

TurbidCyno

Custom Title
Since we are still talking about lore. Got a mild hot take.

The Amaris Civil war is a lot more interesting than the Clan Invasion in terms of eras in Battletech. Would be pretty nice to see any mechwarrior game do that era justice. Clan stuff is kind of overdone.

Taurian Concordat > every other faction. God bless those stubborn cunts.

The Taurians pretty much fell apart in the Dark Age but I'm hoping the Calderon Protectorate gets its act together. Unfortunately it looks like they might be starting to nuzzle up too close to the FedRats.