• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Beginner - Sewing Machine Help

Hi. I don't know where to post this, but I'm at my witt's end. I have looked all over my area for someone willing to teach me to sew for a year, and nobody is available. I am disabled and struggle a lot with learning, and was looking specifically for a one on one teacher. I go to college in about 5 weeks, and I'm debating lugging my machine with me to college to try to find someone to teach me.
Everytime I have tried in the past to sit down and use it, I end up getting frustrated. This week I tried to do so again, and apparently my machine is broken. I don't want to fork over however much to fix it. I don't even know of anyone around here that can repair it.
Apparently it is a timing issue. And the real problem is simply the fact that I don't know enough about sewing or the machine itself to know the terminology or anything. I have tried googling ways to fix the machine, but all the videos and such seem extremely different than my model.
My model is the Singer Tradition Sewing Machine.
0714191750.jpg

0714191750a.jpg

The problem is - I was trying to learn how to thread the machine - and the needle will not pick up the thread.

This machine is a few years old, but I have only used it a handful of times. I have no idea what I'm doing. I could get a new machine but my deceased father gave me this and I would feel like I am letting him down. I have gotten very little use out of it.
I am sorry for being so heavy but I am so, so discouraged. That is why I am reaching out to the furry community, which has cheered me up many times. I want to learn to use this machine so bad and now it's broken and I don't know how to fix it.

Thank you so much for reading.

Godzilla

Getting thru it all
Hi! We somewhat have the same model of sewing machine and while I'm not a sewing machine expert by far and also definitely don't know how it all works i used this video to help me start sewing. Without it I just kept messing up over and over so i hope it'll help you too.

cerulean_blues

Hi! I may be able to lend a hand, I've done a lot of sewing in my time. While I've never worked on a machine with a front-loading bobbin like yours, I know they can be particularly finicky, so don't feel bad! Even sewing pros can struggle with bobbins. The first thing is to check and double-check that you've got your main thread threaded correctly. it looks like the knob for your stitch length is about right for the running stitch you've got it set on. the next thing I'd check is your tension setting for the top string. On singer's, it's generally a wheel on the top. I can't see what you've got it set to, but too high or too low, and you could snap your thread, or it may un-thread before it will pick up the bobbin thread. Lastly, the bobbin. I can't tell a ton about it from the pictures you provided, but I found a very useful video on your bobbin style.
It even details how to change the bobbin tension, but I'd do that as a last resort. If none of this is helpful, feel free to pm me or continue discussion here. A video of the machine in action would also be useful if you could manage that. I hope this helps! :3

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
My wife ha a similar machine and for whatever reason, it will not pick up the bobbin thread unless you tip the machine backwards, onto its back to insert the bobbin. Anything else will cause a massive bind in the timing.