• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Being Called by Your Species Name

Ben

Banned
Banned
I discovered this weekend that I feel really awkward about the idea of being called a chinchilla "or chilla" during in-person interactions. I had a birthday celebration with Shanelle and some other local furry friends and one of my brown friends, and every time I was called a "ginger chinchilla" or "chilla", it just felt incredibly forced. I never think of myself as a chinchilla or call myself one-- it's simply a visual representation I chose on a whim, because I wanted to use a species that's rarely used. For me, chinchillas hold no symbolism. However, I don't care enough to do soul searching and find the animal that best "symbolizes" me, because fursonas are trivial and inconsequential things.

I'm wondering if this is just me though. How do you guys feel about being referred to by the species of your fursona, whether it be through textual or vocal interaction? I'm curious as to how many other people feel this way.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
I discovered this weekend that I feel really awkward about the idea of being called a chinchilla "or chilla" during in-person interactions. I had a birthday celebration with Shanelle and some other local furry friends and one of my brown friends, and every time I was called a "ginger chinchilla" or "chilla", it just felt incredibly forced. I never think of myself as a chinchilla or call myself one-- it's simply a visual representation I chose on a whim, because I wanted to use a species that's rarely used. For me, chinchillas hold no symbolism. However, I don't care enough to do soul searching and find the animal that best "symbolizes" me, because fursonas are trivial and inconsequential things.

I'm wondering if this is just me though. How do you guys feel about being referred to by the species of your fursona, whether it be through textual or vocal interaction? I'm curious as to how many other people feel this way.
Oh god you just reminded me of a conversation I had irl,
"well why is this sculpture a shark?"
"It's my persona"
"what?"
"Ima fucking shark"
friend, "*begins singing* He's a fucking shark, he's gonna fuck you with his duodick *beatbox sfx* and then drink order you to get his tea bitch-"*I'm just going to stop there cause you can already tell he was a terrible singer as well.

8-bit

I like it. Being called a near-immortal death machine? Sweet l3

Last edited:

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
furfag moment here. i rather identify as a weasel or opossum, and i do get called that by all my furry friends. it's not something i really expect of people who aren't into the furry thing, but it has come up in jokes amongst friends. "don't lie to me! i know you and your weasel BS!"

Kreevox

Groovy Kitsune
Scottish Dire Fox rolls of the tongue better than hyoomun so all my fur-friendly friends either call me that whenever I they address my furriness, but if its just casual talk theyll just say furry or fox

Jude

U1 S7 P106
No, not really. This reminds me though.

My friend and I have a reoccurring joke where he calls me a rat fox (failed accidental drawing attempt, okay?) and he says he's going to commision me a painting of a ratfox performing autofellacio as a birthday present >__>. I think he's serious.

Summercat

Former Motterator
It depends. If I'm in a furry setting, then sometimes it makes sense. Then again, people don't go "Hey otter!" to me in person all that often.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
I feel like I'm being talked to by Morbo.

I'm pretty new to the furry community...but I don't really understand why it would be necessary to call someone by their species name. Calling them by their fursona's name, maybe. But you don't get anyone calling each other human, so why call them fox, or in your case, chinchilla? I don't really see the point.

It's completely hurting me to not call me by my name, but a species name.

Their fandom is not an excuse, as I and probably many others don't identify myself with any persona outside of the computer.

What they see is a human. If they can't accept me, then why are they my friends?

When that happens, they shall prepare for a punch.

Jashwa

Even my non furry friends call me a kitty. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
None of my friends know I am a furry.

Twink

Eater of all things phallic
GOD DAMNIT!!! I was suiting at FurFright this last weekend and i'm not that popular yet so yeah if you yell out "Hey unicorn!" i'll obviously respond butt some stupid idiot (and not always the same people) were yelling out "hey horse" i mean WTF, It's not like my horn was just a knob on the top of my horn, I had to duck under most doorways! It's obvious i'm a freaking unicorn and not some plain old horse!

I think getting called by my character's species is fine but get the species right

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
GOD DAMNIT!!! I was suiting at FurFright this last weekend and i'm not that popular yet so yeah if you yell out "Hey unicorn!" i'll obviously respond butt some stupid idiot (and not always the same people) were yelling out "hey horse" i mean WTF, It's not like my horn was just a knob on the top of my horn, I had to duck under most doorways! It's obvious i'm a freaking unicorn and not some plain old horse!

I think getting called by my character's species is fine but get the species right
This reminded me of The Last Unicorn.
A horse am I? A horse indeed!

Eh, some of my good non-fur friends jokingly call me a fox from time to time, and it doesn't get to me because it's all in good fun. Besides we've all got our nicknames for each other, so it's very easy to make a quick comment back at them.

Last edited:

CannonFodder

Holy shit dude I've seen your costume on one of Icanhascheezburger's websites.

I've never been referred to as "tiger" by any of my friends, though some of my furry friends have and do call me by my fursona name of Cyanide. If someone randomly called me "tiger," I don't think I'd know to respond until they physically touched me to get my attention.

CannonFodder

I have been called by new fursuit's character, but I won't spoil it because I'm only 90% done with it.
(*psst* I'll give you guys a hint, it's from housepets)

Subrosa

Recycled words
some people call me "kitty" or "kitty cat"

I don't mind it, although I've never had a nickname that stuck.

CerbrusNL

I am legion, for we are many.
In real life, I get called "wolf" by 1 or 2 persons, at times. On the internet (/IRC / MSN), it's quite common to call me by species.
But don't you dare call me a coyote! I'm a fucking red wolf! A wolf, I tell you!

(Yea, it's no problem, but at least get the species right.)

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
BEN IS A MOUSE

Russ

*Le Rawr*
It doesn't bother me being called "cheetah" online or offline. And I call people by their species name as well now and then. Its simply easier to call someone "Hey foxie" than calling him "Hey murryyiffox264".