• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Being furry and introvert

gabbo13

I want to open this thread about how you benefited of being part of the furry fandom as an introvert.

In my case I like this community, however I can hardly talk in whatever group I'm part of, whether is a Discord server or a group on Telegram. The only good is I have a few people who I talk with and they are very kind with me, despite that we still in this situation of the pandemic and other issues we're having on the entire planet.

What about you, guys?

Chomby

I'll poke your butt.
I can chat anywhere just fine text-wise, but I can't voice chat. lol
I don't think the fandom has made me any less introverted.

Chomby

I'll poke your butt.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
Personally I've mostly just benefited from the introvert's blessing, i.e. my friends mostly all reached out to me first. Every now and then I message someone else first, but I think good people and good friends can understand that often introverts can be happy when they're alone or satisfied with relationships even without talking too often.

It gets a little easier though, every time you talk to someone or post somewhere.

sleepy kitty

frisky feline
Personally I've mostly just benefited from the introvert's blessing, i.e. my friends mostly all reached out to me first. Every now and then I message someone else first, but I think good people and good friends can understand that often introverts can be happy when they're alone or satisfied with relationships even without talking too often.

It gets a little easier though, every time you talk to someone or post somewhere.
Couldn't agree more

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
I used to freeze up when talking to new people over Skype and things back in the day, but now it's whatevs. It does get easier, as long as you don't give up on the first mistake. I mostly learned that through retail and life though. Wanted to better myself, and so I did.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

i don't understand this terminology of introvert and extrovert.

seems to a thing most of the western world agrees with.

in my experiencee you're all the same bar circumstance.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
It sure can provide ways of expression to people who otherwise would be shut-ins forever

Rayd

philosophy & psychology nerd
i feel like if anything this fandom has made me more introverted. i went from desperately trying to find my place in any sort of community to leaving just about everyone that talks to me on read for several days subconsciously.

i can also relate to the paralytic fear of voice chatting. anytime anyone brings it up my heart sinks because i know as soon as i tell them i don't voice chat, any existing appeal they had in me compared to their friends that do voice chat is immediately gone.

Jackpot Raccuki

Although half canine, is not a wolf.
Honestly, it kind of soured my taste for a decent chunk of the fandom that I just hang out in smaller communities now wherever possible.
I'd try and reach out at times (Not that I usually can.) but some people just have this unappealing aura that I either don't talk to them or end up leaving them on read to put it as nicely as I can although I can at least say it might've not happened here, not that I'd remember since leaving people on read isn't actually intentional but feels weird to come back several weeks later saying "Whoops didn't see it!", but at same time I lost interest in trying to know peeps here, in the sense of friends and such, not implying I dislike people here; just kinda "don't feel like going out of my way to directly make friends with furries." and more of "I'd rather have friends with similar interests."

Things like Voice chat don't exactly bother me, but y'know if someone I just met asks for VC immediately before even getting to know each other, I just give an annoyed look. Public server VCs are only if I know the server peeps decently well, seriously had some weirdo moan on the mic in a furry server and had to tell him to 'moan' elsewhere and muted him, me and the group just moved to a private group dm.

I don't want to be an introvert since it kinda feels shitty not being able to talk to a decent amount of people, with some alone time on occassion, but some peeps in the fandom just put me off to put it nicely.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
I worked in customer service, taking inbound phone calls for six years and now I hate talking on the phone even more than I did before. I feel awkward doing voice chat because I just am not that talkative. Even in regular chats, it really depends on the topic, and who is involved.

Have always been introverted, I am okay with being by myself and get overwhelmed by a lot of people, especially if I don't know any of them.

Erix

>‿‿◕
It’s honestly a love and hate relationship being an introvert, personally for me anyway. Sometimes I’m totally okay with me just sitting back and “enjoying the show”. Just watching a scene unfold, like some conversations with friends, and mostly just listening in on what they have to say, it’s nice. I don’t always gotta put myself out there to know that people I care about care about me, and they DO know I exist. Just one of the things I’m okay with being an introvert for. Though, I hate it when I want to converse with some people, or I want to hang out with groups of people, but stuff like social awkwardness, anxiety and the like stop me from pursuing said actions. It gets really annoying at times.

*Sigh*

Introvert things am I right? Heh

Yakamaru

Very Speshul Title
I've always been an introvert at heart. Learning how to be extroverted to a degree can help you tremendously on the social front. Finding topics to talk about, showing how things can be done and leading by example, making it easier to find friends, and more. Even introverts usually want to socialize from time to time, and it's a rather good idea to understand how. It's benefitted me tremenduously on all social fronts, and my IRL connections and interactions in particular. My colleagues say they like having me around for various reasons as well, which to me is a blessing and a half.

Even someone who have Autism and is extremely introverted benefits hugely from knowing how to socialize.

I much prefer text format though. No awkward stuttering on occasion trying to translate my thoughts into actual spoken words. Gives me the time and space necessary to properly formulate well-structured sentences, gather my thoughts and communicate as if I have no speech impediments or social limitations.

Erix

>‿‿◕
I much prefer text format though. No awkward stuttering on occasion trying to translate my thoughts into actual spoken words. Gives me the time and space necessary to properly formulate well-structured sentences, gather my thoughts and communicate as if I have no speech impediments or social limitations.
This, this right here. So relatable.

Connor J. Coyote

I want to open this thread about how you benefited of being part of the furry fandom as an introvert.

In my case I like this community, however I can hardly talk in whatever group I'm part of, whether is a Discord server or a group on Telegram.
Well, it is known - that introverts do benefit from more socialization (be it online, or in person); and thus - being a part of the Fandom can help certain individuals "come out of their shells" I think.... and so, being a part of this culture (and other cultures who might share a similar interests, as well) can certainly help, and is certainly worth at least trying out.

In the case of not having enough people to talk to - as an introvert, you may find that a bit challenging, obviously. But - trying to overcome one's "shyness", (and inability to properly communicate) - would not only be benefical to other member's in the community that you're a part of - but also, for YOURSELF - in that you'll be addressing "head on" many of the social challenges that you (and other introverts) may face.

And so, once someone starts taking that approach - it can be looked at as rather therapeutic in some ways - by helping you overcome some of your social challenges..... and at that point - one wouldn't be just exploring one's personal interests, but also - helping themselves, eventually.

gabbo13

I worked in customer service, taking inbound phone calls for six years and now I hate talking on the phone even more than I did before. I feel awkward doing voice chat because I just am not that talkative. Even in regular chats, it really depends on the topic, and who is involved.

Have always been introverted, I am okay with being by myself and get overwhelmed by a lot of people, especially if I don't know any of them.
I also worked in customer service but it didn't last longer, although they paid me in that time. And I'm also OK being a calm and introverted person while I'm working in some projects during the pandemic and the social issues are having right now.

Sotalo

So... I definitely was an introvert when I was a kid, but I've become a lot more outgoing in recent years. Really, admitting that I am a furry helped a lot. Weird, but, just making an account on DA and posting my artwork and communicating with people, I've discovered I actually do very much enjoy talking with other people. It's just for the longest time I wasn't hanging around the right people. I'm still an introvert, but I've cast aside a lot of the negative aspects. I don't want to be a shrinking violet, I don't want my existence to slip away into nothing. I want to enjoy life, and live a good one. I think I'm making up for lost time, now.

proudbedbug

i am new and have been scared to come out in the fandomfor a long time but i've been watching from the wings. so far people have been nice to me and havent made fun of my OC so i am excited to see how it can help my introversion

Adrian Gordon

I used to live in Russia and there was very much a stigma that men should associate themselves with typically predatory animals as they were seen as being stronger.
Despite being in the military I've never been pro-macho which is how i became an intelligence officer since it relies more on psychology than combat.
Personally I've never seen these large prey animals as weak just more reserved and i see a certain familiarity in that.
Being introverted doesn't make me any less of a man, just that i'm more caucious and observe before taking action.
I like my private time and though I don't go out into the world much when i actually do i'm no less outgoing.
I'm not lesser I'm just slower paced so to speak.

Something this thread kinda puts off is that if introvert = cannot talk to people, shy or just anxiety, which I'm not sure is really the case.

Introvert is that you regain your energy from being by yourself, and being in social outings wear you out.
Extroverts feel energized from being with other people, and being alone has a negative effect.

Not saying people are wrong with what they are saying about themselves, just that being shy and having trouble talking to people shouldn't make you an introvert. This is for example when you pull up the pandemic situation and how introverts fare better, it's not because they are used to not talking due to being shy, or find it weird or awkward in social settings, it's because they don't have the same need or want for direct social interaction and by choice wants to be alone more.

This should probably not be taken as a scale that you slide around on, but rather you're on one side or the other. We are social creatures though and even as an introvert you might seek social interaction, but that doesn't mean you're becoming less introverted if anyone would ask me at least. This thing is a bit left up for interpretation to each and everyone but if you check sources online it makes sense to me at least.

I consider myself an introvert, and it's a reason why I spend more time alone. But the actual ability to be in a call, sit around a table with people I don't know well or speak and guide someone professionally at a workplace has very little to do with it. Think of it more like your personal abilities.

Filter

uwu
Something this thread kinda puts off is that if introvert = cannot talk to people, shy or just anxiety, which I'm not sure is really the case.

Introvert is that you regain your energy from being by yourself, and being in social outings wear you out.
Extroverts feel energized from being with other people, and being alone has a negative effect.

Not saying people are wrong with what they are saying about themselves, just that being shy and having trouble talking to people shouldn't make you an introvert. This is for example when you pull up the pandemic situation and how introverts fare better, it's not because they are used to not talking due to being shy, or find it weird or awkward in social settings, it's because they don't have the same need or want for direct social interaction and by choice wants to be alone more.

This should probably not be taken as a scale that you slide around on, but rather you're on one side or the other. We are social creatures though and even as an introvert you might seek social interaction, but that doesn't mean you're becoming less introverted if anyone would ask me at least. This thing is a bit left up for interpretation to each and everyone but if you check sources online it makes sense to me at least.

I consider myself an introvert, and it's a reason why I spend more time alone. But the actual ability to be in a call, sit around a table with people I don't know well or speak and guide someone professionally at a workplace has very little to do with it. Think of it more like your personal abilities.
True. I can talk to anyone. People even tell me that I'm a good communicator, but social interaction wears me out. The exception being family or small groups of close friends. They're close enough that I don't need to be "on" all the time when around them. I can sit somewhere to read, for instance, and mostly be left alone when I do. I wouldn't categorize myself as shy or antisocial, and I do like going out now and then, but I recharge through alone time and solitary activities.

My boss, an extrovert, simply can't wrap his head around why I wouldn't enjoy an open office floor plan. That kind of arrangement would be stressful. As an introvert, I feel more misunderstood than like there's something wrong with me.

lolox

I want to add to this otherwise excellent post.

The more time you spend doing some task, naturally the more experienced and better you become at it. While introverts may be more than able to socialize, extroverted people are more likely to have socialized more and thus - probably - have cultivated "the skill of socializing" to a higher degree. Again, that isn't to say introverts couldn't be just as skillful, just that since introverts spend more of their time doing other things, it's natural that they aren't.

Personally I find introverted people far more interesting for this very reason. Interactions can be of fewer words and yet more is said.