• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Being furry and introvert

IncenseAndIron

Big Tough Werewolf
I happen to be an introvert, but I also have other issues that somewhat impede my experience in the furry fandom.

Being an introvert, I prefer time alone to recharge. Constant social interaction is something I am not built to do. However, I am not really "awkward" in conversation, even if others have told me I can appear stiff and serious. Though, I am not sure if I come off that way to everyone.

Regardless, I think being an introvert is not my main issue when interacting with others in the fandom. For me, it's moreso the level of transphobia and racism rampant in this fandom that makes it difficult to trust people, especially as both a transgender person and a person of color. It is *heavily* prevalent in the fandom, whether people like to admit it or not, and it feels like almost every other cis or white fur I've seen makes racist and transphobic jokes repeatedly, with no sign of shame. This bigotry being so common here makes it hard to determine who is trustworthy and who isn't. Even when I see someone I think I can get along with, if they are cis or white then I am worried about them turning out to be some cunt who would make horrid jokes at my expense.

If this weren't such a problem in the fandom, I would probably have an easier time making other furry friends, even despite the fact I am an introvert.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I'm an outgoing introvert. I genuinely enjoy connecting with people, but need to be able to retreat and spend time by myself afterwards.

One time, I overdid it at a furry convention, and it actually started to feel dizzy and like my skin was on fire. I practically fled from the convention center and took a half-hour stroll around the block, which recharged my battery just enough to allow me to get through the afternoon.

It's important, then, that I either room by myself, or room with considerate, quiet roommates when I go to cons.

I chat sparingly with folks on Discord and Facebook these days, and check my casual/low-priority messages when I have the energy for conversation. Actually, I've had some the nicest little chats this past year with some of the artists I've commissioned!

Last edited:

gabbo13

I happen to be an introvert, but I also have other issues that somewhat impede my experience in the furry fandom.

Being an introvert, I prefer time alone to recharge. Constant social interaction is something I am not built to do. However, I am not really "awkward" in conversation, even if others have told me I can appear stiff and serious. Though, I am not sure if I come off that way to everyone.

Regardless, I think being an introvert is not my main issue when interacting with others in the fandom. For me, it's moreso the level of transphobia and racism rampant in this fandom that makes it difficult to trust people, especially as both a transgender person and a person of color. It is *heavily* prevalent in the fandom, whether people like to admit it or not, and it feels like almost every other cis or white fur I've seen makes racist and transphobic jokes repeatedly, with no sign of shame. This bigotry being so common here makes it hard to determine who is trustworthy and who isn't. Even when I see someone I think I can get along with, if they are cis or white then I am worried about them turning out to be some cunt who would make horrid jokes at my expense.

If this weren't such a problem in the fandom, I would probably have an easier time making other furry friends, even despite the fact I am an introvert.
It's hard to get any friends and see if it's the right ones.

gabbo13

By the way, is there anyone who's having depression before you joined to the fandom? Am I the only wone or what, but I'm alone and isolated in my own home before the pandemic, dealing with the dillema about my future after I graduated from college. But I started to talk with a couple of furries and we started to create a freindship, although I want to know very well and see if they're able to help me in any situation.

Hound-of-chulainn

I'm pretty heavily introverted, but with my anxiety it really doesn't help when I want to reach out and connect with people then just immediately back out(or black out, but I haven't had that in a while). Some of my IRL friends from highschool always talked about how friendly and welcoming the community is, and I've met some pretty cool people on here because of it. Whenever this pandemic is over I think I'll be brave and hit up a con with them. :)

By the way, is there anyone who's having depression before you joined to the fandom? Am I the only wone or what, but I'm alone and isolated in my own home before the pandemic, dealing with the dillema about my future after I graduated from college. But I started to talk with a couple of furries and we started to create a freindship, although I want to know very well and see if they're able to help me in any situation.
Honestly, depression is one of those tricky things, were it's usually best to ask a professional for help too, especially if it turns out that there's a chemical imbalance behind it. Sometimes the brain just doesn't produce the happy chemicals and there's nothing we can do about it. Also people saying "We're gonna make it eventually" sometimes just comes off as hollow, even from people going through a similar situation. I can say I was in a pretty rough place before I adopted my cat. But now that I have something to take care of and keep me company, it helps me cope with the isolation of living alone. The rest of my monsters I gotta deal with myself. but I'm managing pretty well, all things considered.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
People don't want to believe I'm an introvert but, lol--

In general, the advantages of being an introvert include being a good listener and having good discernment. The later is really important for protecting yourself in general, and has been helpful in navigating life, not just the furry community. I find, unfortunately, that there are a lot of people who come into this community to take advantage of people. Having good discernment buffers this.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
There have been some great people who have been a great help to me in this fandom~. We support each other. I just finished encouraging another friend to join my group since she's pretty isolated where she was (before the pandemic).

Eremurus

live long, and prosper
I am not very outgoing. I am very introverted, and it would appear to me that many in the furry community are actually extroverted, but they are also very lonely and long for social interaction. Donning fursuits and attending conventions, while having to keep up a facade of friendliness is not something I want to emotionally deal with.

I used to attend tournaments when I was younger, for Super Smash Bros. That does not even require much social interaction, you just play your bracket sets and maybe hit up people for friendlies; and I would still be exhausted. I doubt the majority of you are introverted and anti-social to the degree that I am. It is not necessarily healthy, either.