• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Being furry is good for your back!

Nihles

Pet foxxo
Only kind of joking here. There was a news story on NPR this morning that said "Pull your tail out so it can wag". Sitting so that you don't sit on your tail, like I am now is good for you =D
"Sit up straight," parents and teachers say, and most of us immediately stick our chests out.

But that's the last thing you want to do, Sherer says.

"Even just hearing the word 'spine' makes people lift their chest because they want to have 'proper posture,' " she adds. "But when I see it, I'm like, 'No! That's what causes back pain. Lifting your chest is going to make your back pain worse.' "

Instead of focusing on the chest or shoulders, Sherer says, we need to turn our attention to a body part that is lower down, below the waist: the pelvis.

Or to put another way — your butt.

"The most important thing to change to reduce back pain is your pelvis position," she says. "It's like a stack of toy blocks. If the blocks at the bottom aren't sturdy, then the top has no chance."
To figure out how to shift your pelvis into a healthier position, Sherer says to imagine for a minute you have a tail. If we were designed like dogs, the tail would be right at the base of your spine.

"When you sit with a C shape in your spine, you're sitting on this tail," Sherer says. "It's kind of like a dog with its tail between its legs, who is scared and frightened."

To straighten out the C shape, Sherer says, "we need to position the pelvis in a way that this tail could wag."

In other words, we need to untuck our tails. To do that, Sherer says, you need to bend over properly when you go to sit down.

"Bend over?" I ask. "Do I bend when I sit down?"

"Yes!" Sherer exclaims. "Every time you sit down, you bend somewhere."

And where you bend determines how you will sit.

If you bend at the waist, which many Americans do, then you will likely sit with a C or cashew shape.

If you bend at the hips (as we learned about in a previous story), you're more likely to sit correctly with your tail untucked.

"Bending at the hips can be hard for many people to figure out," Sherer says. "It's a bit counterintuitive."

Link here:

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
I am so fascinated it’s not even funny...

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
If we are going to rule this world then we need a king! Any suggestions?

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
If we are going to rule this world then we need a king! Any suggestions?
@Simo runs Skunk Nation already. I run Mustelidia. We have experience but I dunno if I wanna rule the world. Sounds boring.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
@Simo runs Skunk Nation already. I run Mustelidia. We have experience but I dunno if I wanna rule the world. Sounds boring.
@Simo would be a good ruler if everything was peaceful with flowers and rainbows but what about agressive expansion? What if looming disaster will break out? What about religious zealots? We need a trade and production running to upkeep the provinces. What about managing states? We need second Napoleon until we capture everything then when situation calms down we can figura out mantaining. All process should take around 100 years if everything goes well

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
@Simo would be a good ruler if everything was peaceful with flowers and rainbows but what about agressive expansion? What if looming disaster will break out? What about religious zealots? We need a trade and production running to upkeep the provinces. What about managing states? We need second Napoleon until we capture everything then when situation calms down we can figura out mantaining. All process should take around 100 years if everything goes well
Or a really good secretary of state and a well established military force. I personally like how Switzerland does theirs...maybe we can model.

Night.Claw

I made my first preparations... I grow my horns, and my hooves. I'm gathering my allies, and increasing my power day by day... Soon i will begin my plans of domination... and i'm going to be a merciful overlord.
You, my friend, can wish for anything, and can chose a nation to rule over. I will grant it to you, glady. JK

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
I made my first preparations... I grow my horns, and my hooves. I'm gathering my allies, and increasing my power day by day... Soon i will begin my plans of domination... and i'm going to be a merciful overlord.
You, my friend, can wish for anything, and can chose a nation to rule over. I will grant it to you, glady. JK
May I continue my reign over Mustelidia?

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Skunk Nation has a certain way with foxes! I think they would enen enjoy and wecome my rule over Vulpine Valley! :p

M

Massan Otter

Skunk Nation has a certain way with foxes! I think they would enen enjoy and wecome my rule over Vulpine Valley! :p

Although it transpires that the mustelid/fox peace negotiations are already underway. This morning I received this from a fox of our mutual acquaintance!
mother_feeds.jpg

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Haha boy! You remind me of myself your age. Proud and energetic, do you know how my first battle ended? My entire banner was obliterated!

Calm down and let someone with field experience think... hmmm

We need trade cards for sure and superior technology. USSR has send Nuclear weapons onto orbit years ago and Poland created pl-01 stealth tank, also one satelite is equiped in kinetic bombardment mechanism, thor i think it was called.
If we could put our paws on those things then we would have strong hand.
Making Saudi Arabia our allies would be essential for our couse as they have big oil reserves.
Without strong allies and outside support we can only dream of anything. We need to get finances somehow as well. It might be strange but i would suggest starting the revolution in either Scandinavia or Greenland as their military power isn't very big and resources are high. The problem would be NATO but we can force the leaders to quit it.
Alliance with Russia would be advisable.

I

Infrarednexus

The term "Sitting culture" really makes me think of what will become of us in the future.