• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Believable aliens on Venus?

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
Haha, wow. You really did pick the most hostile place in the solar system for your aliens^^
Here is a video that explains why Venus is evil. Pure evil. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6K2ibg-Wb0

The planet essentially baked itself dry. There is nothing there that could sustain life.

Even Mars would be better than Venus.
If you want some kind of subterranean culture I'd choose one of the bigger moons of the gas giants. Those are said to have underground oceans! I mean, that is a place where scientists actually do speculate that life could be found there^^

Did you not read the part where I said "survive temperatures of 800 degrees celsius"?

After all, they're aliens, and they're biology would likely be hella different from ours.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Did you not read the part where I said "survive temperatures of 800 degrees celsius"?

After all, they're aliens, and they're biology would likely be hella different from ours.

You also said "Believable aliens" in the title. Venus is the last place where I would look for life, that is not very believable.
At temperatures like that there can't really happen any biology anymore. You need a medium to start life in, like water. Water and other fluids don't exist in large enough quantaties on Venus.
Venus is just a big chunck of hot rock. It is literally the least habitable place in the solar system XD

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
It is literally the least habitable place in the solar system XD
Actually, it's not. Mercury is worse, Io is worse, any asteroid is worse, don't forget Sol itself.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Actually, it's not. Mercury is worse, Io is worse, any asteroid is worse, don't forget Sol itself.

How is Mercury worse? Venus is the hottest place in the solar system (except for the sun itself of course but I don't count that anyway), its atmosphere is 90 times more dense than that on earth so you would get crushed by it, it rains acid, there are volcanoes everywhere, at nights it's -180°C but not that it matters, a day on Venus lasts over 200 earth days so you can't exactly just wait for nightfall, due to the slow rotation it has almost no magnetic field at all so you get blasted by the solar wind... It's just a plain nightmare. It's actually pretty close to how some poeple would describe hell :p

Mercury on the other hand is relatively tame. It's colder there and if you hide in one of the craters near the poles you might actually find water!

Asteroid are small and boring. The sun is just that, the sun. You can't really go there anyway. I read on XKCD that if you went into the sun (not onto the surface) for just one femtosecond that would be enough to give your whole body second or third degree burns, t horribly damage your DNA through radiation and to fry your organs with photons that are reduced to microwaves.

Io is probably pretty bad as well, but my bet is still on Venus^^

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
You also said "Believable aliens" in the title. Venus is the last place where I would look for life, that is not very believable.
At temperatures like that there can't really happen any biology anymore. You need a medium to start life in, like water. Water and other fluids don't exist in large enough quantaties on Venus.
Venus is just a big chunck of hot rock. It is literally the least habitable place in the solar system XD

But then I was reminded that, since I'm making science fiction, I can bend the rules a bit. There are a lot of things science hasn't been able to explain yet, and obviously won't be able to explain those things until decades, maybe centuries later.

Eggdodger

Mourning Dove
But then I was reminded that, since I'm making science fiction, I can bend the rules a bit. There are a lot of things science hasn't been able to explain yet, and obviously won't be able to explain those things until decades, maybe centuries later.

And science fiction, as a medium, is meant to make you think. You think of a problem, perhaps one that could eventually happen or maybe one we've never speculated about before, and you think how advances that we don't have in the present could solve them. In this case, you're building a scenario in which life on one of the most inhospitable places imaginable could possibly be sustainable. I think that's the mindset of a science fiction writer, or even a scientist: look for something that seems impossible, and make its attainment conceivable.

Kangamutt

Except that you can only hand-wave so much before it stops being believable. And you have quite the load on your plate using Venus of all planets to have something living there. As it's been said, it's one of the most inhospitable planets in our system. The air is almost completely carbon dioxide, it rains goddamn acid, atmospheric pressure is 90 times our own at sea level, and it's at average, a balmy 462 degrees Celsius. You know, hot enough to melt lead. Then there's the fact that the planet spins so slowly, it is unable to generate the magnetosphere to deflect any solar wind that comes at it. As it stands, the planet is a total wasteland.

You've got a lot of biology and chemistry homework.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
Except that you can only hand-wave so much before it stops being believable.

I'm not too good with biology or chemistry as you know, so I'm not sure where I'd have to stop hand-waving for the believability to stay in place. What if I just don't explain their existence beyond living underground under our noses, and being practically made of magma or something?