• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Best Albums of 2009

KalixWyntircat

Silent Shout
Red album had a few decent tracks. The rest were WHAT THE FUCK RIVERS.

After his take on an anti-drug song, I just really had enough of him. Really, honestly, truly, completely done. For those of you keeping score, that was off of Make Believe.

The samples I'm hearing of the Flaming Lips album sound pretty good, though my favorite song is Silver Trembling Hands because it switches up the noise with that casual off-beat soft rock sound that's been popular as of late.

I like interesting percussion, but some of the acid sounds on Embryonic seem recycled from song to song. Maybe that's just me being an amateur at guitar tones.

Heads up for potential late album of the year winners, consider that the new Atlas Sound AND Fuck Buttons albums come out within the next seven days! *excited*

Also, not sure if anyone else heard it, but the debut album from Neon Indian is a potential winner too. Pitchfork summed it up best when saying it's like a mix of Deerhunter and M83.. or something like that.

Falkyar

Flahge
Sunn O))): Monoliths & Dimensions
Devin Townsend Project: Ki
Royksopp: Junior
Kalisia: Cybion
Anaal Nathrakh: In The Constellation Of The Black Widow

amidoinitrite

Sinjo

Banned
Banned
I'd also highly recommend these guys

B002NOYWZU.jpg

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
After his take on an anti-drug song, I just really had enough of him. Really, honestly, truly, completely done. For those of you keeping score, that was off of Make Believe.

The samples I'm hearing of the Flaming Lips album sound pretty good, though my favorite song is Silver Trembling Hands because it switches up the noise with that casual off-beat soft rock sound that's been popular as of late.

I like interesting percussion, but some of the acid sounds on Embryonic seem recycled from song to song. Maybe that's just me being an amateur at guitar tones.

Heads up for potential late album of the year winners, consider that the new Atlas Sound AND Fuck Buttons albums come out within the next seven days! *excited*

Also, not sure if anyone else heard it, but the debut album from Neon Indian is a potential winner too. Pitchfork summed it up best when saying it's like a mix of Deerhunter and M83.. or something like that.

We Are All On Drugs? That was never anti-drug to me and I really don't think it was to be taken like that.

JMAA

Banned
Banned
My favourite at least from 2009:
122_08_02_2009_10_38_59_stryper-murder-by-pride-2009.jpg

Yeah, but it's kinda moody.
I got it at a prize lottery at a biker party from the Satanases Elkartea. Jack and Ainhander (my two characters) should be proud of me by getting this album in my hands. Specially for "My Love, My Life, My Flame", the bonus track.

Last edited:

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
My favourite at least from 2009:
122_08_02_2009_10_38_59_stryper-murder-by-pride-2009.jpg

Yeah, but it's kinda moody.
I got it at a prize lottery at a biker party from the Satanases Elkartea. Jack and Ainhander (my two characters) should be proud of me by getting this album in my hands. Specially for "My Love, My Life, My Flame", the bonus track.

I thought that was Murder by Death for a second and I got all excited thinking I didn't hear about a new album :<

JMAA

Banned
Banned
I thought that was Murder by Death for a second and I got all excited thinking I didn't hear about a new album :<
Murder by Death? From which band you ought to think so?

ShaneO)))

Isis-wavering radiant
Sunn O)))- monliths and dimentions
zombi-spirit animal
baroness-Blue album
converge-axe to fall
mastodon-crack the skye
btbam-the great misdirect
prefuse 73- everything she touched turned ampexian
porcupine tree-the incident
shpongle-ineffable mysteries of shpongland

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Isis-wavering radiant
Sunn O)))- monliths and dimentions
zombi-spirit animal
baroness-Blue album
converge-axe to fall
mastodon-crack the skye
btbam-the great misdirect
prefuse 73- everything she touched turned ampexian
porcupine tree-the incident
shpongle-ineffable mysteries of shpongland

Very nice.

Endless Humiliation

Banned
Banned
Red album had a few decent tracks. The rest were WHAT THE FUCK RIVERS.

Mark Prindle said:
FACT: Many of this record's lyrics seem not just self-referential but downright smug about Weezer's importance to the world of music. Perhaps these are intended as ironic, but they just come across as loathsome. Here are examples from a few different songs:

"In Act 1, I was struggling to survive
Nobody wanted my action dead or alive
Act 2, I hit the big time
And bodies be all up on my behind
And I can't help myself because I was born to shine
And if you don't like it, you can shove it
But you don't like it, you love it"

"I picked up a guitar
What does that signify?
I'm gonna play some heavy metal riffs
And you will die!"

"Got together with my bros
In some rehearsal studios
Then we played our first rock show
And watched the fan base start to grow
Signed the deal that gave the dough
To make a record of our own
The song come on the radio
Now people go
'This is the song'"

"Everyone likes to dance
To a happy song
With a catchy chorus and beat
So they can sing along
Timbaland knows the way
To reach the top of the charts
Maybe if I work with him
I can perfect the art"

Okay, now that last one I know to be ironic because it was apparently Rivers' reaction to Geffen telling him that his originally submitted CD didn't have enough potential hit singles on it. However, I've included it here because it demonstrates Rivers' inability to admit (or recognize?) that he is not "above" writing happy songs with catchy choruses that sound designed for radio success; in fact, it's all he fucking writes!!! Believe me, Geffen was not telling him that these songs were too 'difficult' or 'clever' for radio success; they were trying to be polite about the fact that they're too SHITTY to be hits!

The most interesting result of Weezer sucking so badly now is that their first two records (both good solid pop-rock records, but no great shakes) are now being remembered as Untouchable Timeless Masterworks. Trust me - they're not!

Listening to Red Album

Getting tha' shits

:cool:

EDIT: Finished it, it sucked, sucked so much I deleted it from my computer.

On Cold Dark World: Holy fuck this is awful

Last edited:

Endless Humiliation

Banned
Banned
I had to force myself past track 3. UGGGGGHHHHHhhhhhh.

I disagree about the first two records though. Especially Pinkerton. Oh wells.

That's cause you were raised by Pitchfork.

useless_creep@hotmail.com said:
The Weezer phenomenon is interesting; does anyone remember in the late 90s when it was cool to like Weezer in the punk scene? For awhile it was about as cool for mainstream "alternative rock" fans to like Weezer as it was to like The Presidents of the United States of America or whoever. But to hipsters, Weezer then became cool in a convuluted sort of way; it was cool because they were this band that mainstream fans wouldn't go anywhere near anymore. It also didn't hurt that Weezer perfectly fit in with the ultra-wimpy contrived nerd emo image that was the big trend in the late 90s punk scene.
Those two Weezer albums were good, and the fact that mainstream people considered them to be officially uncool to like made them seem even more attractive to certain people who have knee-jerk reactions to the mainstream. During this period, it was cool that you could go to the used record store and get those two really good albums for $1 from the bottom-of-the-barrel-Hootie-bin. That's definitely how I got introduced to them. I had been into punk rock for a couple years and the internet wasn't omnipresent like it is now, so in order to get anything I was interested in hearing I had to either go through mailorder or somehow manage to find rare gems in the local music stores. I was always on the lookout for anything even remotely acceptable that was only a buck. Once I got on the internet around 97, I found out on alt.punk that it was a cliche to be a punk rocker who liked Weezer. People were constantly praising Weezer on the alt.punk message board, and I actually remember participating in a long "name your favorite Weezer" thread. If I had to guess, I'd say that phenomenon can be traced back to a certain point when lots of people across the country thought that $2 for the Weezer discography seemed like a pretty swell deal.
Lots of people flaunted their Weezer fandom back then. It was textbook ironic hipster bullshit. One thing I noticed is that ever since Weezer made a comeback, hipsters no longer praise Weezer. The mystique is gone. This whole new generation picked up on the idea that Weezer is supposedly cool to like, but they aren't aware that the original reason why it was ever cool for hipsters to like Weezer is because of just how inherently uncool the band was after their second album bombed.

Not that they're bad records. It's good power pop but it's like that and In The Aeroplane Over The Sea are just the products of hype and if you don't agree well, then, you're wrong

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
That's cause you were raised by Pitchfork.

Not that they're bad records. It's good power pop but it's like that and In The Aeroplane Over The Sea are just the products of hype and if you don't agree well, then, you're wrong

It's funny cause I like Weezer from back in high school and was given In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by a friend because they heard I like Modest Mouse. :|