• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

best antimalwarespywarevirus protection?

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
Because i hear different things all the time.

i just got that "vista antispyware 2011" virus on my computer (as well as one i've had for a while that makes google searches redirect to fake websites). what is the best anti software to fix this? free, of course. malwarebytes didn't catch either of them.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
I still haven't run into anything negative about Kaspersky, but BitDefender has been causing some firewall/mail-related problems for some of my customers lately.

Also, MBAM, which you can also get off of BleepingComputer's Vista Antispyware 2011 removal page if the malware won't let you get it directly.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Aw, crap, now I remember. I fought this thing recently, and oh was it a pain to remove.

Basically, I booted into the recovery console, chose the command prompt because there weren't any restore points, and ran regedit to null out the pw.exe exefile association hijack to "%1" (IIRC). I don't have a reference system for what the hijacked registry keys are supposed to be, so I had to guess. The price if I guessed wrong would've been a repair install or reinstall.

Once that was done, and pw.exe wasn't hiding itself from MBAM, I booted into Safe Mode, and MBAM found it then.

But holy crap did that take so long.

Stargazer Bleu

2b forgot is worse than death
Ariel (or anyone) what is your opinion on webroot? I have a free 6 month full version for it.

Without regards to price what would you say is best to have?

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
AVG Free. It comes with Surf Shield as well and even when you're browsing a site and a virus is about to try and attack your computer, it stops it.

I set it to scan my computer every day, which is pretty useful seeing as how it's caught several viruses already.

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
I stick with AVG on Windows boxes - works very well (better than the school's paid product, Trend).

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
The best AV is AdBlock and/or Flashblock. (That's actually on reason why I had to stop using Chrome. The ad blocking extensions it has are utterly abysmal compared to Firefox.)

Also keeping your Flash and Acrobat Reader up to date. (Flash generally pops up with a new update every week or so. Don't ignore it.)

Of course, those aren't the only vectors. (But they are by far the most common.) A general protection solution is needed. Everyone in my family uses either AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
I recommend Avast!, simply because it's much lighter than AVG while running and has similar/slightly better scanning accuracy depending on the situation. It also hasn't stolen focus on me or broken MS Outlook/Exchange because it failed to update a component (AVG did both of these things on the 9.0 release). In addition, it has a pre-boot scanner for 32-bit systems, which is extremely useful for removing threats like this. It's surprising that MalwareBytes hasn't caught it, but there are some other tools I recommend over at the Windows Tweaks post that might help, GMER especially.

Also, AdThwart is the most capable ad blocker on Chrome, and as far as I'm aware, it catches everything that AdBlock for Firefox catches (FA ads included). Coupled with disabling plugins by default and using whitelists (like NoScript), I get pretty decent security overall.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
It's surprising that MalwareBytes hasn't caught it

MalwareBytes won't catch it because the hijacked .exe association ensures the malware runs all the time and is able to hide itself from MalwareBytes. In addition, in my case at least, the file had the ASH attributes set, ensuring Windows treated it as a critical system file, hidden even if "show all files" is selected.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
Also, AdThwart is the most capable ad blocker on Chrome, and as far as I'm aware, it catches everything that AdBlock for Firefox catches (FA ads included). Coupled with disabling plugins by default and using whitelists (like NoScript), I get pretty decent security overall.
It can't seem to fully implement the AdBlock engine. I've seen ads (usually streaming videos) that Firefox is blocked the Chrome didn't.

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
Has anyone noticed that most Anti-Virus software now have such stupid names and are so plentyful that it's ligitimately difficult to tell them from illigitimate, rogue software?

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Has anyone noticed that most Anti-Virus software now have such stupid names and are so plentyful that it's ligitimately difficult to tell them from illigitimate, rogue software?

Yeah, like "Norman". No, that's totally not a rip-off of "Norton". But it's legit (albeit superficial protection at best).

Avast! is still my favourite though.

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
SuperAntiSpyware totally sounds like rogue Chinese made malware to me. But nope, ligit. I thought that guy was JOKING when he suggested it, untill I Googled the software.