• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Best book series that you have read that is not very well known

My favourite Book-series:
Autor: Rita Falk
Language: Only german.

The book is about a german police officer named Franz Eberhofer. He is the only officer in a very small town in southern bavaria.
Franz Eberhofer solves different criminal cases with an emotionless face, he likes Leberkässemmeln and has a dog named Ludwig.
His grandma is cautious to not let him suffer from the slightest hunger.
The book provides also some recipes from Franz's grandma.
And his Dad grows marihuana in his garden and listens to the beatles.
Franz dislikes the beatles and tends to shoot his fathers turntable with his duty weapon.
The book is very funny there are alot of jokes and you can't hold back laughter (thats why there is a warning inside the book to not read it in public)

The picture shows the first book in the series.

At the moment there are 8 books:

1. Winterkartoffelknödel
2. Dampfnudelblues
3. Schweinskopf al dente
4. Grießnockeraffäre
5. Sauerkrautkoma
6. Zwetschgendatschikomplott
7. Leberkäsjunkie
8. Weißwurstconnection

MetroFox2

Resident Stone Age Fox
I'm not the best at knowing how popular a book series is, but is Michelle Paver's "Chronicles of Ancient Darkness" Series obscure enough? The first book is Wolf Brother if you're interested, and it's on Audible if that's your thing. I am halfway through the second to last book, and I'm going to be sad to leave the main characters because I actually quite like them. Though Paver is writing a new series set in ancient Greece, so I'm looking forward to starting that.

Mudman2001

Wolf of Many Talents
I’m going to toss out the first two Well of Souls series and The Four Lords of the Diamond series by Jack for the sci-fi fans here.

For the Well of Souls series, start with Midnight at the Well of Souls as that sets up everything and can be read on its own very nicely. Then go with the next four books in order. By the end it sets up some very very good questions for discussions. The second series is an expansion on some of the races that he wanted to use but never did, and stay away from the very last two books.

The Four Lords of the Diamond follows a special agent who has his memories/personality duplicated and placed into four convicts that had their brains wiped. This is done so that he can infiltrate 4 worlds that each one has its own rules and a virus that causes it so that once you set foot on a world you can’t leave it without dieing.

Legarch

The Other Boy Princess
The Farsala Trilogy
Author: Hilari Bell
Demographic: Young Adult

A trilogy of books, that has a loose basing upon the invasion of Persia (Farsala )by the legions of Rome (Hrum), from the perspective of the Persians. Also takes a lot of from the Persian story of Rostam and Sorhab, which is actually used as ‘break points’ between chapters, giving a short 1-2 page excerpt of a retelling of the ancient story. The chapters are written kinda weird though, as each ‘Chapter’ has three ‘subchapters’, each from the point of view of the three main characters. Highly recommend it.

The Oracle Trilogy
Author: Catherine Fisher
Demographic: Young Adult

Takes place in a rough facsimile of Ancient Egypt. A story about corruption of the Theocracy of the land, and how the Archon, the literal manifestation of a deity in human form, is reduced to little more than a puppet by corrupt priests and generals who claim true ruler-ship over the land. Very interesting concept, though I remember when I read it some parts of it flew a bit over my head, as I started reading the series when I was only around 11 years old (fuck that feels like a lifetime ago).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll probably make another post about some good books I read when I get home and check my massive shelves of novels I gathered over the years. I was the kid that always begged to stop at Chapters when we went to the city and got bookstore gift cards, so I have hundreds of books and manga sitting around

Mayflower

Chocolate horse delicacy
I don't really know if they are well known or not, but the books that came to my mind were The Pilo Family Circus and The Pilo Traveling Show. They tell the story of how the protagonist gets forced into a supernatural circus, where he has to work as a clown. As expected the clowns are evil, the magic is real, and the circus really isn't a nice place.

I really enjoyed these books. The circus is such a wonderfully imagined(and horrible) place, that I just want to learn more and more about.

S

Sheppen

Warrior cats (sorry lmao)
Goose chase (not a series but it's amazing)
The tale if desperaux (not a series either)
The hunger games

Idk just a few that I actually like

Ciderfine

Slow as sickness but true as sap
Banned
There are a lot of ink tattooed classics I could list here that as as popular powerful as indie hits in todays market means.

Dragon and thief is a good start, it builds a world that exists. Redwall is more vintage because its a complex novel of cultures and character then just animals. The Angels command is a great book. Urchin and the hearthstone is a amazing series as well.

SashaBengal

Well-Known Tigress
I second those mentioning Garth Nix, David Clement-Davies, Douglas Adams, Kathryn Lasky, and Michelle Paver. I tend to follow authors I enjoy, and remember books by them. To add to the list....

1) Any Star Trek novel by Diane Duane, Greg Cox (Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh Volumes 1 & 2 were my favorites), and Peter David
2) Orson Scott Card's Enderverse (20+ books and still writing)
3) Elfquest by Wendy and Richard Pini (40 years of beautiful art and elegant storytelling, read it online at elfquest.com)
4) Masque of the Red Death by Wendy Pini (graphic novel of Poe's work. Again, you can read it online... I think masquemusical.com)
5) Any book written by Sharon Skinner, starting with The Healer's Legacy

If I think of anymore, I'll add to this post lol

B

backpawscratcher

Well worth checking out is The Helliconia Trilogy by Brian Aldiss, a story spread out over a couple of thousand years that charts the rise and fall of civilisations on a planet where seasons last centuries. Alongside the humans there's also a race of anthroyaks named Phagors. The two races don't interact much in the story, apart from being the bogeyman for each other in the height of winter or summer as each becomes dominant.

2) Orson Scott Card's Enderverse (20+ books and still writing)

I've not been able to look at anything he's involved with since it came out about his funding of anti-LGBT equality campaigns. Which is a shame, because he's obviously talented as a writer, and I really don't like reducing everything to other peoples' politics. However, I can't help it in that particular case. I just don't want to give him any of my money knowing where he's likely to send it, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
I've not been able to look at anything he's involved with since it came out about his funding of anti-LGBT equality campaigns. Which is a shame, because he's obviously talented as a writer, and I really don't like reducing everything to other peoples' politics. However, I can't help it in that particular case. I just don't want to give him any of my money knowing where he's likely to send it, you know?
Source?

Quite frankly, it sounds more like you feel guilty for liking his work, and are trying to compensate with a boycott in order to earn validation.

SashaBengal

Well-Known Tigress

He also writes into his books a lot of interesting perspectives about several faiths and beliefs that challenge my own. To me, it doesn't really matter what the man's personal beliefs are. If his writings make me stop and think about my own worldviews while I'm reading a fiction book, he's doing a good job. His world building and character development are outstanding, given that Ender's Game was never meant to be the beginning of a series. And besides... if you don't want to give him your money, just borrow the book from your local library.

ChapterAquila92

Banned
This was all over the news at the time the Enders Game film came out. Harrison Ford even had to comment on it in press interviews.
Was it? It must have been both a slow news week for something that vapid, and on news networks barely worth watching. Then again, I don't really care for what celebrities have to say.

SashaBengal

Well-Known Tigress
Was it? It must have been both a slow news week for something that vapid, and on news networks barely worth watching. Then again, I don't really care for what celebrities have to say.

I missed that news report as well but... the man has been a practicing Mormon for decades. Probably his whole life. Based on that knowledge, why is it such a surprise that he's anti-gay? Sure, not all members of the LDS church are as outspoken as others, not are they all as intolerant as all that, but still. It shouldn't be such a scandal and disappointment to fans of his work. As far as I know, he never tried to hide his religious views. Media just likes to sensationalize things.

B

backpawscratcher

I missed that news report as well but... the man has been a practicing Mormon for decades. Probably his whole life. Based on that knowledge, why is it such a surprise that he's anti-gay? Sure, not all members of the LDS church are as outspoken as others, not are they all as intolerant as all that, but still. It shouldn't be such a scandal and disappointment to fans of his work. As far as I know, he never tried to hide his religious views. Media just likes to sensationalize things.
I've no problem with people being anti-gay, for whatever reason. Everyone is going to have different viewpoints on stuff. Expecting anything else in a world of 7 billion people is a bit ridiculous. It's only when I found out that he was actively funding groups that want to take peoples' rights away, people like me, that I started having an issue about it. Yeah, he's entitled to do that, but at the same time I'm entitled to pick my response. So I did.

B

backpawscratcher

Obviously you weren't that interested in the film coming out if you didn't seek out news articles or reports related to it. Personally I was, since I'm into film in a big way and sci-fi is a genre I particularly enjoy. So I was disappointed when I discovered Scott Card's funding of anti-gay lobbying groups as a result.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Ring trilogy by Koji Suzuki. First book is somewhat known, mainly due to being remade countless times into completely different movies (the American adaptation is the most well known to Western audience, but sadly it's kinda the worst of the bunch, simplifying the whole story into a Hollywood flick), but otherwsise, it's an obscure and underrated series. All three books are completely different in tone - first one is a mystical horror, second one is a technotriller, and third one is an intetestinc sci-fi piece about transhumanism.

ChapterAquila92

Banned
Obviously you weren't that interested in the film coming out if you didn't seek out news articles or reports related to it. Personally I was, since I'm into film in a big way and sci-fi is a genre I particularly enjoy. So I was disappointed when I discovered Scott Card's funding of anti-gay lobbying groups as a result.
To each their own. It still strikes me as strange that you're denying yourself a novel series solely because of a tangential triviality your interest in a movie adaptation of its first book led you to discover.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Theodore Dreiser

The Financier (1912)
The Tycoon (1914)

Very compelling books, about a the rise and fall and rise of a ruthless guilded age tycoon, first set in Philidelphia, and then, turn of the century Chicago. Not among Dreiser's best known works, but in my mind, reaching at points the heights of his more famous Sister Carrie.

B

backpawscratcher

To each their own. It still strikes me as strange that you're denying yourself a novel series solely because of a tangential triviality your interest in a movie adaptation of its first book led you to discover.
It's OK. There are plenty of other authors out there that I haven't read yet. TBH I came into this thread to recommend Brian Aldiss then mentioned Scott Card in passing, so this whole conversation makes it sound like my avoidance of him is a bigger deal for me than it actually is. I'm not trying to organise a boycott or anything. I just know I wouldn't enjoy reading his books after finding that out, so I'd rather read someone else's work.

ChapterAquila92

Banned
It's OK. There are plenty of other authors out there that I haven't read yet. TBH I came into this thread to recommend Brian Aldiss then mentioned Scott Card in passing, so this whole conversation makes it sound like my avoidance of him is a bigger deal for me than it actually is. I'm not trying to organise a boycott or anything. I just know I wouldn't enjoy reading his books after finding that out, so I'd rather read someone else's work.
Isaac Arthur often makes sci-fi "book of the month" recommendations to people who follow his Youtube channel.

Ashke

Friendly jaguar writer dude
Wraeththu by Storm Constantine. It's hard to describe this series, but it's about an evolved race that is slowly replacing humans and are adrogynous outwardly. It can best explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wraeththu There's something really powerful and magical about Storm's writing, which can be surreal and addictive. I found myself having to read this a few times to get certain scenes entirely, but it was well worth it for that level of prose. It's both beautiful and captivating and just a fantastic read. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wraeththu