• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Best furry convention for a newbie?

LadyToorima

Nyaa nyaa~
Please forgive me if this thread has been done before!!! -bow-

I was just wondering what conventions you might suggest for a newbie and the reasons behind your choice?
Are there any fur conventions I should avoid?

Tips for attending furry cons or for someone who may one day get to acquire a fursuit?

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
No specific convention is tailor-made for a first timer. Instead, use the common sense rule that you go the Furry convention you are geographically closest to, with the exception being Anthrocon or Further Confusion, which may be too large for the first timer. Never enter a convention without coming up with plans for getting there and leaving, which is why the closest one is usually the best. Work your way up from coffee meets of about 10 people to monthly furmeets with about 50 people, and then go to a convention.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Don't listen to Darryl he smokes a lot of crack.

If your location is right, then there are plenty of great cons to choose from. Since its in your neck of the woods, Indy Fur Con would be your best choice.

Last edited:

Jabberwocky

bitch where
Midwest Fur Fest would be your nearest furry con. That happens in November.

LadyToorima

Nyaa nyaa~
Ok, thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into Midwest Fur Fest and Indy Fur Con!

What would you say is the best furry con in the US? Like if I HAD to go to one at least once, which should it be? o.o

Jabberwocky

bitch where
Ok, thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into Midwest Fur Fest and Indy Fur Con!

What would you say is the best furry con in the US? Like if I HAD to go to one at least once, which should it be? o.o

Even though I have never been to this one, Anthrocon. It's the biggest so why not?

mapdark

Fluffy as a shaggy carpet
Even though I have never been to this one, Anthrocon. It's the biggest so why not?

I would have to say that Anthrocon is a good one for someone who goes to their first fur con.
Despite the few things I think could be improved on , the con actually has a track for first-timers and tends to care for new attendees.

Also , thanks to their efforts at keeping the con VERY VERY PG-13 , it's the one where you're the least likely to get bad surprises at.

Otherwise , MFF is very nice. And much more centralised . The main hotel is fantastic for a con. Contrary to Anthrocon where trying to find someone is a chore , MFF's hotel makes it easy to get in touch thanks to the layout of the building. And the elevators are actually working well VS Anthrocon.

Red Savarin

Caninu Hunter
I've never been to a convention and don't plan on ever going to one, but I would have to agree to going to the one that's closest to you geographically. It's cheaper, and you'll probably be more comfortable around a familiar environment. Closest one to me, I think, is Furry Fiesta in Dallas, but fuck that, I'm not going ever.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
I've never been to a convention and don't plan on ever going to one, but I would have to agree to going to the one that's closest to you geographically. It's cheaper, and you'll probably be more comfortable around a familiar environment. Closest one to me, I think, is Furry Fiesta in Dallas, but fuck that, I'm not going ever.
That's because Dallas is a fucking shithole.

Distorted

If/When you do go, make sure to not to go alone. I got lost at a convention and almost got kidnapped by a group of furries. It wasn't even a furry convention so I'm sure it could've been much worse.

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
None, they'll rape you :V

Don't know, just remember to read up before you head out c:

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
This is a really subjective question that depends upon what you consider to be fun. Also enjoying yourself can also rely on your situation. For a newbie I'd caution to try a smaller con. Don't break your back trying to make it all the way to the biggest for your first one. Small well run cons offer a lot of good things and also tend to be easier on your wallet. With something like furry, you may want to get your feet a little wet in the shallow end of cons before you go to the deep end.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your time frame you allow makes a huge difference. I've been going for several years now, and being able to show up one day early and leaving one day late completely changes things. It has a lot of benefits. If you only allow yourself one day to go, you may find yourself regretting it wishing you could stay longer. Who you room with can also make or break the con so try to find good roommates.

Red Savarin

Caninu Hunter
That's because Dallas is a fucking shithole.
>Be 30 year old Mexican mom sitting in a car
>Go to the black neighborhood (conveniently located next to the Mexican neighborhood where she was staying)
>Wear a red Texas Rangers shirt
>Have gun flashed at you and your fucking kid by a crip
>Make like a banana and get the fuck out of there
>Tire shot out
>Kid won't stop crying now

True story of what happened to my classmate when she went to visit her in laws in Dallas. As it turns out, the black community and the Mexican community have beef there, and it turns out the Mexicans wear red and the blacks wear blue. Let it be known that both of those groups are fucking racist and my classmate would have been shot at anyways. But yeah. Fucking Dallas.

Last edited: