• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Best printer/scanner?

Anbessa

right now I employ a HP deskjet F370 printer/scanner unit. the canon stuff I used before didn't do me no good; the printer worked well, but guzzled the ink away like anything, and there are no aftermarket cartridges available for this model I had. the printer cost me €65, and each of the three 3-colour cartridges I used up within half a year (without printing that much, mind you) set me back for €29... the scanner worked not too well, without too many adjustment options, and missed out many shadings as well. after almost a year the scanner's transformator had a short circuit, and in the end I threw it away.
my current set-up works well, scans good, prints reasonably well on everything that fits onto the rolls (even thin artist cardboard), I have aftermarket cartridges (even HP's own aren't that expensive), and it eats up less space. all for a merely €59.
of course, scanning a boom page is tricky, but there.

I hope this helps you a bit on deciding what to buy.

sentharn

I use an old Epson Perfection 610 flatbed model. It's huge, it's loud, it's noisy, but it can scan at 300 DPI (maybe more, I don't recall) and is very useful. I think you can pick them up for cheep too.

Anbessa

does it work with WIn XP, too? I once bought an old graphic tablet which works only under Win2k and older... watch out for that options in old hardware.

QT Melon

AMF Member
I'm leaving for college in about a month and at the top of my "need" list is a good printer/scanner. My current scanner sucks and doesn't pick up light coloring; this is shaded with light gray, but it doesn't show up.

Basically I want something that can scan high-quality pictures, and make professional-quality prints. I have no idea where to start looking for this, so I figured I'd ask this art community. Any tips, warnings, and rave reviews are welcome.

(And may I add that I'm looking for something under $300? D: )

I think the best advice is to actually buy them as separate units instead of one. You can get a relatively cheap Canon scanner for a good price and then Epson makes rather nice printers. HP is also relatively decent too.

Buy a Flatbed scanner. When you scan your images, the scanner emits a lot of light that goes through the paper, so try putting paper behind it and a solid book or something that is flat and blocks the light. Scanning at 300 dpi is good, for printing you want to know about lpi. I could explain it, but it becomes tricky X3... this depends on the output of your printer.

LPI is lines per inch
DPI is dots per inch

nobuyuki

Hello, a friend pointed me out to this thread and since it's sorta my job to know about retail printing and scanning technology I thought I'd give you my advice on the matter.

My best recommendation if you want something all in one is to go with the HP Photosmart C8180. You're one of the few people who would actually use most of the features that make this printer cost what it does. Let me tell you the two main reasons I think this one's right for you.

1. The scanning technology in this printer is the same technology used in the ScanJet g4050, a 96-bit, 6 color scanner with 9600dpi optical resolution. As far as I know, no other company has this amount of color fidelity in their scanning technology for the consumer market. What this means is that you get color fidelity that can't be matched by any of the other guys, and furthermore if the uncalibrated preview image isn't what you want, all that extra color data allows you to adjust the color levels of each individual channel with minimum culling and other problems which effect adjusting the channels in 24 bit images. If you do any amount of color work and want the colors to be scanned in accurately, this is an indispensable boon.

2. The printing technology is the same that's used in many other recent Photosmart printers -- it is a 6-color printing technology which uses individual ink tanks, and a dye-based ink system. Because dye ink is a solution and not a suspension like in pigment ink (such as in epson), you're not likely to suffer the nasty problem of ink clogging the print heads and ruining your printer. The system is very efficient at retaining ink, so less of it is wasted and you can print more images on one cartridge, which saves you money. It also produces excellent image quality, to boot.

I think that a few Canon printers might give you a little bit of color fidelity, but not at the ease of use or cost point of this particular HP model. If you do want the higher DPI of the Canon, however, I'd recommend getting perhaps the Pixma Pro 9000 and an HP ScanJet g4050 for the scanning part. Don't forget that higher DPI is useless unless you use the name-brand paper with the substrate specifically formulated to that brand of printer.

Good luck on finding a new printer/scanner 8)