• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Best sewing machine? What do you use?

Hello!
I'm thinking of buying my own sewing machine as soon as I can and I'll be starting to save up and searching for deals.
What do you use with faux fur? I mainly deal with minky and faux fur so something sturdy and smart, but not *too* much.
And affordable all-terrain sewing vehicle is more of what I'm looking for haha

What do you use? If you could buy a sewing machine what would you buy?

smolmuffin

A teeny muffin
I currently have a Brother XM2701. I have no experience with sewing fur but the machine has seen some use with other projects. Its a beginner friendly machine (for the most part... I can't figure out how to trigger the stretch stitches and I've looked everywhere for directions) I can see it working well with faux fur and similar fabrics.

Something else to keep in mind is having the proper needle type and thread. Certain fabrics benefit greatly from specialized needles and thread. These should be easy to find online, the machine instruction manual will point you towards the specifics. Make sure you check these instructions as a lot of machines might break or not function correctly if you use a thread that is too thick or thin. The included needles will work with most fabrics tho.

You might benefit from a machine designed to work with heavy weight fabrics but a lot of general use ones should be able to handle fur.

Edit: learning how to use the knobs that adjust tension and width... All of that fun stuff is very important as well.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
Janome, Pfaff, Viking, any mashine that has a steel inner chassis and gear train. Singer has only one that I will endorse, it shows on the package that it has a steel chassis inside, goes for $199 USD, I think. The 4452 is a very nice Singer, all metal frame.

Also, any of the older all metal "Heavy" machines from the 50's and 60's such as Brother and Kenmore for example, probably comes in a cabinet. If you have someone local that can give it a tuneup, those make great faux fur machines.

Another suggestion is the (in)famous "Sailrite" sewing machines. They're meant to sew sails so you know they will laugh at faux fur. One last option is a used but still good condition industrial sewing machine. I have a Nakajima Rex, a Singer-pattern machine that will sew anything you can get under the presser foot.

Just be sure to pass on the Wally*Mart $99 Singers - they will not last.

sewingempire

Hello! I'm thinking of buying my own sewing machine as soon as I can and I'll be starting to save up and searching for deals. What do you use with faux fur? I mainly deal with minky and faux fur so something sturdy and smart, but not *too* much. And affordable all-terrain sewing vehicle is more of what I'm looking for haha What do you use? If you could buy a sewing machine what would you buy?

If I were you, I would have gone for Brother Sewing Machine which is top-rated these days.

Benji Digipawz

For me I used to use a Kenmore Sewing Machine from the 1990s. Now I use a high-end Baby Lock BLG Sewing Machine for my first fursuit. It's expensive, but's the best sewing machine. It threads the needle itself, which is a perk I love. For you, I would definitely put your money towards a Singer sewing machine. There are fursuit makers I have talked to that always use a Singer sewing machine. The Singer Heavy Duty sewing machines are $150-$200, but there really good from the makers I have seen use it. But if that's too much for you, I would go with a Brother Sewing Machine also as a last resort. That's just my opinion.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
Here's a good way to look at it; if you're buying your machine from a discount big box retailer, it's probably junk. If you go to an actual sewing center or fabric store, they will let you know what will sew faux fur without blowing up in the middle of a suit. I think $200-$250 would be the very minimum a good machine would cost.