• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Best video game bosses ever

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
I have two, because I can hardly classify on which one is better:

Klunk in Secret Agent Clank
Many of the Hive Queen battles in Daxter.

Project_X

1. Gravity Man, Megaman Network Transmission.
2. Dark Samus, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
3. Omega Zero(Model O), Megaman ZX.

Laze

Big 'Modo
You can't go wrong with Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2. That fact that he technically doesn't exist and is only the personification of the main character's guilt towards he actions before coming to Silent Hill is just sheer narrative genius.

Darius Gaiden had some awesome bosses too. Nothing hits home more than battling gigantic robotic fish monsters from beyond in the deepest parts of space.

But to actually pinpoint one single boss as the best would be rather hard, I suppose if I really think about all I want to end up screaming is Metal Gear Rex but I've already mentioned robots before so... OH! I got it:

boss_william_m2.jpg

William Birkin.

Probably because I played [and still do] a stupid amount of Resident Evil 2. I even have an action figure of the guy I love him that much. I don't know what it actually was that made me choose him; the fact that he is constantly changing throughout the game unlike other bosses that just appear as a single, one off entity, because he actually would rather infect himself with his experimental bio-weapon virus than have it fall into the hands of the faceless corporation that was Umbrella. Or maybe it's the massive eyeball shoulder and the claw.

It's very doubtful the Resident Evil Series will ever has such a charismatic and deep character when taken into context. Considering how terribly written most of the games actually were, William Birkin is pretty much the golden peak in the series as a whole.

Ride_the_Lightning

RTL for short (obviously...)
I liked the fight against Gray Fox in MGS because of all his strange ramblings;
Shadow of the Colossus was freaking amazing;
Pyramid Head;
and something amazing I can't remember >_<

Tim-kun

Dr. Tim Pridell
The Boss and Big Boss XD

..I actually think that too.. Idk maybe I'm just TOO into mgs anything <.<;

Kajet

Bob the Killer Goldfish, and
Queen Pulsating, Bloated, Festering, Sweaty, Pus-filled, Malformed, Slug-for-a-Butt

Both fairly epic boss battles from Earthworm Jim, I mean nothing is quite as epic as going through an entire level only to realize you've been running on the last boss of the game the entire time BUT, that's NOTHING compared to the EPIC fight against Bob the killer goldfish...

Giles_F_Ahrun

Yuyuko Saigyouji and Yuraki Yakumo from Touhou 7 - Perfect Cherry Blossom. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYRMMpL65FY and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noi5jHK7qeo ... Can't avoid to sing "Border of Death" when I watch this replay)

Fujiwara no Mokou from Touhou 8 - Imperishable Night. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nb5Ohbt1Sg)

The 2nd and 3rd Boss from Progear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPua1riUkPA video start while the player fights the second boss)

All bosses from Darius-G. Mainly the Queen Fossil (where I can "Quad Laser" the monster in the second stage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b89bwIvVsWY )

Huey

Weapons-grade =D
Hmm... Trying to think of some that haven't been mentioned. Here's what I can come up with at the moment:

Mundus from Devil May Cry
Darth Traya from KotORII
Dyne from FFVII

XeroHedgehog

aka SpecOpsBear
I thought Saren was a cool character, from Mass Effect. ;x

I both loved and hated that battle. I loved it because you could avoid the first part of the fight entirely.

My other favorite boss fights include the Stallord fight in Twilight Princess (surfing on a mechanical top - awesome!), the MCP fight in KH2, and the fight with GlaDOS at the end of Portal.

Favorite line ever: "You think you're doing some damage? Two plus two is f...f...f...f...f... - ten. In base four, I'm FINE!

Clyde_Dale

I'm sorry, but the best video game boss award, in my book, will always go to Kefka.

Seriously, he's the epitome of 'ending boss'. He's the guy you REALLY want to kill, and an insanely difficult fight. You want to kill him for the laugh alone, but as the plotline develops, you just want to kill him more and more. The sheer ego and gall to have soldiers brush sand off his boots in a desert, then it gets into what he did to Terra, boiling down to what happened at Doma... then with the Emperor... then finally the whole world.

He's one of the very few bosses who 'won'. He did it. He blew up the world. He owned the rest of it, through a rain of terror (and lasers). He beat the party and scattered them across the planet.

Then, when you finally get to face the full potential of Kefka, he can literally one-round the whole party with one combo before your characters can act. Better have Life3 on everyone, because his opener is probably going to be Fallen One (everyone's hit points drops to 1), then S.Cross (minor damage to the whole party).

I've never seen a villain be so... villainous. So sick, twisted, evil, and the sheer annoyance factor that just makes you want to grab him by his hair and beat that stupid laugh into the pavement. He's equally on par with the Joker from Batman: Dark Knight.

AlexX

Calamity in Heaven
Seriously, he's the epitome of 'ending boss'. He's the guy you REALLY want to kill, and an insanely difficult fight.
Eh, the fight isn't really that difficult as long as you're prepared.

SparkOfMortality

Just checkin' in
At first nothing really stood out in my mind. There were some shadow of the colossus moments, phantasy star episodes, a couple of zelda and sonic games but now I know for sure.

Flandre Scarlet from the touhou series. Just found out about it a while ago and WHOMG it's awesome!

My reasons are:

A: she's not unarguably the hardest boss but she is by far the most impressive
B: she's a hidden extra to the game that adds an entirely different plot element
C: she's a kickass character that once you know about, you are terrified of fighting her
D: HOLY CRAP LAZERZ!!!!
E: she has the most addicting music ever
F: she has the most and best spell cards
G: her battle lasts forever but never gets boring or frustrating
H: she has a whole bunch of references built into her and her spells, to obscure mythology and books
I: her design is just great alltogether

Last edited:

SirRob

I agree with Clyde_Dale, Kefka's definately the best, although I think that he surpasses the Joker due to the fact that Kefka actually achieves his goal and ends up ruling the world. :3

Molotov

I should go.
Jet Black from Viewtiful Joe 2. Hassling fight to me, especially when it began, eesh.
(that damn) Elephant from RE: Outbreak: File #2. Was like the new Nemesis, which scared the hell out of me. Even if you did not kill it early in the level, you still have to as a boss. I learn the hard way, XD.
Alma and Ishtaros from Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma. Alma's speedy and kills easily; Ishtaros's tricky and has a damn whip. Need I go on?
Mr. X from RE: 2. The O.G. Nemesis before number three hit the shelves.

Guess that is all I can come up with.

WhiteLion0089

Well, heres what I think that were some pretty memorable bosses.
Psycho Mantis- Metal Gear Solid: He was more fun to fight than he was hard. I've never seen a boss before able to read your memory card and tell you what you play also screw with your T.V. during the fight. Also having to beat him by plugging in your controller to the 2nd port, if you don't he can read your every motions. Very cool!
Singing Poo Monster- Conker: Live and reloaded: Come on, a singing poo monster while you're trying to shove toliet paper down his mouth to beat him? That's pretty original. lol
Darth Traya- Star Wars: KOTOR II: Always the smart, cryptic woman we all know and love in KOTOR 2. She was able to use some force techniques that a friend and I thought up of and it was cool fighting someone who used our ideas. :p Can't go wrong with that.
Judges- FFXII: The high and mighty judges in FFXII were fairly annoying, but other than that, pretty darn cool to fight.
Organization XIII- Kingdom Hearts 2: Fighting this entire group had very cool battle scenes that I wouldn't forget. I think one guy was dual-wielding needlers in one fight. lol

WhiteHowl

Procrastination is cool~*
I agree with Clyde_Dale, Kefka's definately the best, although I think that he surpasses the Joker due to the fact that Kefka actually achieves his goal and ends up ruling the world. :3
Kefka and Joker stand as equals. Joker may never win, but he never gets killed now does he?

Still the laugh and his sheer evil makes him the most awesome FF villain in history (feel free to deny this, but remember he became god, he destroyed the world, and recreated it in his image all while doing it in mad clown facepaint)

Alblaka

Restless and lonely Dragon
Well, heres what I think that were some pretty memorable bosses.
Psycho Mantis- Metal Gear Solid: He was more fun to fight than he was hard. I've never seen a boss before able to read your memory card and tell you what you play also screw with your T.V. during the fight. Also having to beat him by plugging in your controller to the 2nd port, if you don't he can read your every motions. Very cool!

To be seroius he didn't used the memory card or something. He simply get the ability to react without time at all your actions during the controller was in port 1 ^^
But he was cool...

If i should chose the most difficult boss i've ever fighten:
Meta-Ridley from Metroid Prime. I needed at least around 10 trys to kill him...
(by the way, i'm a pro-console-gamer so i've never needed more then 2 trys fpor each other boss...)
I tried my best, but it was luck, whether you could escape his attacks, when he get's angry. To inform you, Meta-Ridley is kinda Peteranadon... With Missiles, an ultimate Bomb Thrower and Laser Breath o_O
But funny the final boss (which came after this one, was really easy ^^ and the second part of it was more easy XD)

Azul_Wulfreig

Hm, my Top 5 would be...

5. Tabuu (SSBB)
- His input in the storyline was small and huge at the same time, and he had the ability to one-hit as well as teleport.

4. Chaos(FFI)
- He proved that the weakest usually go unoticed till the very end, and the transformation from a fallen, lowly villian to a time-travelling beast was pretty suprising.

3. Beatrix (FFIX)
- Even though she clearly made up for the past, battles with Beatrix seemed incredibly majestic, and even though you wanted to come out on top, she always had the upper hand.

2. Ozma(FFIX)
- The SuperBoss of FFIX delivered the toughest blows, and countered with atracks like Doomsday & Curse. Then, he'd cure himself whilst the party tries frantically to recover. Even on Lv. 99, he had the utmost difficulty.

1. Necron(FFIX)
- He wasn't Kuja nor Garland, and he clearly made his point by striking fear towards most; almost as tall as a tower, with attacks that were formed by the pinnacle of the twp moons. He was the Judgement Day for all those that opposed him, and even through his defeat, he was never truly gone.

Last edited:

Mikael Grizzly

Creepy Stalker
Kreia, Richard Grey and The Transcendent One.

Kreia for the brilliance of her character, design and the size of her can of whoopass she opens, for instance, effortlessly control three lightsabers just with her mind.

Richard Grey, the Master of Supermutants is a boss you can defeat in three ways, each tailored to a specific style of play. One includes not facing him at all!

Last, the Transcendent One. Planescape: Torment people, not going to spoil him, go and play!:)

HyPerRifiC

Master of nothing!
Glados from portal, she may not be the hardest boss but it was the best boss iv'e ever had the pleasure of defeating.

~secret~

Banned
Banned
Ridley - Super Metroid
The End - MGS3
Dark Demon - Dynamite Headdy

To this day I still have trouble with these guys, if I cant beat them without smashing the controller off the walls a few times then they must be good.

Ruiisu

Ganondorf in legend of zelda ocarina of time, I hated his damn little balls of light that you had to reflect back at him with the pothetic master sword. And then he would turn giant....damn what next?

And andross from Starfox is also another memorable boss, I hated how he alway spit his damn astroids at you.

other than that there was really no memorable boss for me.