• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

better at making an furry

dahbastard

Well, what do you need help with? I think you should be more specific.

I guess you could start by posting some work, and getting feedback.

Otherwise, here are general tips, without knowing anything about you:
  1. Break things down. This is very important. Many artists (such as me) tend to bite off more than they can chew, and then get overwhelmed by all the things they can't draw correctly. So, be methodical. Pick one thing you are not good at, and draw it over and over and over again, until you feel confident in your abilities. If you find you just can't get it right, break it down even further, and repeat the process with a sub element. An example would be hands. They might simply be too difficult for you, so draw individual fingers and get them right, instead. Or instead of that, draw a stick figure hand and keep drawing it until all the fingers seem to be in the right positions, and then flesh this stick figure hand out.
  2. Trace. This is not an opportunity to show how skilled you are. Instead, this is an opportunity to become familiar with the subject matter. After you have traced a bit, try drawing the thing you traced independently. That being said, don't let tracing become a crutch.
  3. Don't trace. Pick reference images, and try to reproduce them free-hand.
  4. Learn the rules of perspective. Start with isometric perspective, and draw some objects in that way. Then learn one point, or even two point.
  5. Learn to draw humans well, especially faces, and hands. This might seem counterintuitive, but anthro characters wear human expressions and make human gestures.
  6. Learn how to draw realistic animal heads.
  7. Once you know how to draw a realistic animal head, start adding anthro features to it.
  8. Pick a few artists you admire with different styles. Pay attention to how they draw things. Don't be afraid to copy their style in a drawing, but I recommend mentioning any artist whose style you copy as an inspiration in the description of the drawing.
  9. Study body language. By learning how humans communicate through body language, you will have better good idea of how to translate that into animal faces.
  10. Train yourself to draw symmetrically. Flip the image you are drawing and make sure that it still looks fine flipped. Add symmetry lines as guides in your drawings.
  11. Learn character design principles. This includes shape theory, color theory, fashion principles, and how they communicate who your character is. A rule of thumb, you should be able to distinguish the character by silhouette, and by color palette. Of course, there are exceptions.
  12. Don't focus on being original. Focus on being appealing. Originality will follow.
  13. Pick time to practice, and time to have fun. If all you do is practice all the time, if you're like me, it will become drudgery. Give yourself the gift of drawing something you are completely comfortable with from time to time.
I hope this helps.

Well, what do you need help with? I think you should be more specific.

I guess you could start by posting some work, and getting feedback.

Otherwise, here are general tips, without knowing anything about you:
  1. Break things down. This is very important. Many artists (such as me) tend to bite off more than they can chew, and then get overwhelmed by all the things they can't draw correctly. So, be methodical. Pick one thing you are not good at, and draw it over and over and over again, until you feel confident in your abilities. If you find you just can't get it right, break it down even further, and repeat the process with a sub element. An example would be hands. They might simply be too difficult for you, so draw individual fingers and get them right, instead. Or instead of that, draw a stick figure hand and keep drawing it until all the fingers seem to be in the right positions, and then flesh this stick figure hand out.
  2. Trace. This is not an opportunity to show how skilled you are. Instead, this is an opportunity to become familiar with the subject matter. After you have traced a bit, try drawing the thing you traced independently. That being said, don't let tracing become a crutch.
  3. Don't trace. Pick reference images, and try to reproduce them free-hand.
  4. Learn the rules of perspective. Start with isometric perspective, and draw some objects in that way. Then learn one point, or even two point.
  5. Learn to draw humans well, especially faces, and hands. This might seem counterintuitive, but anthro characters wear human expressions and make human gestures.
  6. Learn how to draw realistic animal heads.
  7. Once you know how to draw a realistic animal head, start adding anthro features to it.
  8. Pick a few artists you admire with different styles. Pay attention to how they draw things. Don't be afraid to copy their style in a drawing, but I recommend mentioning any artist whose style you copy as an inspiration in the description of the drawing.
  9. Study body language. By learning how humans communicate through body language, you will have better good idea of how to translate that into animal faces.
  10. Train yourself to draw symmetrically. Flip the image you are drawing and make sure that it still looks fine flipped. Add symmetry lines as guides in your drawings.
  11. Learn character design principles. This includes shape theory, color theory, fashion principles, and how they communicate who your character is. A rule of thumb, you should be able to distinguish the character by silhouette, and by color palette. Of course, there are exceptions.
  12. Don't focus on being original. Focus on being appealing. Originality will follow.
  13. Pick time to practice, and time to have fun. If all you do is practice all the time, if you're like me, it will become drudgery. Give yourself the gift of drawing something you are completely comfortable with from time to time.
I hope this helps.
thank you mate this will cleary help me

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I'm in the Sonic fandom, so I do OC style. i do want to branch out but eh, my style is more dark and thus I need to find an anthro style that's serious.