• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site Better search/browsing functionality?

As far as I can tell, searching has two pieces of syntax: @keywords which returns posts with the keywords specified and "-xyz" which doesn't show posts with "xyz" in either the title, description, or tags. This is all well and good, but it doesn't apply to the other fields such as species or category. Right now, it feels like I sift though a lot of entries manually just find art that I like. It would be nice if the search also used those extra fields, and if the search functionality was just more documented in general.

There may be more @'s that I'm not aware of (the site uses Mongo/Mongoose? Searching for other @'s give a querry error/says no field found in schema) and if so I must stress again that documentation would be great.

As it is now, searching feels almost useless as still end up sifting through massive amounts of irrelevant entries to find things that I like. I'm not asking for something drastic like a whole search syntax revamp, just extending the query to ALL the fields by default would be nice.

Stratelier

It seems like @ is used to directly reference specific columns in the search database, such as "@lower" identifying a specific username (converted to lowercase).

Otherwise, the main problem is that Browse and Search are, in fact, separate database tables and certain fields (like Species and Gender) are only indexed in one or the other.

It seems like @ is used to directly reference specific columns in the search database, such as "@lower" identifying a specific username (converted to lowercase).

Otherwise, the main problem is that Browse and Search are, in fact, separate database tables and certain fields (like Species and Gender) are only indexed in one or the other.
Any idea why that is? Seems like such a strange design choice.