• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

BILLY MAYES IS DEAD!DX

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jelly

If you're talking about the Catholic Church's acceptance of Evolution and modern Science.....then that's the only "liberal" (according to your definition of liberal) thing they've done.

I actually meant "liberal" as in lenient towards personal beliefs and practices. Very little is unifying between Catholics aside from the religious rites (which most Catholics never finish in full), ritual space (church), and recognition of a few of the traditional Christian holy days (Lent, Easter, and Christmas).

I

Ishnuvalok

*shakes head* Invalid analogies are invalid. A more valid analogy would be saying that Nazis from America today are just as bad as Nazis from Germany in WW2.

If you want more recent...how about the fact that the Catholic church keeps documents away from the public and won't release them because they might make the church look bad. Or the whole having people killed for speaking against their beliefs throughout the whole history of the church? They've always been so liberal.

And instead of removing the priests that rape kids from the Church and letting them go on trial instead they just pay off the family to keep them quiet and relocate said priest.

J

Jelly

*shakes head* Invalid analogies are invalid. A more valid analogy would be saying that Nazis from America today are just as bad as Nazis from Germany in WW2.
Yes, my point was people that claim affiliation with a group today are not held accountable to things that happened in its distant history. You have to consider context.
If you want more recent...how about the fact that the Catholic church keeps documents away from the public and won't release them because they might make the church look bad.
Every institution seeks to protect itself. This isn't unusual. Look at governments and other religions.

Jashwa said:
Or the whole having people killed for speaking against their beliefs throughout the whole history of the church? They've always been so liberal.

Again.
The Catholics of today are not held by the practices of Catholics back then.

I

Ishnuvalok

ITS A HITMAN VINCE IS NEXT!!!!!

No Vince is the one that killed Michael Jackson and Billy Mays with his deathnote.

Michael Jackson raped Vince when he was a kid and he's seeking revenge and Billy Mays is his biggest rival.

J

Jelly

"All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping," MyFox Tampa Bay quoted him as saying. "It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

Buccura

I go by Bucky Seifert now
Yes, my point was people that claim affiliation with a group today are not held accountable to things that happened in its distant history. You have to consider context.

Every institution seeks to protect itself. This isn't unusual. Look at governments and other religions.

Again.

How the FUCK does this go from talking about Billy Mayes' death to a religious debate?!

I

Ishnuvalok

Oh, sure the Nazi's of Germany killed millions of Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, mentally handicapped etc etc.

But I'm not like that! I'm a GOOD Nazi!

*Edit*

Fuck this, this is about Billy Mays.

Shànwàng

Lavender Scented
"All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping," MyFox Tampa Bay quoted him as saying. "It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

I wouldn't be surprised if an autopsy showed he died from the same thing Natasha Richardson did.

Jashwa

Again.
Except that the Germans in general=\=the German fascist government. That's why it was invalid. If the German government claimed to be the next Hitler-esque regime, then yes it would be valid.

It being common doesn't make it right. In fact, since they've always been doing it and everyone else is doing it, doesn't that make it conservative rather than liberal?

The Catholics, as in the general people that practice catholicism can't, but the ruling body can because it has barely changed since then. It's still trying to take control of things it shouldn't be controlling, such as government and legislature in other countries. Still trying to force people to follow their morals and beliefs, just like back with the crusades. Except now, since killing people is frowned upon, they try to get laws passed in accordance with their beliefs. I'm faulting the church, not the people.

Last edited:
J

Jelly

And instead of removing the priests that rape kids from the Church and letting them go on trial instead they just pay off the family to keep them quiet and relocate said priest.

The Diocese is at fault for their priests and their ineffectiveness in making sure their priests weren't molesting children, and I don't consider it amoral for them to pay the cost of the ruination they've delivered as an organization.

Dreltox

Everyone likes men. EVERYONE.
He saw Dragoneers link of the day post yesterday and thought the furries would get him. So he committed suicide.

J

Jelly

It being common doesn't make it right. In fact, since they've always been doing it and everyone else is doing it, doesn't that make it conservative rather than liberal?

I think you understand my basic point about the concerns of temporal context, so I'm not going to keep mincing that German example. Suffice to say, if you take anyone out of context and then proclaim that they should be judged for past grievances, then that's not a good way to consider human beings and their beliefs.

I don't understand what you mean by that quote, though. "It" being common? I'm just saying that Catholics are one of the most liberal sects of Christianity. Very few top them, and they're the largest group with the most liberal ideology.

PS: To my knowledge, it is almost always Protestants and Baptists that seek to change law.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jashwa

I think you understand my basic point about the concerns of temporal context, so I'm not going to keep mincing that German example. Suffice to say, if you take anyone out of context and then proclaim that they should be judged for past grievances, then that's not a good way to consider human beings and their beliefs.

I don't understand what you mean by that quote, though. "It" being common? I'm just saying that Catholics are one of the most liberal sects of Christianity. Very few top them, and they're the largest group with the most liberal ideology.

PS: To my knowledge, it is almost always Protestants that seek to change law.

^That's what I was referencing with the it part.

Maybe it is and I'm mistaken. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert.

J

Jelly

^That's what I was referencing with the it part.

Maybe it is and I'm mistaken. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert.

Oh, I see.
Well, I think we're a little off-track where the "liberal" comes into play.
I wasn't saying that the church wasn't corrupt.
I was saying that the beliefs of Catholics are liberal amongst Christian sects. I thought it weird to be placed right next to a Baptist group (and one with a number of vendettas against the state and US society).

Jashwa

Oh, I see.
I was saying that the beliefs of Catholics are liberal amongst Christian sects. I thought it weird to be placed right next to a Baptist group (and one with a number of vendettas against the state and US society).
I'll agree on the Catholic peoples as a whole, they're not at fault here. I was under the assumption, in the beginning atleast, that we were both talking about the Catholic church.

Damn, he was 50 as well? Talk about creepy coincidences.

I

Ishnuvalok

Oh, I see.

I wasn't comparing it or putting it next to the Westboro Baptist Church, I was just saying that's the church I hate more than the Catholic Church. :\

Levels of haet /=/ comparing.

J

Jelly

I'll agree on the Catholic peoples as a whole, they're not at fault here. I was under the assumption, in the beginning atleast, that we were both talking about the Catholic church.

We were. But even so, the beliefs of the overall Church are very liberal when compared to a number of other churches in Christianity.
And so, the pairing with WBC is a little weird.

J

Jelly

I wasn't comparing it or putting it next to the Westboro Baptist Church, I was just saying that's the church I hate more than the Catholic Church. :\

Levels of haet /=/ comparing.

Yeah, I know. I just thought it was jarring putting the two together.
Like, "there's no group I hate more than Liberals, except Conservatives."
Which is an acceptable statement. It's just kind of weird.

I was trying to get you to explain.

And then it snowballed from your views about Catholicism being not liberal, and me trying to explain what I meant by the Catholic Church being liberal. I think you probably thought Liberal off the bat, not liberal in their beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.