• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Biomutant Game

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Has anyone seen much about this game yet? Looks like a furry game that might be interesting!

FoxWithAName

Still new only older
I am currently watching a review on it, the overall theme is: It tries everything and can not hold to its expectations, but I will give it a try myself because I like the premise.

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
I am currently watching a review on it, the overall theme is: It tries everything and can not hold to its expectations, but I will give it a try myself because I like the premise.
So Cyberpunk 2077? Here I've avoided a lot of the marketing like I did with Cyberpunk (beyond trailers really), so I go in without any high expectations. I was one of the few people who didn't dislike Cyberpunk because I wasn't expected the second coming of Christ. I figure the same will happen here.

FoxWithAName

Still new only older
@Ziggy Schlacht interesting approach, I completly fall for the Cyberpunk hype, because I LOVE the P&P. I like the game also for what it is, and had a lot of fun playing it and getting sucked into the world. I enjoyed and did all side quest because the character development was awesome, my favorite was the story with the detective.

But for Biomutant what I saw that their introduce something cool and then did not develop it further, but as I said when I got a bit of air I will try it, I am currently playing Spiritfarer and it so good but also so hard for me to play that I need a break like every 30 minutes.

Ziggy Schlacht

I mean, Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War are effectively the same game twice over (and then twice over within themselves) and the entire concept is "kill Orc." They lack real depth, but are somehow very entertaining because the concept itself (raise an army) is pretty strong.

Biomutant can be entertaining without being anywhere near GotY. And if it flops, well, I've spent more money on worse.

FoxWithAName

Still new only older
I never got into these games, but I heard a lot of cool things about the unique nemesis system, but I remembered that the second part was not very good, because of poor decisions (In-game purchases), but I did not fact check it ^^'.

Ziggy Schlacht

I never got into these games, but I heard a lot of cool things about the unique nemesis system, but I remembered that the second part was not very good, because of poor decisions (In-game purchases), but I did not fact check it ^^'.
They removed them after a year because of the hate. But the nemesis system was like you explained here - a good, novel concept that wasn't explored fully. If an orc killed you, they leveled up, got stronger. If you killed an orc, sometimes they'd survive and you had to kill them again. They'd often show signs of injury from the previous defeats, or even changes in name and similar depending on how they died. So Ukbuk the Cruel might become Ukbuk the Burnt and then Ukbuk the Undying. However, in practice, it didn't effect game play - it was an orc that needed to die - in an appreciable way. It ended up entirely flavor.

Thus a novel concept not fully explored. However, doing so would've been hard within the constraints of an open world game - it was trying to apply linear game style to an open world and fell short.

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
As I'm really visually driven, the aesthetic is just gorgeous to me. I'm really a fan of the motifs where nature reclaims man-made structures. I would probably play it solely to be able to walk around in the environment.

The only thing I'm disappointed about from what I've seen is that it does not offer co-op. I think it would be a lot of fun to go on this journey with another person. But oh well.

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
To me personally this game may have good aesthetics, but with a 500NOK+ price tag I expected better reviews than what it currently have at 48%. Note: I very rarely touch any game that don't have a 70% review rate or higher, especially one with this price tag. My time, patience and money are all limited and I have no intention of wasting any of those on sub-standard products.

But if people want to buy it and try it out I am not going to stop you.

1621970474848.png

Maur

Based Imperial Scum
I'm a sale opportunist so I'll most likely grab it when it's 70% - 80% off. I have no idea what it's about or how the gameplay is - I think it looks nice and that's it.

Totally not hoarding Steam games that I never play, nononono.

Ziggy Schlacht

It's the same price in the US @Yakamaru. Basically just default price for a new game. Well, current conversion says you paid $0.14 (1.17 NOK) more than me. Big savings right there. It's also only been available since 1:00 PM BST yesterday, so I doubt many, if any of the reviews finished it. That being said, the initial impression is probably sufficient on how the game will play out.

Initial Impression (1.5 hour play time, 20 minutes on the character creator):
I had really no idea what I was getting into, other than a friend of mine really liked playing it at PAX way back and was super excited. I'd watched a trailer or two, looked at pictures and that was about as far as I'd followed. I knew your selection of attributes effected how your character looked, and that combat was split with guns and knives.

Visuals - It looks good. Colors are bright. Characters are unique. Animations are superb. There's little things here and there than says "indie game" - some oddly low poly models next to good ones, mild animation issues, etc. However, the studio (ignoring the publisher) is 18 people, so you can kinda expect that. CD Projekt Red couldn't get it right. The entire game doesn't feel like it's been nuetered for broad appeal - you'll either like the aesthetic, or you won't. Aside from the occasional weirdness, the overall model quality, fur rendering, grass and so on is very good.

That being said, with most main stream games able to have hundred of NPCs just milling about, this game lacks that. Feels much more like an upgraphic'd N64 game in terms of total NPCs and how the environment is laid out. That may have been intentional, this is supposed to be near the apocalypse. And it may have been an intentional throwback. Or I just haven't made it to a city - game had no issue throwing 10+ combatants on the screen.

Story - man broke nature, man left, nature took over, nature still fighting man's disaster, choose the world's destiny. Definitely story serves game, not game serves story. Effectively, there's enough to know your motivations, but it's not going to win an award. Seeing as Mario is still going on Bowser kidnaps Peach -> Mario save Peach this isn't a bad thing.

Voice acting - so when you start the game, you're given 10 or so language options. This, I imagine, dictates the language spoken for the entire game. Which is nice, you're not limited to just the main western languages. However, as best I can tell, there's only one actual voice actor, who narrates the entire game. Voice acting from the characters is limited to muffled gibberish, and the narrator chimes in with "He's telling you that he knew your mooma, and that she was strong" and similar. So instead of fully voicing every piece of dialogue, things get summarized like you're playing DnD with the occasional real line too.

Combat - Combat is fast, slick and generally well put together. Melee and ranged flow together (even if guns are superior balance wise) - you can throw a sword combo in the middle of a gun fight without awkward weapon switching. There's fighting game style combos and various comic-book feel abilities. Gun play isn't chest high wall BS, it's more lightweight and autoaim allows you to keep moving and dodging and rolling while shooting. This isn't a "Look down sites and carefully line up shots" it's "spray and pray." Couple that with comic book sound effects projected on screen like "boom" and "ka-pow" and it's a nicer refresher from every other shooter out there.

Controls a little wonky mapped to keyboard as well as the controller, but can be remapped. Dodge is by default bound to Alt, which is a bit weird if you ask me.

Summary
Vibe - A super violent kids cartoon
Rating - Worth getting on sale, not a waste to pay full price, game is carried by its looks over anything else

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
It's the same price in the US @Yakamaru. Basically just default price for a new game. Well, current conversion says you paid $0.14 (1.17 NOK) more than me. Big savings right there. It's also only been available since 1:00 PM BST yesterday, so I doubt many, if any of the reviews finished it. That being said, the initial impression is probably sufficient on how the game will play out.
The game is sitting at 660 NOK, or pretty much $80, which is a lot of money. Can easily get food for 2-3 weeks depending on how you spend them. And to me at least this is not a price justified for what you are getting, looking at the 57% review rating, which is up 9% from my last post.

Ziggy Schlacht

The game is sitting at 660 NOK, or pretty much $80, which is a lot of money. Can easily get food for 2-3 weeks depending on how you spend them. And to me at least this is not a price justified for what you are getting, looking at the 57% review rating, which is up 9% from my last post.
Huh, gotta love that VAT I guess?

D

Deleted member 144185

So Cyberpunk 2077? Here I've avoided a lot of the marketing like I did with Cyberpunk (beyond trailers really), so I go in without any high expectations. I was one of the few people who didn't dislike Cyberpunk because I wasn't expected the second coming of Christ. I figure the same will happen here.
Yeah overhyped video game marketing has become a serious problem for video game industry in general.

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
Huh, gotta love that VAT I guess?
More like the normal price to expect for a game over here in due time. The average price for a AAA release is already at 500+ NOK, or $60+. And at this kind of price your expectations in terms of polish and game quality one would think it's top tier, but alas. Bought too many games that were at best sub-standard in terms of quality that have been hyped up only to be a huge stinking flop, and is the biggest reason I never pre-order/purchase. Not going to buy a product before it's even done. Unless it's a game that have a lot of potential like Valheim.

Yeah overhyped video game marketing has become a serious problem for video game industry in general.
Overhyped, overpriced, lack of polish, lack of bug fixes.. The list is long. One of the reasons I don't buy any game before actual gamers get their hands on the product and do a review, brutally honestly so.

Ziggy Schlacht

More like the normal price to expect for a game over here in due time. The average price for a AAA release is already at 500+ NOK, or $60+. And at this kind of price your expectations in terms of polish and game quality one would think it's top tier, but alas. Bought too many games that were at best sub-standard in terms of quality that have been hyped up only to be a huge stinking flop, and is the biggest reason I never pre-order/purchase. Not going to buy a product before it's even done. Unless it's a game that have a lot of potential like Valheim.
Not sure why you're so hard set on defending this. I'm not disagreeing with you, and my review didn't say this was worth the $60 unless you wanted to play it now. My comment was more based in the fact I thought it was odd you were ranting it was $60 because that's the price of a big studio game. I was surprised something published by THQ Nordic and a Swedish company would be $20 more in Norway.

---------

When it comes to overhype, I don't think that falls on the developers. That one's on gamers - Cyberpunk could've been bug free, completely, and folks still would've been disappointed because CDProjektRed is some sort of messiah company. They forget that the Witcher 1 was terrible, Witcher 2 forgettable, and no one played the Witcher 3 until 6 months or so after it's release when everyone realized it was good. I remember people going "Why the hell do we need another game, the first two sucked." And now some of the things the Witcher established are common, so a release now would not have been as profound. In other words, folks put way, way too high expectations on CDProjektRed and straight up ignored that a pandemic occured during the final stretch of the release. Being upset was on the gamers.

As far as bugs, I find stability issues on consoles generally unacceptable - you know the hardware, no reason you can't design to it. On PC's, it's less frustrating to me. While there's one hardware configuration for consoles, for PC's it's basically infinite. Even 1000 testers with carefully selected rigs won't cover all of the permutations. They can only get so good, and the larger and more complex a game the more issues you'll have. Not to mention that many issues are client side, not game side - keep your drivers up to date and let your computer cool off folks. Incidental issues are annoying, but anyone who's gone from development to production on anything knows that in the end, you can't catch everything. That being said, CDProjektRed could've done a better job, but 6 months later they got there. See Witcher 3.

When it comes to "polish" - a wonderfully subjective term - there's only so much that be done within the time constraints that we apparently have decided developers have to meet. Delays are not allowed, we are owed the game and we are owed it now and it must be perfect. The thing is. developers actually do their best. Let's go back to Cyberpunk2077 - I maintain that was some of the best gun play in a game I've played. No awkward needing to "stick" to cover or weird button combinations and contextual BS - the game just worked out what your character wanted to do and got it right. Augments were well integrated and useful. As an FPS coming from a company that had never done one, it was amazing. They took the time to polish what mattered - the combat, at the expense of other things perhaps, but no one seemed to pay attention to this when they say polish. A game could get the core loop perfect, and be greatly entertaining, but the menu is clunky and suddenly "they didn't polish it enough."

------------

When it comes to Biomutant, to drag this back on topic, I think people had different expectations of what the game was going to be over what it was. It's not that it's bad, it's I think folks didn't get what they had decided it was. It seems lots of folks thought it was multiplayer, which I think is odd, because that was never stated. I think they also expected non-stop action, which isn't there, but *shrug.* They did release an unedited game play video, so you can't say you didn't see it coming.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
Not sure why you're so hard set on defending this. I'm not disagreeing with you, and my review didn't say this was worth the $60 unless you wanted to play it now. My comment was more based in the fact I thought it was odd you were ranting it was $60 because that's the price of a big studio game. I was surprised something published by THQ Nordic and a Swedish company would be $20 more in Norway.

---------

When it comes to overhype, I don't think that falls on the developers. That one's on gamers - Cyberpunk could've been bug free, completely, and folks still would've been disappointed because CDProjektRed is some sort of messiah company. They forget that the Witcher 1 was terrible, Witcher 2 forgettable, and no one played the Witcher 3 until 6 months or so after it's release when everyone realized it was good. I remember people going "Why the hell do we need another game, the first two sucked." And now some of the things the Witcher established are common, so a release now would not have been as profound. In other words, folks put way, way too high expectations on CDProjektRed and straight up ignored that a pandemic occured during the final stretch of the release. Being upset was on the gamers.

As far as bugs, I find stability issues on consoles generally unacceptable - you know the hardware, no reason you can't design to it. On PC's, it's less frustrating to me. While there's one hardware configuration for consoles, for PC's it's basically infinite. Even 1000 testers with carefully selected rigs won't cover all of the permutations. They can only get so good, and the larger and more complex a game the more issues you'll have. Not to mention that many issues are client side, not game side - keep your drivers up to date and let your computer cool off folks. Incidental issues are annoying, but anyone who's gone from development to production on anything knows that in the end, you can't catch everything. That being said, CDProjektRed could've done a better job, but 6 months later they got there. See Witcher 3.

When it comes to "polish" - a wonderfully subjective term - there's only so much that be done within the time constraints that we apparently have decided developers have to meet. Delays are not allowed, we are owed the game and we are owed it now and it must be perfect. The thing is. developers actually do their best. Let's go back to Cyberpunk2077 - I maintain that was some of the best gun play in a game I've played. No awkward needing to "stick" to cover or weird button combinations and contextual BS - the game just worked out what your character wanted to do and got it right. Augments were well integrated and useful. As an FPS coming from a company that had never done one, it was amazing. They took the time to polish what mattered - the combat, at the expense of other things perhaps, but no one seemed to pay attention to this when they say polish. A game could get the core loop perfect, and be greatly entertaining, but the menu is clunky and suddenly "they didn't polish it enough."

------------

When it comes to Biomutant, to drag this back on topic, I think people had different expectations of what the game was going to be over what it was. It's not that it's bad, it's I think folks didn't get what they had decided it was. It seems lots of folks thought it was multiplayer, which I think is odd, because that was never stated. I think they also expected non-stop action, which isn't there, but *shrug.* They did release an unedited game play video, so you can't say you didn't see it coming.

I'm going to be honest, I didn't expect much from this game at all. In the Modern Age, I never expect good reviews for media with anthropomorphic or non-human characters. Back when the beta was released, people here were telling me how much more amazing Horizon zero Dawn was (...and I really ****ing hate Horizon Zero Dawn tbh), so that didn't help if not even furries were behind this (then again, furries here never seem to talk about anything furry related).

But you know what? I would rather have a mediocre game that exudes so much charm into it's ecosystem and so much diversity into its characters than an "amazing game" who's idea of making a quote-unquote relatable character is to make all of the good guys humans and to make every living creature look evil in comparison. Theme gameplay footage of this game, I can't really comment on the gameplay, but it has so much variety and a charm that I've just been begging for in modern media. I'm almost drawn in just because of that, and I don't care if the reviews aren't that great. Yeah, that price tag is going to keep me from buying it anytime soon, but I would sooner buy this game then most of modern media. Very few companies seem to want to make games that are deeper than humans=good/everything else=bad.

That being said, I don't think overhyping is the only problem. I think another big problem is simply the fact this game Stars anthropomorphic animals and not humans. Apparently, people hate that. I remember one time I was advertising a book I was wtiting down at another form, and people complained about the book because it didn't star humans. Even when I find myself complaining that a game only has generic human-sue characters, Legions of people are defending that and telling me why the characters absolutely NEED to be human-sues and can't be anything else. Yet I see so many smaller games at least try to have a unique and diverse roster of characters, and most of them are obscure (Shiness and Earthlock come to mind). It seems like the only way I can find interesting games anymore is to actively search for them myself, because no one wants to make them apparent.

All in all, I can honestly say I expected this game to fail miserably, and that my expectations were extremely low because games I want to succeed never do. (Aslo, Witcher 3, IMO, could have been a good idea, but it ended up being the misanthropic game that doesn't want to be misanthropic.)

Last edited:

Kyrick

I only came across this via a YouTube ad (hey they got something right at last)
I'm definitely interested in this, but i'll be waiting until it's on some sort of sale or more content is added. From what I hear, it just feels 'incomplete' or 'unfinished'

Baalf

I only came across this via a YouTube ad (hey they got something right at last)
I'm definitely interested in this, but i'll be waiting until it's on some sort of sale or more content is added. From what I hear, it just feels 'incomplete' or 'unfinished'

To be fair, it's not too late for them to polish up some of the rough edges and add some more content.

oappo

Game definitely caught my attention thanks to it's graphics. Sadly, the consensus seems to be less than good.

Biomutant seems like one of those games that'll sit on my wishlist for a year or two. Where I'll wait until it's finally polished/complete or there's a sizeable sale.

Ziggy Schlacht

So, I've finished it. Took about 50 hours, could've easily spent more (10 hours?) time but wanted to move on. I'd found ~90% of the locations and had found everything in ~80% of them. I still had an assortment of quests to do.

I won't call this game unfinished. The world is full of life (my initial impression of low NPC counts was the result of the start of the game), it's interesting to look and random things will grab your attention and you'll entirely forget what your doing. Weapons tend to look absurd, and you end up dressing like a 5 year old by way of Burning Man. There is no overstating the visual charm and unique nature to the game. They make an effort to take the power of modern graphics and turn it into something interesting. I will remember the look of this game well after I've forgotten Cyberpunk.

The biggest issue with the game, and why people consider it unfinished, is there's a ton to do... but not a huge reason to do it. They did too much, versus not enough, which ended up spreading it thin. There's twing-twangers, ring-dingers, mind-monitors, ping-dishes and smoke-whistlers (one of those is made up) galor, spread all over the map. Every single place you come across has things to find. There's quests galor. The game does not want for content, but what it wants for is a reason to do it. Finding all the twing-twangers gets you a twing-twang to turn into a weapon, sure, but by that point you probably have better. You'll endlessly chase "superb loot" bins, but rarely find something that's an improvement. There's exploration for exploration's sake yes, but so what? There's not necessarily a ton to be gained from it.

And that's what I think is the fundamental problem with the game. It's too broad, does too much, and fails to deliver. There's a million things to do, but they're all pretty average in quality. Nothing is particularly bad, nothing is particularly good, it's all just average. Had they focused more on crafting a story, even at a shorter play time, I think the game would have been significantly better. Clearly they had talent, and knew how to make a game, they just didn't know how to focus it. Funny part is, had this game come out in 2015 or so, it would have been a strong contender for GotY. The quality of it just doesn't match what we've come to expect.

To that end, I eagerly await Biomutant 2, which I imagine will fix a lot of these gripes.

---

As far "is it worth getting?" goes - my assessment after 1.5 hours of play time and after 50 is the same. It's not a waste to pay full price, but unless you want something to play now, wait until a sale.

Ratt Carry

I remember being interested in this one when it was shown off and then by the time it finally came out, I got sick to death of this tired ass genre.
Based on what I hear consistently about it, I'm not missing much of anything.

Baalf

I remember being interested in this one when it was shown off and then by the time it finally came out, I got sick to death of this tired ass genre.
Based on what I hear consistently about it, I'm not missing much of anything.

At least it TRIED to do something new with it. And yet, people seem to want the same usual human-only protagonists, dragon villains, pets that can ONLY be a cat, dog or horse and nothing else, a world devoid of charm because it's nothing more than a sandbox for humans and not a unique and interesting bio system filled with life that matters, etc. Plus, anytime anyone tries anything different, it usually fails, so we get more and more of the same.

Honestly, it feels that there isn't much left in AAA gaming. Even in indie gaming, although a LOT more varied, still often finds itself dominated by cliche (forgot what it was called, but I remember a generic FPS with nothing unique aside from it starring dwarves (which are still just short humans) beat out a lot of more creative games for an award), but it is still a vast improvement.

Ratt Carry

At least it TRIED to do something new with it. And yet, people seem to want the same usual human-only protagonists, dragon villains, pets that can ONLY be a cat, dog or horse and nothing else, a world devoid of charm because it's nothing more than a sandbox for humans and not a unique and interesting bio system filled with life that matters, etc. Plus, anytime anyone tries anything different, it usually fails, so we get more and more of the same.

Honestly, it feels that there isn't much left in AAA gaming. Even in indie gaming, although a LOT more varied, still often finds itself dominated by cliche (forgot what it was called, but I remember a generic FPS with nothing unique aside from it starring dwarves (which are still just short humans) beat out a lot of more creative games for an award), but it is still a vast improvement.
I dont really care what I'm playing as if the things you do are boring, copy/pasted busy work where you meander about an unchanging, bland world. The flat aimlessness of these open world games with a distinct, intentional lack of dynamic, layered progression is what bothers me to death.

Im just so...tired of it.