• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Biomutant Game

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
I dont really care what I'm playing as if the things you do are boring, copy/pasted busy work where you meander about an unchanging, bland world. The flat aimlessness of these open world games with a distinct, intentional lack of dynamic, layered progression is what bothers me to death.

Im just so...tired of it.
How many games even are like that.

Also what, the world itself is the big thing I like about the game. It feels like there's all this diversity to the life on the planet, and they don't all just exist for you to kill or fight. I know I say that a lot, but I'm really just sick of seeing that in Media.

Ratt Carry

How many games even are like that.
The modern open world game, you mean? And I do stress the word modern as I'm aware open world is not new. It's the staple genre for single player games today.
Assassin's Creed, Breath of the Wild, Just Cause, Sea of Thieves, Rage 2, WatchDogs, Fenyx Rising, PSO2NGS, Genshin Impact, BioMutant, StarLink, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, FarCry, Witcher, Dying Light, CyberPunk, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Pathless, Final Fantasy 15, FallOut, TES, Sunset OverDrive, Mario Odyssey, No Man's Sky, Red Dead Redemption, GTA, Metal Gear Solid 5, and so so soooo many others with all their many homogenized sequels with more in the pipeline.

Some better than others, sure. Some were like that at the inception of their franchise. But most follow the generic Ubisoft format. And half of them are Ubisoft. Me personally, I'm just tired of it. Like I still give some of these games a shot because the concept of an open world is enticing. But I'm just sick of how games right now do this. I feel like my experience is padded with frivolous bullshit to draw out game time with extremely artificial progression and no real problem solving.
I don't know about BioMutant specifically. And I don't think I care to find out the specifics. I respect the shockingly small team for shipping out an ambitious project like this and obviously it's unique in it's visuals/themes. But from a gameplay and progression point, It just looks like every other Legend of Witcher Theft Auto: Assassin's Scrolls of the Wild to me. I've been over it for like 5 years now. :/

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
That's a lot of those kind of games, and I can honestly say I dislike just about all of those except Elder Scrolls. If it isn't plagued by the problems that you mentioned, unlikable/boring characters and a shallow world written to be nothing much deeper than a toy box for humans, then it has other problems. The capture mechanic in Super Mario Odyssey sounds cool at first Until you realize most of the things you can capture are not really capable of doing anything besides moving a special way. In breath of the wild, I really just have to say this: NO ONE ASKED FOR WEAPONS THAT BREAK ALL THE TIME! When your most powerful weapons last about as long as the Giants butcher knife from Ocarina of Time, you know there's a problem. (You also forgot Kingdom Hearts 3 and Borderlands 3.)

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending the game Biomutant, but it does depress me every time a game that at least tries to do something different with the character is and the world fails. And I have to be honest, every time a game doesn't fall into the usual humans=good/everything else=bad cliche, I can be a little more forgiving towards a game. I can still realize the problems, but when you are just so tired of the same ol generic protagonists and shallow stories, it ends up creating a kind of take what you can get sort of feeling. And yes, I know that isn't the problem you are having in, but it still pains me. It just gives me the impression that the only thing I have to look forward to in the future is more of the same him because every time someone tries to have different characters and worlds, they fail.

I feel like I should really explain more in the venting topic.

Last edited:

Ratt Carry

The capture mechanic in Super Mario Odyssey sounds cool at first Until you realize most of the things you can capture are not really capable of doing anything besides moving a special way. In breath of the wild, I really just have to say this: NO ONE ASKED FOR WEAPONS THAT BREAK ALL THE TIME! When your most powerful weapons last about as long as the Giants butcher knife from Ocarina of Time, you know there's a problem. (You also forgot Kingdom Hearts 3 and Borderlands 3.)

Big facts.
Breath of the Wild for me was a slew of concerns. While it was the least of my problems, I actually don't believe how many people make up defenses for weapons breaking. Every time I hear people say "because it makes you think about your options" or "it would get boring using the same weapon", I wonder if we played the same game or if people ever played *any* video game. No one has ever made this complaint about any well received game built around a main attacking method.
In Doom 2, when you start getting swarmed by Pinky and Cacodemons, suddenly the single barrel shotgun has less use. You switch to the plasma gun in tighter areas or rocket launcher in open areas. In Borderlands, if I'm facing an armored flying enemy, I don't want to use my fire rocket launcher. I want to use my corrosive shotgun. These games miraculously found ways to force the player to switch weapons without taking anything from you...like literally thousands of other video games over the last 30 years. Shocker. Just imagine if Dante used Sparda too much and it fucking broke. Devil May Cry fans would LEVEL Capcom. It's almost like the environment, specialization, and enemy design play a part into combat. Only having a sword is boring if you only use it one way. There's 7000 characters in Smash Bros with a sword. Do they all play the same? lmao

If they removed it, no one would complain and it does a disservice to many other ways of attacking players just naturally chose to interact with. The only people who pretend to like weapons being taken from you, are the same people who like StarFox Zero's controls.
Nintendo just made up a problem, pretended it exists, and then "fixed" an imaginary design failing. And it kills me because the same people constantly REAM Ocarina of Time for having to go back into menus, yet what do you have to do in Wild every few swings of your weapon? lmfao

God, I hate that game.

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
@Ratt Carry - You're using a lot of words to ultimately say that open world games aren't your thing. Particularly given that you've lumped Mario Odyssey with Assassin's Creed, Witcher and TES. These are all open world, yes, but don't play similar enough for me to consider them identical genre's. However, that's fine, you don't have to like something because other people do. By and large I prefer open world to linear, you clearly don't.

Right now, the discussion kinda feels like "I don't like beer. I went to a beer garden and all they had was beer. It sucked."