• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Black Cat Appreciation Thread

B

blue sky love

Aren't they simply charming?
Black cats are my favorite kind of cat.
They are beautiful, sweet, affectionate and are also the least likely to be adopted.

Thinking of adopting a kitty? Adopt a black cat!

Had a black cat years ago who was a rescue from a kill shelter (I'm not sure I can tell the story since it involves some shenannigans). The intent was to smuggle him to a no-kill shelter who agreed to take him, but it was mid October and the no-kill shelter asked that we held on to him until after Halloween. After 2 days, became part of the family and we just decided to keep him. We named him Barnacle.

B

blue sky love

Had a black cat years ago who was a rescue from a kill shelter (I'm not sure I can tell the story since it involves some shenannigans). The intent was to smuggle him to a no-kill shelter who agreed to take him, but it was mid October and the no-kill shelter asked that we held on to him until after Halloween. After 2 days, became part of the family and we just decided to keep him. We named him Barnacle.
Awwe, he sounds like a sweet boy. I'm glad he found a home and that you found a new little buddy. :)

Awwe, he sounds like a sweet boy. I'm glad he found a home and that you found a new little buddy. :)

Yeah, he was a good boy; very friendly and affectionate and had the tiniest, meekest little meow.
Used to volunteer at the no-kill shelter and had to stop because I kept coming home with the otherwise "non-adoptable" cats. They had the saddest stories and it was too much.

B

blue sky love

Yeah, he was a good boy; very friendly and affectionate and had the tiniest, meekest little meow.
Used to volunteer at the no-kill shelter and had to stop because I kept coming home with the otherwise "non-adoptable" cats. They had the saddest stories and it was too much.
Awwwe. :-( May God bless you!

Anyone who loves cats that much is awesome in my opinion. :)

Kinare

RAWR
My bestest kitty ever was black. ;-; Her name was Blaze cuz she had a small white blaze on her chest. She was only like 3 years old when she got ran over on my way to school. v.v The only pic I have of her is this dime-sized pic that I cut out from another pic. It's in my wallet always.

I had another black kitty named Nova a few years ago. She had a bit of white on her tummy. I got her micro-chipped and everything... then she ended up running away, and because it was a very rural area no one ever found her so the chip was fucking useless. Ugh. She was only around a year old too. The only pic I have of her on this PC is of when she was a newborn with her siblings:
2014-04-23 16.54.40.jpg

Then there's the kitties my clients had. I always find comfort from felines in a home, especially so in the case of the following because they were both black and reminded me of Blaze.

This first pic was in a very, very stressful house. The lady was very particular about how she was taken care of and her family always fought with her. On top of that, they were the very definition of white trash, so it smelled awful and was dirty to the point that no amount of cleaning could ever make it truly clean. Oh, and 4 generations were stuffed into this small 3 bedroom trailer - her and her husband, their son, her daughter and the daughter's husband, and a "family friend" who was creepy as fuck... To the credit of my client, she wanted to get out of there and even considered a divorce because the environment was so awful and we all suspected her husband was cheating on her with one of the caregivers, who was also his sister-in-law. I don't know if she ever got out of there because we were only there temporarily. Anyhoo, the cat I liked:
2014-01-18 14.05.22.jpg

(You can see evidence of the trashiness in that pic... but focus on the pretty kitty.)

Then my most recent client, she had a kitty named Midnight. He was completely black, no white anywhere. Very beautiful boy, and he sure knew it. The first night I was at her house he curled up on my lap, which didn't happen again for at least a year and even after that was very rare, otherwise he would only come over to me for pets.
20160714_002326.jpg

Fentanyl

Bastard Boy
I have never had a cat of my own (except a stray whom I fed and raised and lived as an outdoor cat until he was taken in by someone else) but I will agree that black cats are lovely creatures who deserve lots of love and appreciation. It is a sad fact that black cats (and dogs) do not get adopted from shelters as readily as animals of other colors.

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
We've got a black cat too, his name is Domino. :) He's a sweet heart, and he's always up to the silliest of antics. I often see him curled up with our three legged tabby, Drifter. Those two are the best of buddies. Whenever I feel sick he likes to sit with me to comfort me.
He showed up one night when my boyfriend and I had been talking about how much we missed Storm, a beautiful gray kitty we had that passed away recently that year. As we pulled up in the driveway, there he was. So we took him in, at first we thought he looked like Storm and thought he might be her reincarnation. But the personalities are like night and day, and he was already a year old when we found him according to the vet. Still, I do like to think Storm's spirit sent him to comfort us.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
My kitty is white and orange but black kitties are great too!

Punji

Daedric Prince of Secrets
I used to have a big old unkempt bundle of long black fur which vaguely resembled a cat. His name was Nemo, and he was a free-roaming outdoor cat on my parent's acreage.

He was a very skittish cat and ran like lightning, so we could hardly ever get the chance to groom the poor guy. I always used to joke every time it started to rain he'd be on the other side of the clouds after the first drop landed on him. He was soft-hearted though.

EmmyCatto

I don’t use this site anymore
I have two black cats! They are both very sweet and one of them loves the attention. I'll get back to this thread when I have pictures of them.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Aren't they simply charming?
Black cats are my favorite kind of cat.
They are beautiful, sweet, affectionate and are also the least likely to be adopted.

YES, ABSOLUTELY!!! <the cat jumps with joy> I agree totally, they are the best. My IRL tail is a sleek black cat's tail. My friend has one that's soooo friendly!
Too bad about the superstitions, a bad rep keeping them from a good home. <smile>

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
I have a black and white tuxedo kitty who honestly is just a huge knucklehead. Her name is Sabrina. Her sister is solid white named Mischa. She's convinced she's just as camouflaged as a striped tabby cat, nature's perfect camo hunter. Tries to hide under things in the house but sticks out like a sore thumb.