• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Blocked Users?

fx1

How about the ability to IP ban someone from your account, even when they aren't logged into FA, they can't view your account.
Doesn't work. It's easy to visit FA through some proxy. Just face it, if you put it on the Web, it's public :rolleyes:

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
Ideally, a "block" means a user won't be able to interact with you in any that's visible to you or the general public. This is the paradigm I've been following in Ferrox, anyway.

This is not quite the case in the current code, but it's pretty close. (I'm not sure what sort of extra queries would be required to check a user's block list before sending a fave/watch notification in the current code.)

And no. There will not ever be per-gallery, user-controlled IP bans. I'm not sure why people think IP Addresses are magical, unchanging things that absolutely identify a user. IP bans only work in specific cases and most users wouldn't know how to set an effective one, anyway.

Last edited:
J

jayhusky

IP addresse come in two forms: static and dynamic

Static means they do NOT change and will stay the same forever
Dynamic means they change every time a new connection is established

An example of static ip = 23.234.34.2 (I dont know if this is a real ip)
A dynamic one is: 23.43.x.x (the last 2 change upon next connection (unknown if real ip)

IP bans really only work if the user has a static one as if you ip ban the dynamic sort you can affect multiple users

(This is for people who know little about IP addresses)

kusanagi-sama

Chakat Blackspots
IP addresse come in two forms: static and dynamic

Static means they do NOT change and will stay the same forever
Dynamic means they change every time a new connection is established

An example of static ip = 23.234.34.2 (I dont know if this is a real ip)
A dynamic one is: 23.43.x.x (the last 2 change upon next connection (unknown if real ip)

IP bans really only work if the user has a static one as if you ip ban the dynamic sort you can affect multiple users

(This is for people who know little about IP addresses)

Cable Internet usually is static, DSL, dialup and maybe wireless internet is dynamic

Stratelier

WOW what the fuck no

how do you propose to find the person's IP anyway

They wouldn't have to. If FA tags each comment with the originating IP address, they could just specify the username to block and FA could include the user's last associated IP in the block automatically, without having to reveal to the user what that IP is.

kusanagi-sama

Chakat Blackspots
They wouldn't have to. If FA tags each comment with the originating IP address, they could just specify the username to block and FA could include the user's last associated IP in the block automatically, without having to reveal to the user what that IP is.

Yeah, basically what I was thinking

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Then that'll just inspire people to use more loopholes. Besides, what about people with shared IPs?

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
what's the likelihood of two people sharing an IP where one of them is banned by user X but the other one is okay?

/devil's advocate

Kinda likely if the person uses college computers etc.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
what's the likelihood of two people sharing an IP where one of them is banned by user X but the other one is okay?

/devil's advocate
Y'know, before I got to this site... I'd have probably told you I didn't think it was common. But a lot of people share their net connections or live in "furry houses". Granted, there does come a point where I think you have to take the blame for a bad roommate...

So I guess like most everything it'd be on a case-by-case basis. Nothing's ever easy.

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game
Kinda likely if the person uses college computers etc.

this begs the question of how many people at any given university 1. use those computers 2. are furries 3. access FA from those computers

...which I'm kind of curious to know. haha.

re: 'Neer,
fair enough. but yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if Furry X has a problem with Furry A, who happens to live with Furry B, Furry X isn't going to be enamored of Furry B anyhow. ;)

dmfalk

Trust me on this, based on personal experience- IP bans don't work unless it's for a broad swath of addresses (ie: 127.0.0.*), but yes, IPs are NOT immutable and will change.

d.m.f.

Undying Song

My Little Gentleman

/devil's advocate

Likely. That happened to me before, unfortunately. I shared a house with someone who introduced me to an art site. They ended up for some reason getting themselves banned. I was banned also, because I shared the same IP.

I managed to get the issue resolved, but it took a lot of work on my part to have it done.

SammyFox

Temporary IP blocking.

I don't have a degree on this kind of stuff, but wouldn't temporary IP blocking destroy the whole purpose of blocking someone?

but the temporary ip blocking itself is flawed because

1) when it's lifted, the same guy might still harrass you, prompting you to get to the forums and ask for yet more draconian measures,
2) you'll still be blocking the unfortunate one who doesn't have anything to do in this but can't access the site because some idiot trolled you
3) as TSA said, it won't happen.

Valerion

The other issue, of course, is transparent proxies. South Africa has only a few tier-1 ISP's, and all of them uses transparent proxies (no choice here). Often (irritatingly) in a round-robin fashion. Every few weeks I manage to hit a proxy where a user abused Google and I am now forced to enter a captcha to search, or get a time block on Wikipedia for edits. I gave up trying to create an account there as well.

So if the site gets the wrong IP from the packet headers, or the proxy doesn't properly forward the real IP, then an IP-level ban can easily block an entire ISP.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
The other issue, of course, is transparent proxies. South Africa has only a few tier-1 ISP's, and all of them uses transparent proxies (no choice here). Often (irritatingly) in a round-robin fashion. Every few weeks I manage to hit a proxy where a user abused Google and I am now forced to enter a captcha to search, or get a time block on Wikipedia for edits. I gave up trying to create an account there as well.

So if the site gets the wrong IP from the packet headers, or the proxy doesn't properly forward the real IP, then an IP-level ban can easily block an entire ISP.

^ That.

Besides, like half of former soviet east uses wide area LANs which may contain from several to many hundreds of users, which all would have a single world-facing IP address.

No, IP bans are not happening.

shenryyr

What exactly is blocked when someone's name goes on the list? The description only says "Block users who are being rude or malicious towards you. Blocked users will not be able to view your user page." but there seems to be other ways harassment can continue via replies to comments.