• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Blue Ray

Zippo

Banned
Banned
Is the new format worth the price tag? I have seen the comparison specs on all the formats, personally i wait a year after the console comes out cuse A the price drios after the second xmas B there are alot of titles out for it and C the tech isnt as spankin new to have to fork over the cash to become a beta tester. But I detest, and ask you is the new format Blue Ray the new hot thing or the next betamax?

-Z

Ruiner

Sony has rarely, if ever, released a format that actually sticks. Sure, their mostly a media company, but given their history, I doubt BluRay will really step up to the plate.

Sad thing is, the PS3 runs exclusively on BluRay, so if the format fails and HD-DVD, or just flat out DVD-ROM's still stand, manufacturing costs will rize to produce the disks, and games will end up costing more.

This will = LAME!

Due to "copyright security issues", the first generation of Blu-Ray computer drives won't even have the ability to play movies on Blu-Ray discs. This is utter crap.

Blu-Ray is just a fad right now. Yes it's being hyped to the utter max, but it's just a fad. I predict that eventually HD-DVD will win out.

Ruiner

Betamax---------------FAILED
Video8-----------------Successful
MiniDisc----------------FAILED
MagicStick-------------Successful
3.5' Floppy Disc--------Mondo Successful
HiFD-------------------FAILED
SDDS------------------FAILED
ATRAC-----------------FAILED
ATRAC3----------------FAILED
UMD-------------------MONDO FAILURE

7-3?

Span_Wolf

From what I hear Blu-Ray is wholey unimpressive. They tout massive diskspace at a large cost of quality. One of my co-workers said at his last Blue-Ray demonstration that to him it didn't look all that better than DVD. I've also heard that Blue-Ray just functions on an older style Mpeg-2 format.

Silver R. Wolfe

Wuffamute Extraordinaire!
Span_Wolf said:
From what I hear Blu-Ray is wholey unimpressive. They tout massive diskspace at a large cost of quality. One of my co-workers said at his last Blue-Ray demonstration that to him it didn't look all that better than DVD. I've also heard that Blue-Ray just functions on an older style Mpeg-2 format.

From what I've heard, quality issues might be due to the player. Before saying anything like this, I'd wait for some more players come out before we compare them.

Ruiner

I thought two or three were out. all above a grand in MSRP...

I'll check.

EDIT::

-LG
BD199 Blu-ray Player

-Mitsubishi
Mitsubishi Blu-ray Player

-Panasonic
DMP-BD10 Blu-ray Player

-Philips
BDP9000 Blu-ray Player

-Pioneer
BDP-HD1 Blu-ray Player

-Samsung
BD-P1000 Blu-ray Player

-Sharp
DV-BP1U Blu-ray Player

-Sony
BDP-S1 Blu-ray Player

Yep...

Hyenaworks

Oh Derpy! That's not a letter
It doesn't matter to me. I won't be moving beyond DVD. So Blu Ray AND HD-DVD lose.

Silver R. Wolfe

Wuffamute Extraordinaire!
RE:  Blue Ray

Ruiner said:
I thought two or three were out. all above a grand in MSRP...

I'll check.

EDIT::

-LG
BD199 Blu-ray Player

-Mitsubishi
Mitsubishi Blu-ray Player

-Panasonic
DMP-BD10 Blu-ray Player

-Philips
BDP9000 Blu-ray Player

-Pioneer
BDP-HD1 Blu-ray Player

-Samsung
BD-P1000 Blu-ray Player

-Sharp
DV-BP1U Blu-ray Player

-Sony
BDP-S1 Blu-ray Player

Yep...

I know there are several in the works, but I've only heard of the Samsung one being available to consumers.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Sony will run Blu-Ray's unimpressiveness into the ground like they did with UMD Movies.

TheListener

I'll probally invest in whatever is cheaper at the time... and from what I am hearing from random rumors and whatnot, looks like it will be HD-DVD that will be the cheapest next gen format. Then again, my eyes aren't the best, so I'm sticking to old fashioned, non-HD TVs for a while.

Ruiner

You can also get televisions that arn't dedicated to HD, my television has an HDMI adaptor.

Whatever thats supposed to be.

Anyway, I can watch HD channels that I don't pay for, so its cool.