• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Bolt

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Thats basically an interactive construction step of a sketch. Its a skeleton. It also makes animating large motions ridiculously simple. Especially when compared to doing the same motion in a traditional animation

But the art of rigging itself has no equivalent in 2D, which is what you asked for. All the painting weights, parenting, constraining, making controls, writing expressions, and all that other good stuff is purely unique to 3D animation.

Also, I'm going to be away from internets for a few days thanks to Thanksgiving, so just agree with me and move on, eh?

Last edited:

WolfoxOkamichan

Luffs Buff Wuffs
Is Miley Cyrus the hamster? Don't worry, he's not featured prominently.

Finally got to see it, and I must say... it's surprising and awesome at the same time being a tear-jerker!

SPOILERS

Bolt isn't being naive for the sake of it - they actually explained that they isolated him so that he would act realistically. It's quite touching and at the same time hurting that his owner is forced to do that.

Bolt is also smart despite of that. I also love his "super dog" to normal dog transformation.

Also the movie has tons of foreshadowing! Well-placed, not out of place, and yeah, so much tear-jerk moments.

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
But the art of rigging itself has no equivalent in 2D, which is what you asked for

I asked for something I couldnt give you an equivalent too. I can give an equivalent. Its a construction sketch. The fact that is made permanent and aids you in making your animations much easier only serves my point. Obviously, since traditional animation doesnt have a 3d model, it isnt going to have things that go into making a 3d model. But that doesnt mean that there isnt some equivalent process in 2d animation that has to get repeated, watched, and highly scrutinized to achieve the same results.

painting weights

Consistently applying theories weight and distribution to a real drawing over and over again. And once again, something you add to the model once so you dont have to do it again.

parenting, constraining, making controls, writing expressions, and all that other good stuff is purely unique to 3D animation.

I dont know what any of that is, but if you tell me, Ill find you an equivalent. Im guessing many of them have equations in then, making you think that makes them unique to the media. True, an 2d animator most likely isnt going to do equations (they could if they really wanted to) but the point of the equations is to cause something to happen, that a 2d animator also would have to do, only without having to worry about getting it right all the time. Different medium, same results, therefore equivalent.

Also, I'm going to be away from internets for a few days thanks to Thanksgiving, so just agree with me and move on, eh?

How about we agree to disagree? That way you dont seem like a dick for trying to "win" because youre leaving (how does that work?) and I dont look like a dick for pressing the issue when you cant attempt to make some counter point.

Shading algorithms

Um... painting the shade on a figure over and over again by hand in each and every frame? The purpose of the equation is labor saving =\ Just because you use an equation to achieve the same results doesnt make the process unique, youre just limited by your chosen medium.

But yes, lets agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Is Miley Cyrus the hamster? Don't worry, he's not featured prominently.
Uhh, Miley Cyrus does the voice for the girl, Penny. But what you said is also true for Penny. Even though Bolt's separation from Penny is a central point of the plot, a large portion of the movie focuses on Bolt's journey back to her with Mittens and Rhino. For being such an essential character, the amount of screen time Penny gets is comparatively limited.

Also, I said this already but I think some people overlooked it. Watch the HD trailer. It shows just how beautiful the art style is.
http://www.myspace.com/trailerpark

TwilightV

HELL YEAH!!!
Okay, i'm really hoping Chris Sanders left Disney of his own accord. After reading about John Lasseter's career, it would be a really cruel irony if he fired him...

Eh, I don't think the story will be really hooking if it was did in its original script.

Also, Penny says few lines, but at least we are shown enough scenes to warrant that she actually cares for Bolt.
Oh, I wasn't doubting the sincerity of Penny's character. I was just reassuring everyone that even someone who hates Miley Cyrus would by no means have the movie ruined for them because of her voice acting.

TwilightV

HELL YEAH!!!
Eh, I don't think the story will be really hooking if it was did in its original script.

Also, Penny says few lines, but at least we are shown enough scenes to warrant that she actually cares for Bolt.

Miss the point of my post?

Anyways, I have no problem with Miley being in the film. In a few years, she'll be just another footnote, like Hillary Duff.

TwilightV

HELL YEAH!!!
That may be, but of all of Pixar's movies, Cars is the only one I find unnappealing. And wouldn't you know it... it's getting a sequel, which it really doesn't deserve.

TwilightV

HELL YEAH!!!
And if you haven't figured out the irony part, I meant that John Lasseter was also fired by Disney for one of his works (Which was also rejected then remade by Disney).

Ty Vulpine

Nope.

And again, I stand by my point - *cough Cars*

But yeah, the movie is awesome, and that's all that matters.

Not even having Dale Earnhardt Jr, Darrell Waltrip, Richard Petty, Michael Schumacher, Jay Leno, Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Billy Crystal, John Goodman could save "Cars"...too many celebrities costing the movie money that could have been spent improving the film.

TwilightV

HELL YEAH!!!
Okay. I actually went to see it, and I have to say, my opinion on it has not changed. The story was waaaay too quirky (even by Disney standards). If not for the decent work of the artists and actors, this movie would have been a major B-O-M-B. And Rhino has got to have one of THE MOST overused personalities in movies. Did you notice that he clearly ripped off Kronk in that one scene (if you've seen it, you know the one).

GatodeCafe

Cowardly Coyote
Just saw Bolt. Without a doubt, this probably rates as one of the cutest films in the Disney canon. And that's really saying something.

I thought the animation was amazing, and the plot, aside from being a complete cliche, complete with convenient "Trans-America" plot device, was engrossing enough for Disney's main demographic. True, I wish Rhino could've been less annoying and true, the writing could've been a bit more polished, but as a whole, I felt that the film succeeded. And the ending. I mean shit. I was d'aaawwwing all the way through the damn movie. Sassy New Yorkian cat, finds a home?

You know, shit like that is cliche for a reason. Because it's fucking awesome.

WolfoxOkamichan

Luffs Buff Wuffs
Again, premise vs. execution. Any overused or cliche premise can still be made of win because of the execution.

And yeah, while I too don't like Rhino, at least he knows when to "step out" on serious/emotional elements.

Heck, the movie screams of Bolt/Mittens and you know it!

Also, needs moar Bolt musclefur

1226331934.kyuuhari_bolt.jpg
1226675435.kyuuhari_shy_bolt.jpg

Last edited:

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
Oh dear...