• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

bullies in the fandom..?

R

Ruditsu

im just wondering.. not to seem like a click bait or anything but.. there seems to be a lot of hate/bullying in the fandom about many things... why so..? i've been dealing with it for like a few weeks now.... and i thought furries were nice and accepting people as long as you are yourslef and making your own art.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Furries are people. Some people are awesome. Some people simply suck. If you're bullied on here, I recommended using the "report" link at the bottom of the offending post or private message.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
What are people bullying you about? That’s lame, we should all be here to have fun.
I wish it was that easy. Alas, needless drama pervasive in the furry community. :( I try make peace where I can but that isn't always possible.

MalibuCat

Lioness, beach bum
I wish it was that easy. Alas, needless drama pervasive in the furry community. :( I try make peace where I can but that isn't always possible.
Dang! Guess I haven’t been here long enough lol. What kinds of things typically cause drama here?

Bullslayer

every fandom has a few bad people in it, trolls run ramped on the internet cause they think they are safe hiding behind their little monitors. Most would prob wet them selves in a real life confrentation.... *smirks*

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Dang! Guess I haven’t been here long enough lol. What kinds of things typically cause drama here?
Usually people taking things far too personally. Some of it has to do with maturity. There are a LOT of furries who teenagers or college-aged so stuff that caused drama in high school (relationships, attempts at being the popular furs, et cetera) tend to cause drama in the fandom. It doesn't help that a lot of furries treat FAF like it's a dating site so there's the assumption that talking to a furry means you're interested in dating them.

I've had to deal with that a lot personally. I'm much older than most furs here and I have a mate I'm very happy to be with. Nevertheless some ppl have assumed that me saying hi was the equivalent of being hit on by a creepy old dude. Uh... no, I just want to meet new and interesting people regardless of age or gender.

BeauJayWolffo47

Here To Stay It Seems!
Ahhh Well no ones perfect and people are still people... sorry to hear about ya problem! I Hope everything is ok tho!

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
Bullies exist everywhere, though I think the statement "furries accept everyone" has been a pretty damaging statement. The community shouldn't have to put up with legitimately bad people (e.g. racists, zoophiles, etc.) just for the sake of being seen as welcoming because that'll potentially scare off nice people and makes other people in the fandom feel uncomfortable/unsafe.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Bullies exist everywhere, though I think the statement "furries accept everyone" has been a pretty damaging statement. The community shouldn't have to put up with legitimately bad people (e.g. racists, zoophiles, etc.) just for the sake of being seen as welcoming because that'll potentially scare off nice people and makes other people in the fandom feel uncomfortable/unsafe.

In this case I think people accused the OP of imitating another artist, because their styles appear similar, which is something that people definitely shouldn't do.
I'm not sure why people would regard drawing in a similar style to somebody else as a bad thing anyway; it just means even more art that the fans are likely to enjoy is being made.

R

Ruditsu

In this case I think people accused the OP of imitating another artist, because their styles appear similar, which is something that people definitely shouldn't do.
I'm not sure why people would regard drawing in a similar style to somebody else as a bad thing anyway; it just means even more art that the fans are likely to enjoy is being made.
yeah i'm currently have been dealing with that problem somewhat, some people keep saying mean stuff to me just because my style looks similar to someone else's..

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
There are definitely bullies in the fandom, as well as creepers/stalkers, drama llamas, art/character thieves, and general troublemakers and self-declared "victims."
I guess you have to decide whether it's worth it to confront them or simply ignore/block them.
There was a guy in a RP group who, nearly every week, had some bone to pick with someone about something. It was usually because he'd been caught breaking one of the group rules and someone called him out on it, so he'd have a little tantrum and say "everyone" was "picking on" him. In truth, he was disrespectful to the mods and continued to challenge the rules in place rather than just admit that he'd broken them.
We dealt with it as much as we could and finally just banned/booted him from the group, because he was starting to drive away other players.

If someone is really bothering you or targeting you, especially in a moderated chat or forum, you can usually contact the admins to report the harassment.
You may also be able to just block them so they cannot contact you privately, though that doesn't always solve the issue if they are still posting "bully" posts about you to others in the forum.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
ignore/block/report
don't participate in conversation with them and don't even let on that it's getting to you in any manner (including making posts like this one)
Get administration involved

That's the best way to keep the harassment at a minimum and to keep yourself from being a more visible target

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
im just wondering.. not to seem like a click bait or anything but.. there seems to be a lot of hate/bullying in the fandom about many things... why so..? i've been dealing with it for like a few weeks now.... and i thought furries were nice and accepting people as long as you are yourslef and making your own art.
@Ruditsu Hmmm..... (honestly): your statements to me seem a little vague - as to what your exact concerns are; and whether you're talking about the Fandom (in general) or... this specific Forum platform (in particular).... or - both of them.

And so - it's difficult for me to offer you any concrete feedback or advice, based on the little information there is for me to go on.... concerning your situation.

If you're just talking in general terms - well, yes.... there's "hate/bullying" in the Fandom (as you say) - and there always has been, since day one. But.... (to be frank) - that's also true for just about any community out there that exists in the World..... where there are often times different perspectives and different ways of doing things, (amongst the various members), who often share a mutual interest.

If you're being bothered on here by other users - honestly: (I feel your pain); and - I've had (my own) experiences of "ruffled fur" on occasion over the years on here..... and so - I know what that's like. But - that also kinda "comes with the territory" (with any social media platform that we choose to use) - and so, I usually just block said users, (report them, if need be)... and move on.... if I have any problems.

And perhaps that'd be an option for you. ;)

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
idk, I think people get really protective about art sometimes especially with the amount of people who trace and steal art. but that's honestly something people need to take up with the artist privately :/

volkinaxe

i am now on https://www.anthrodex.com
it makes me sad to know this butt yes bullying in fandom is a problem we all need to look out for each other