• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Burning Mountain (An Interactive Story)

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
Welcome to Burning Mountain
An Interactive Story

In this game you essentially play as the Navi of this story: a helpful sprite who occasionally interjects during the adventure of a dauntless hero. You may aid him, you may advise him, but regardless of what you say or don't say, he will be marching forward like the hero he is.

(Credit to Shiloh for helping with this story)

Last edited:

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
Burning mountain
In the abode of an aged old wizard where potions and books pile upon any level surface; hauled away in one of the chambers, Hienz the wizard stands by his pot of magics perfecting his brew. Suddenly a knock at the door.

"Knock knock Yo Hiens!! Its me, open the door!" Seems some impatient fellow has dropped by to pay the old wizard a visit.

"Hold your horses Benethir, I’m on my way."
Moments later the door is opened. And standing outside amongst the wood is a knight in black armor.
"I got a mission from the guild. We’re killing The Dragon of Burning Mountain." Says the knight

"You mean you’re killing The Dragon of Burning Mountain. I am staying right here." Replys the wizard

"I see that you are busy but can’t your books wait for once?"

… Hienz doesnt reply

"Fine Hiens, have it your way. I could easily handle this myself. I just thought it would be fun to go with a friend. It’s always better to adventure with someone you trust!"

"Oh Benethir... I'm touched.
But I’m sorry, I cannot go."

"Fine! Whatever. I’ll be on my way then!"

"Hold on, hold on. Let me get you something."

The old wizard goes thru his belongings

"Take this with you. I'm far too busy to assist in person but this tiny creature can serve as a guide. This sprite will provide useful tips and aid you in a variety of ways."

"It can’t even wield a sword, how is this supposed to help me?

"Hmmm… Perhaps it won't be of much help. But regardless, it at least will keep you company."

"Uh, thanks Hiens… I’ll take this thing with me, but when I’m in the middle of battle facing down a ferocious dragon without backup, I’ll be thinking of you. Come on then little fella, let’s go slay a dragon."

Continue to Act 1

Last edited:

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
The Dragon of Burning Mountain lives, surprisingly enough, in Burning Mountain. The name is recent. For years it was a normal mountain that required no special name but ever since the dragon showed up, all the forests and villages near the base of the mountain have been catching fire. The guild now sends its hero to slay the dragon.

Benethir the warrior, despite signing up for this very task, seems unconcerned with the dragon; he goes on to rant about a different subject entirely.
"It’s guild business. Hienz should be here. What’s so great about books anyway? You can’t kill something with a book! It’s stupid is what it is. And cowardly! He’s afraid of a measly dragon!"

Along the road, a small group of bandits are hiding behind the trees and foliage.

You could warn Benethir of the danger. What do you do?

>Warn Benethir

Though the knight was lost in thought, You manage to warn the warrior of the impending danger.

"Huh? What’s this?" Says the alarmed knight

The first arrow whizzes toward Benethir. He catches it in his fist.

Spotting the 3 bandits, he strikes down the bandit who fired the arrow. The second bandit attempts bury his knife into the warrior, but the warrior dodges the assault and strikes him instead. Benethir grins as he advances onto the third bandit, the one who had been unlucky enough to challenge an accomplished knight.

"Blimey, The runt done caught our arrows!"

"You thought you could challenge me? Fool!"

"Gahhh…." Benethir makes short work of the bandit. The road is quiet once more. Benethir gives you a respectful nod.

As you travel, the bushes become more numerous, and the trees taller and thicker. Soon the path fades and you find yourself traversing thick foliage, which obscures your vision.

You are not alone, someone else is traveling this paths. Between the undergrowth , peering through the leaves you spot a man that is not a bandit at all, but rather an elderly priest.

You have a choice.
>Tell Benethir to attack!

Nothing stops a warrior once he has spotted his foe. Benethir rips through the undergrowth and cuts down the man before he can so much as scream.
"well that was easy." Benethir Huffs.
"Wait a minute… a priestly robe, an easy fight?" It is not until the old man lies unmoving that Benethir realizes that this old man is no bandit, he is a priest gathering herbs in the woods. "Do you mean to tell me i knocked out this old man for no reason!?"
Benethir "You are a terrible guide sir sprite." Benethir is looking rather annoyed. That is Until he spots a potion the priest had dropped "Well no matter. This potion will be helpful for the both of us."
Benethir leans over to wipe his sword off on the grass. Picks up the potion and drains it in one gulp. He leaves the elder with the empty flask.
Continue to Act 2A
>You Do nothing

The old man sees the warrior and throws his hands into the air.
"Please don’t hurt me!"

" I wouldn’t harm an old man like you! I only fight enemy soldiers! And bandits! And dragons. And the occasional raccoon that threatens the village… that is, I wish you no harm."

"Oh you’re a warrior? I thought you had that look about you. And a wounded one at that. Here, I have just the thing for you. Take this potion. May our kind lord keep his watch over you on your travels. "

Benethir thanks the elderly priest and they head their separate ways.

The two continue their journey

Continue to Act 2B
>You did nothing

The first arrow whizzes toward the unprepared Benethir. It sinks deep into his shoulder.
"Ye’d best drop yer gold and yer blade if you know what's best for yah." Says one of the bandits.
Enraged. The knight pulls out the arrow and rushes the bandits.
A second arrow lands harmlessly in the dirt behind him as he strikes down the first bandit in reach.
"Gahhh…."

"Blimey He took out charlie."
"don't want to mess with im’ lets scram."
The archers, seeing what has become of their friend, flee. The road is quiet once more.
Benethir doesn't look too well.
As you travel, the bushes become more numerous, and the trees taller and thicker. Soon the path fades and you find yourself traversing thick foliage, which obscures your vision.

You are not alone, someone else is traveling this paths. Between the undergrowth , peering through the leaves you spot a man that is not a bandit at all, but rather an elderly priest.

You have a choice.
>You Tell Benethir to attack!

Nothing stops a warrior once he has spotted his foe. Benethir rips through the undergrowth and cuts down the man before he can so much as scream.
"well that was easy." Benethir Huffs.
"Wait a minute… a priestly robe, an easy fight?" It is not until the old man lies unmoving that Benethir realizes that this old man is no bandit, he is a priest gathering herbs in the woods. "Do you mean to tell me i knocked out this old man for no reason!?"
Benethir "You are a terrible guide sir sprite." Benethir is looking rather annoyed. That is Until he spots a potion the priest had dropped "Well no matter. This potion will be helpful for the both of us."
Benethir leans over to wipe his sword off on the grass. Picks up the potion and drains it in one gulp. He leaves the elder with the empty flask.

Continue to Act 2C
>You Do nothing

The old man sees the warrior and throws his hands into the air.
"Please don’t hurt me!"

" I wouldn’t harm an old man like you! I only fight enemy soldiers! And bandits! And dragons. And the occasional raccoon that threatens the village… that is, I wish you no harm."

"Oh you’re a warrior? I thought you had that look about you. And a wounded one at that. Here, I have just the thing for you. Take this potion. May our kind lord keep his watch over you on your travels. "

Benethir thanks the elderly priest and they head their separate ways.

The two continue their journey

Continue to Act 2A

Last edited:

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
Out of the forest at last, you have arrived to the base of Burning Mountain. The air is hot and sticky and every flap of your wings takes effort.

"The evil dragon is up there!" Says Benethir

Yes. The danger of the mission finally hits you. A dragon is a different beast from bandits or priests in the woods. Are you sure you can handle this? Are you sure Benethir can?

You have a choice
>You ask Benethir to abandon the mission, it’s too dangerous.

"You want me to abandon my quest? You’re just as bad as him! You’re cowards! The both of you!"
Benethir marches on. After a moment, you follow.

You have no idea how the warrior stands the heat in all that armor but he hasn’t stopped to rest. His breaths huff rhythmically, almost loud enough that you don’t hear the scraping of… something against stone.

You have a choice
>Point out the strange sound

"What’s That?!" Benethir heeds your warning and stops to control his breathing. You silently point out the dragon’s tail.

"That could have been bad." Says the knight.
After a tense moment, the tail slithers deeper into the tunnels. You continue toward the heart of Burning Mountain.

"WHO DARES ENTER THE DOMAIN OF MOLOG THE MIGHTY?"

Benethir ever confident proclaims "It is I! Benethir the mighty warrior! You threaten my country and for that you shall be slain!"

"I Molog, Threaten your country!?? Your rumors mean nothing knight. I know your kind, you are here for nothing but your own glory. Leave while you have the chance puny human, those who trespass in my domain do not survive."

"Your presence alone threatens a great many villages dragon. On behalf of the villagers and in the name of my guild I’ll remove threats like you from the world! "

As Benethir speaks, fire gathers in the dragon’s mouth.

You have a choice
>You warn Benethir of the coming attack

Molog opens his massive jaws and scorching fire jets from his mouth.
To your surprise, Benethir drops to the ground and remains unharmed.
"Ha! You missed Foolish lizard!"
You notice that, although the walls are scorched, the cave floor is untouched. Odd.

Continue to Act 3B
>Do nothing

Molog opens his massive jaws and scorching fire jets from his mouth. Benethir in all his bravado fails to react to the fiery breath of the dragon and is scorched for it.

"You will regret that, Dragon!"

Continue to Act 3B
>You Do nothing

There’s a huge noise and the cavern shakes, causing stones to fall from the ceiling.

"What was that?"
Benethir’s question is answered a moment later when a giant green tail slams into the wall.

Benethir looks frightened.

After a tense moment, the tail slithers deeper into the tunnels. You continue toward the heart of Burning Mountain.

Benethir ever confident proclaims "It is I! Benethir the mighty warrior! You threaten my country and for that you shall be slain!"

"I Molog, Threaten your country!?? Your rumors mean nothing knight. I know your kind, you are here for nothing but your own glory. Leave while you have the chance puny human, those who trespass in my domain do not survive."

"Your presence alone threatens a great many villages dragon. On behalf of the villagers and in the name of my guild I’ll remove threats like you from the world! "

You have a choice

You notice that, although the walls are scorched, the cave floor is untouched. Odd.

Continue to Act 3B
>Do nothing

Molog opens his massive jaws and scorching fire jets from his mouth. Benethir in all his bravado fails to react to the fiery breath of the dragon and is scorched for it.

Continue to Act 3A
>Do nothing

You say nothing. Why would you? Benethir is a hero, he can handle a measly dragon. You shoot him a smile.

The two continue there march

"Onward sprite!"

You have no idea how the warrior stands the heat in all that armor but he hasn’t stopped to rest. His breaths huff rhythmically, almost loud enough that you don’t hear the scraping of… something against stone.

You have a choice

"What’s That?!" Benethir heeds your warning and stops to control his breathing. You silently point out the dragon’s tail.

You have a choice

Continue to Act 3C
>Do nothing

Continue to Act 3B
>You Do nothing

There’s a huge noise and the cavern shakes, causing stones to fall from the ceiling.

"What was that?"
Benethir’s question is answered a moment later when a giant green tail slams into the wall.

You have a choice

Continue to Act 3B
>Do nothing

Continue to Act 3B

Last edited:

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
Out of the forest at last, you have arrived to the base of Burning Mountain. The air is hot and sticky and every flap of your wings takes effort.

Yes. The danger of the mission finally hits you. A dragon is a different beast from bandits or priests in the woods. Are you sure you can handle this? Are you sure Benethir can?

You have a choice

"You want me to abandon my quest? You’re just as bad as him! You’re cowards! The both of you!"

You have a choice

You have a choice

Continue to Act 3C
>Do nothing

Continue to Act 3B
>You Do nothing

"What was that?"

You have a choice

Continue to Act 3B
>Do nothing

Continue to Act 3B
>Do nothing

You say nothing. Why would you? Benethir is a hero, he can handle a measly dragon. You shoot him a smile.

"Onward sprite!"

You have a choice

You have a choice

Continue to Act 3C
>Do nothing

Continue to Act 3C
>You Do nothing

"What was that?"

You have a choice

Continue to Act 3C
>Do nothing

Continue to Act 3B

Last edited:

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.

You have a choice

You have a choice

You have a choice

Continue to Act 3B
>Do nothing

Continue to Act 3A
>You Do nothing

"What was that?"

You have a choice

Continue to Act 3A
>Do nothing

Continue to Act 3A
>Do nothing

"Onward sprite!"

You have a choice

You have a choice

Continue to Act 3B
>Do nothing

Continue to Act 3B
>You Do nothing

"What was that?"

You have a choice

Continue to Act 3B
>Do nothing

Continue to Act 3A

Last edited:

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
More fire begins to gather in Molog’s mouth. Benethir is completely focused on the dragon’s face that he doesn’t see the dragons massive claws.

You got two options
>You warn Benethir about the surprise attack

Fire fills the cavern.
Your warning came soon enough for him to dodge the dragon’s claws and his fiery breath.

Benethir raises his sword.

The battle is long and grueling but you are no longer needed. Benethir rolls, cuts and dodges like he was born for this battle. Every time Molog shifts and exposes his soft underbelly Benethir sees the opening and strikes. "You will not win little human! You cannot slay the mighty Molog!"
The dragon rears up for a final attack but you can see that the battle has taken its toll. The Dragon is weakened.
"This is for the guild!"
Benethir’s sword sinks deep into the dragon’s belly. It’s clear that the fight is over.

Continue to the Conclusion and select ending B
>You do nothing

When the smoke clears you see Benethir slumped against the wall.
"Your trickery cannot defeat me! Fight like a man, dragon!"

Benethir charges forward, invigorated in his fury.

The battle is long and grueling but you are no longer needed. Benethir rolls, cuts and dodges like he was born for this battle. Every time Molog shifts and exposes his soft underbelly Benethir sees the opening and strikes. "You will not win little human! You cannot slay the mighty Molog!"
The dragon rears up for a final attack but you can see that the battle has taken its toll. The Dragon is weakened.
"This is for the guild!"
Benethir’s sword sinks deep into the dragon’s belly. It’s clear that the fight is over.
Continue to the Conclusion and select ending A
"You humans and your foul nature! So eager to settle every problem with violence."

"You say we’re violent and yet you attacked first! I am ready with my blade but you are just as eager with your fire! You threaten entire towns with your very presence!"

Fire gathers in Molog’s mouth…
You see that he is vulnerable

You have a choice
> You Point out the dragon’s weakness

Spurred on by your directions, Benethir moves before the dragon can react. He launches himself across the cavern with a mighty leap. His sword sinks into Molog’s outstretched neck. From there he makes short work of the dragon.
Both you and Benethir exit the cave, injured but confident. The villagers can rest safely knowing you have slain the dragon.
Continue to the Conclusion and select ending C
>You do nothing

Caught unaware, Benethir is unable to dodge the next gout of flame. It collides into his chest, knocking him back against the wall. Undeterred, the warrior brandishes his sword. What follows is a long and difficult fight. Benethir eventually triumphs over the mighty Molog.

Both you and Benethir exit the cave, injured but confident. The villagers can rest safely knowing you have slain the dragon.

Continue to the Conclusion and select ending B
"You humans and your foul nature! So eager to settle every problem with violence."

"You say we’re violent and yet you attacked first! I am ready with my blade but you are just as eager with your fire! You threaten entire towns with your very presence!"

Fire gathers in Molog’s mouth…
but something seems off...
The dragon seems to hesitate.

>You point out the dragons vulnerability

Spurred on by your directions, Benethir moves before the dragon can react. He launches himself across the cavern with a mighty leap. His sword sinks into Molog’s outstretched neck. From there he makes short work of the dragon.

You descend from the mountain with the dragon defeated. The journey down is quiet. At the bottom of the mountain,
Benethir turns to you.
"Heins will be glad to have you back. Your journey, it appears, is at its end.

Continue to the Conclusion and select ending C
> You do nothing

The dragon Hesitates "You say my presence is causing death? I have killed no one from your town. I have hardly left this mountain since arriving, you have no reason to blame me for their misfortunes!"

The knight also withdraws his weapon.
"That can’t be true, ever since you arrived the mountain has gotten hotter and hotter! Fire spouts into the sky and burns where it falls! How is that not your fault?'

The dragon looks annoyed but replies in earnest
"This mountain has been erupting as of late, but my presence on this mountain is not to blame."

"That must mean the Fire comes from the mountain itself. "

"I have said already that I have no interest in killing your people warrior. I do not want to kill anyone, nor do I desire to constantly fight knights who arrive on my doorstep with the wrong idea. I will leave. Goodbye brave warrior."

Benethir stands back and watches as Molog flaps his wings and rises into the air. Soon the dragon leaves, nothing more than a green dot in the sky.

You and benethir descend from the mountain. The journey down is quiet. At the bottom of the mountain,
Benethir turns to you.
"Heins will be glad to have you back."
Your journey, it appears, is at its end.

Continue to the Conclusion and select ending D

Last edited:

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
After a long journey both you and Benethir return to the wizards abode.

"KNOCK KNOCK Hey Hiens open the door! "

"Just a moment, I’m in the middle of-!"

The knight Benethir returns with the sprite.
"I let myself in."

"Ah well, studying takes time Benethir. Did you complete your mission?"

"yeah, the dragon’s gone."

" Right… That’s good. Was my sprite able to assist you?"

"About that…"

Hiens listens as Benethir recounts his adventure.

"Well I expected as much." Says Hiens with a look of disappointment.
"The guild will want to know." Replys Benethir
"Go tell them then. I’m sure they’ll all be very excited. Now get out of my shop I have a lot of work to do and you’re spoiling my concentration."
And with that Benethir turns and slams the door behind him.
Hiens continues to work undisturbed in his studies.
"Yes… a new recipe. Less nightshade perhaps. And maybe a bat’s ear."
The wizard raises his hand and snaps. You are gone.

The end

"Ah, good good. All is as expected then. See, you don’t need my help after all. Why don’t you tell the guild of your success?"
"Yeah."
And with that Benethir returns you to the wizard, in turn you return to your shelf. They will be back, you know, before the next adventure. For now, it’s time to rest.

The End

"It looks like my sprite provided some help after all! That’s good. I’m proud. You look like you’ve gotten a little scorched there my friend, why don’t I see to that before you inform the guild of your victory?"

"Sure. Will you come with me on the next quest?"

"Perhaps... but you have done well my friend, you don’t need my help."

Benethir nods, though you can see he does not look wholly convinced.

The End

"Fantastic! That is wonderful. I’ll need to examine this link between dragons and related fiery activity. Well whatever the case the Dragon is gone you should tell the guild the good news Benethir!"
"I’ll do that. But uh, as great as the sprite was, I missed you. You’re still part of the guild, you should come on the next quest."
Hiens takes a moment to think of his proposal.
"Yes. Yes, that could be just what I need! A chance to get some sun on these old bones and observe things up close. That’s a good idea old friend!" "All of my ideas are good." Replys Benethir
"Yes… Let’s quit while we’re ahead, shall we?"

And that is the end of the adventure. You join the two as they journey back to the guild.
Thats all folks!

Last edited: